All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Help translating parish record
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2017 :  14:22:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kåarto

quote:

From the Family-tree; Christen's grandfather Halsten Torgiersen ca 1679 was born in Flesberg his wife Torgan Herbrandsdatter was from Evju in Sandsvær (East from Brende), but her father Herbrand Gislesen Ørstein d. 1723 was also from Flesberg, his wife Jøran Olsdatter d. before 1725, her origin is unknown.

Herbrand Gislesen Ørstein, the family-tree is probably from the "Bygdebook" for Flesberg, 7 volumes, link

He bought farm Evju in Sandsvær from Daniel von Hellenbach in 1682 for 470 RiksDaler

Kåre

Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2017 :  00:00:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
An old record.
Sergeant Torsten Hansen Grosvold 1784-1862 mentioned above
His G.G.G.Grandfather was Niels Grosvold b. ca 1600, rec. as tax payer on Grosvold 1627 and 1628.
Niels died 1678, buried in Hedenstad church July 3.
Dom (Sunday) 3 Julii Hed: Niels Grosvold,
Left page line 9 from bottom

That will be all for today.
Niels had some very interesting neighbors

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

meghanf
Starting member

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2017 :  16:41:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

A family tree for you, click here

From the Family-tree; Christen's grandfather Halsten Torgiersen ca 1679 was born in Flesberg his wife Torgan Herbrandsdatter was from Evju in Sandsvær (East from Brende), but her father Herbrand Gislesen Ørstein d. 1723 was also from Flesberg, his wife Jøran Olsdatter d. before 1725, her origin is unknown.

Kåre

Halstein Torgiersen was from one of the two Lehovd farms in Flesberg.
In the map's window, create a distance between Nedre and Lehovd when searching

Kåre

Thank you again, I was able to locate the Lehovd farm near Flesberg on the map. So fun to find such deep roots in the Sandsvaer area.
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2017 :  23:45:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In 1392 Gunnulv Haavardsson sold a part in Grosvold to Bishop Eystein. In Bishop Eysteins "Røde bok" Farm register from 1395 Grosvold was written Gratzuallom, in 1577 Gressuoldt, 1595 Graadtzuold.
On the other Grosvold farm, it was ca two arrow-shots between the farms, it was acc. to the farm register in accounting book 1577-78 for the County a Niels Grosvold who accidentally had killed a priest. The reason is not mentioned, perhaps he was partowner in Hedenstad church? (many churches were owned by farmers)
Acc. to local oral saga the priest had began to ring with the bells before Niles has taken his place in the church. Perhaps this degenerated after the ceremony...........
In 1585 after a year in freedom he was arrested by Christen Munch and executed and the farm was taken over by the king, called "Krongods" (owned by the crown)

After 1615 a new owner arrived.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 09/02/2017 00:09:27
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2017 :  17:17:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1614-15 in Tønsberg court house Christopher Arnesen Loftstuen was judged to hard penalties for having slain Lauritz Bagstevold. He was judged to pay 23 1/2 RiksDaler to Lauritz heir's and 27 RiksDaler to he king. Farm Bagstevold is ca one Mile from Lofthus. Farm Loftstuen was owned by Commandant in Eiker parish Hartvig Huitfeldt, and he sold Loftstuen to the crown, and Christopher got leasehold on the crown's "Krongods" farm Grosvold and changed name to Christopher Grosvold. Christopher also owned a part in Brende.

Approximately 1623 Christopher and a friend Arne Værp was arrested by the sheriff in Skien town in Telemark for selling silver, and after harsh interrogation they were forced to tell where they had found the silver.
Acc. to the Saga it was their children Helga Værp and Jacob Grosvold, b ca 1610, while they were looking after the livestock in the hills west of currant Kongsberg the bull had removed some moss on a rock they saw some blinking which the told their fathers. They found out it was silver, they removed it and brought with them to Skien to sell. This place bapt. "Kongens Gruve" The king's mine, by king Christian 4th a late day in April 1624, ca 342 meter above where the tourist train goes.
Already Oct. 18. 1823 the mining started.
Jacob was the first employed apprentice in Kongsberg Silver Mines and ended as vice formann in "Englischer Gruss Mine" in 1648 with a salary on ca 10 RiksDaler a month. Also Jacobs father Christopher Grosvold was employed in the Silver mines.

As neighbors your Nils and his family must have known Jacob and Christopher Grosvold well.

1647 Grosvold saw-mill was used by the Silver Mine Company, and as rent they were exempt to pay taxes.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 10/02/2017 19:42:01
Go to Top of Page

meghanf
Starting member

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 13/02/2017 :  23:36:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you again for taking the time to get me this information, I am copying this to my records for my tree. I never imagined finding so much information and so far back! Thank you!!
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 14/02/2017 :  00:01:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're welcome.
You must have relatives all over Sandsvær with relationship to so many farms.
Do you have the family-line between Sergeant Torsten Hansen Grosvold 1784-1862 and his forefather Niels Grosvold b. ca 1600? If not I can show it here.

