All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Help locating Olaf C. Olsen or Krog
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2017 :  21:53:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You would be able to get more information about ship Imberhorne at the Australian newspaper site the Trove or through elephind.com.
Go to Top of Page

DavidE Olsen
Starting member

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2017 :  04:06:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello, sorry haven't had a chance to look over everything yet, yes my grandfather was Einar, his brother Harold. Olaf died in June 1950 in Santa Monica, CA. I have his census info once he came to america and some other documents, on his U.S. Declaration of Intention paper Olaf wrote he immigrated to the U.S. in Dec 1901 into San Francisco on the Imberhorne out of New Castle Australia. There are several newspaper articles on Olaf in Santa Monica, he was kind of a local celebrity there, was the inspiration for the Popeye character, articles talk about him leaving Norway at 13 and even changing his name once he came to America, the Krog reference is mentioned in an article and i have a picture that my mother wrote on of Olaf's mother Grandma Krogg but don't know about the spelling. During my searches i noticed a few Krog's but not any Krogg's, did see quite a few Krogh's but couldn't find an Olaf Christian or Kristian Krog born on 16 Sep 1879. I was hoping to find a crew list for the imberhorne from 1901 to see if there was an Olaf Olsen or Krog on board but haven't had any luck with that, most records just list the Captain or owner. Thanks again for the help, Dave
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2017 :  12:45:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi David, I haven't been helping but did just read through. May I ask for some clarification on your latest post? What sources do you have for the name "Krog"? Was it a family story / family knowledge that Olaf used the name Krog, for sure?

Any documentation you have of any kind, including census, would be good to post.

Your great-grandfather is called "Oli" in this article. He sounds like a wonderful character!
http://smdp.com/popeye-born-santa-monica/145324

Edited by - JaneC on 16/02/2017 15:45:15
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2017 :  13:11:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DavidE Olsen

There are several newspaper articles on Olaf in Santa Monica, he was kind of a local celebrity there, was the inspiration for the Popeye character, articles talk about him leaving Norway at 13 and even changing his name once he came to America, the Krog reference is mentioned in an article and i have a picture that my mother wrote on of Olaf's mother Grandma Krogg but don't know about the spelling. During my searches i noticed a few Krog's but not any Krogg's, did see quite a few Krogh's but couldn't find an Olaf Christian or Kristian Krog born on 16 Sep 1879.

In the 1900 census for Norway there were 315 persons with last-name Krog, 463 with last-name Krogh and 1 person with last-name Krogg (probably a wrong-spelling) Same pronunciation for all three.

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2017 :  14:19:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
California death index:

Last name OLSEN 
first name OLAF 
middle name CHRISTIAN 
date of birth 09/10/1879 
mother's maiden name CHRISTENSEN 
father's last name OLSEN 
sex M 
birthplace REST (OTHER) 
county of death LOS ANGELES(19) 
date of death 06/05/1950 
age at death 70 yrs 

Is there a studio name on the photo indicating Norway?

Krogg related deaths in the California Death Index, are any of these familiar?

JOYNER, PEARL ELEANOR 
07/06/1906 
(mother's maiden name blank) 
father's last name KROGG 

OHIO 
LOS ANGELES(19) 
09/22/1956 
374-12-0280 
50 yrs 

KROGG 
WILLIAM 
CARL 
10/14/1875 
Mother's maiden name blank
KROGG 

OHIO 
LOS ANGELES(19) 
03/21/1947 
71 yrs

KROGG GEORGE R 
05/05/1908 
No parent's surnames

OHIO 
ALAMEDA(01) 
05/09/1974 
294-09-9773 
66 yrs 

KROGG JEANNETT 
11/25/1912
no parents' names 
CHIHOKSE 

OHIO 
LOS ANGELES(70) 
06/16/1964 
282-14-6535 
51 yrs 

KROGG JULIA 
09/28/1885 
mother's maiden name ZUMBECK 
father's name CHIHESKA 

OHIO 
LOS ANGELES(19) 
03/02/1959 
273-09-4717 
73 yrs 

KROGG ROBERT 
11/09/1883 
no parent's names 

OHIO 
LOS ANGELES(19) 
03/11/1953 
69 yrs 

KROGG VIOLA ANNE 
01/20/1908 
mother's maiden name KOSTEA 
father's name FINGULIN 