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

meghanf
Starting member

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2017 :  06:21:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have Torsten's father as a Hans Olsen b. 1752 and mother Ingeri Thorstensdatter b. 1756,, but nothing farther back. I'd love any info you have on his line. Thank you again!
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2017 :  09:43:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hans Olsen Grosvold b 1752 died 1810. His wife was Inger Torstensdatter Grosvold 1758-1817. Hans and Inger on Grosvold Nordre with 5 children and a servant girl, Malene 1801

Hans Olsen Grosvold's parents; Ole Reyersen Grosvold 1714-1766 and Kirsti Ellingsdatter, origin unknown.
Partowners in Grosvold 1762; Hans Olsen Grosvold, Efteløt church and The king.
Children; Marie 1738, Sara 1741, Anne 1743, Reyer 1747-48, Maren 1749, your Hans 1752, Halvor 1757.
Value of the farm when Ole died 1766 were 759 RiksDaler, 2 horses, 5 cows, 1 young cow and 4 goats.

Ole Reyersen born on Grosvold and bapt. Dec.27. 1714 in Hedenstad church. First page line 8 above ANNO 1715;
Fer.3 (Wedensday)...Reyer Grosvolds Ole link

Off the record; The American Dollar and the Norwegian Daler has the same origin; The German Joaquim Daler.

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 19/02/2017 10:27:09
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2017 :  22:16:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ole Reyersen Grosvold, his parents;
Reyer Halvorsen Grosvold 1668-1739 and Mari Mikkelsdatter Mørk ca 1687-1735.
Children; Anne born 1698 on Hassel, Gunbjørg 1701, Ragnhild 1710 and your Ole 1714.
Reyers bapt, rec, from Sunday 20. after Trinitates, Sunday Oct. 4. 1668 in Hedenstad church, not ot easy to read, right page line 5&6 from bottom;
Dom. 20 Trinit; Et barn fra (a child from) Halvor Nils. "barn" child Reyer LINK
Anne above b. 1698 on Hassel was crippled, and when Ole inherited the farm the probate contains and add. reg. Anne that Ole should support her for the rest of her life and that Ole or his heirs should inherit everything after her.

Reyer Halvorsen Grosvold, his parents;
Halvor Nilsen Grosvold and Ragnhild Olsdatter b, ca 1661, d 1725. She was most likely Ole Reyersen Grosvold's ( Ole Reyersen mentioned above's G.Grandfather) daughter who paid "Koppskatt" a tax where every person on the farm included leaseholder, and the farmer had to pay a tax on each head.

The name Koppskatt comes from the German kopf, means head.
Ole Reyersen (the elder) paid tax for himself and his woman, probably the widow Ziri/Sigri who paid "Kvegskatt" an extraordinary tax on cattle in 1657 and -64. The income on the tax was used to pay the salaries to the Officers. She was also part-owner in Østre (Eastern) Grosvold with Efteløt Church and The Vogt in Lier parish who represented the king. in 1647.
In 1661 and -67 Sigri and Anund Olsen, a son b. ca 1632, mentioned as partowner in Østre Grosvold 1647 and 1657 cultivated the farm.

Your Halvor Nilsen Grosvold was son of Nils Grosvold mentioned above, mentioned as tax payer on Grosvold 1727-28

Kåre

Edited by - Kåarto on 24/02/2017 13:35:40
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2017 :  13:35:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mari Mikkelsdatter Mørk ca 1687, see above.
Of behalf his late wife Mari Mikkelsdatter Reyer Grosvold sold her part in farm Mørk 1737 to her brother Pål Mikkelsen 1689-1737, heir to Mørk.
Mari Mikkelsdatter; Her parents,
Mikkel Pålsen b ca 1645 d 1696 and Ingeborg Pedersdatter, she lived in 1728, origin unknown.
His parents; Pål Mikkelsen Mørk b. ca. 1594 d.1685. Pål paid "Koppskatt" 1645 and Anne Marie Gullliksdatter, origin unknown, b. ca 1606 d. 1689.
Pål Mikkelsen Mørk was partowner i farm Nordre (Northern) Tofstad and farm Sandar in Sande sub-parish, Vestfold County.
His parents was most likely Siri Mørk, heir to Mørk married to Mikkel Mørk.
1624-26 Siri mentioned as part-owner in following farms: Brønstad, Nedre Hvamsal and Nordre Dahl.

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

meghanf
Starting member

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2017 :  15:46:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you again Kare,

You are a wealth of information. I am adding to my tree with notes and will go back when I have more time to investigate further and really think about these connections. I am so grateful to you!
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2017 :  23:25:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're welcome

Kåre
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article