OHIO 
ALAMEDA(01) 
07/28/1983 
569-72-5134 
75 yrs 

Edited by - jkmarler on 16/02/2017 14:43:00
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2017 :  20:24:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A clerical family in Norway used the name Krogh.
Area where they worked was in Nordland and Finnmark.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 16/02/2017 20:28:47
Go to Top of Page

DavidE Olsen
Starting member

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2017 :  21:55:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by JaneC

Hi David, I haven't been helping but did just read through. May I ask for some clarification on your latest post? What sources do you have for the name "Krog"? Was it a family story / family knowledge that Olaf used the name Krog, for sure?

Any documentation you have of any kind, including census, would be good to post.

Your great-grandfather is called "Oli" in this article. He sounds like a wonderful character!
http://smdp.com/popeye-born-santa-monica/145324

[/quote What sources do you have for the name "Krog"? Was it a family story / family knowledge that Olaf used the name Krog, for sure?

Hello Jane, i have an article from a guy writing a book, he grew up in Santa Monica and was looking for my Grandpa Einar but asking for info on Olaf. Article talks about Olaf changing his name from Krog, don't know how he knew about Krog though, i need to dig up the article and post it if i can figure out how. The other reference to Krog i have is a xerox copy of a picture from my mother, it simply says in her writing, Olaf's mother grandma krogg, maiden name Olsen. i don't have her first name though. Guessing there has to be some truth to the Krog reference but can't find anything in Norway on it. It would be nice if i at least had some first names to research. A few of the other documents posted already show his mother as Olivia Fawcett but i don't know where Fawcett came from, might be an error, his wife's name was Olivia Berg(maiden) but she was married before and her last married name was Junell. Death certificate for Olaf says mothers maiden name was Christensen which to me makes more sense than Krog but don't know. Can someone tell me how to insert an image? thanks Dave
Go to Top of Page

DavidE Olsen
Starting member

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2017 :  22:04:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by jkmarler

California death index:

Last name OLSEN 
first name OLAF 
middle name CHRISTIAN 
date of birth 09/10/1879 
mother's maiden name CHRISTENSEN 
father's last name OLSEN 
sex M 
birthplace REST (OTHER) 
county of death LOS ANGELES(19) 
date of death 06/05/1950 
age at death 70 yrs 

Is there a studio name on the photo indicating Norway?

JOYNER, PEARL ELEANOR 
07/06/1906 
(mother's maiden name blank) 
father's last name KROGG 

OHIO 
LOS ANGELES(19) 
09/22/1956 
374-12-0280 
50 yrs 

KROGG 
WILLIAM 
CARL 
10/14/1875 
Mother's maiden name blank
KROGG 

OHIO 
LOS ANGELES(19) 
03/21/1947 
71 yrs

KROGG GEORGE R 
05/05/1908 
No parent's surnames

OHIO 
ALAMEDA(01) 
05/09/1974 
294-09-9773 
66 yrs 

KROGG JEANNETT 
11/25/1912
no parents' names 
CHIHOKSE 

OHIO 
LOS ANGELES(70) 
06/16/1964 
282-14-6535 
51 yrs 

KROGG JULIA 
09/28/1885 
mother's maiden name ZUMBECK 
father's name CHIHESKA 

OHIO 
LOS ANGELES(19) 
03/02/1959 
273-09-4717 
73 yrs 

KROGG ROBERT 
11/09/1883 
no parent's names 

OHIO 
LOS ANGELES(19) 
03/11/1953 
69 yrs 

KROGG VIOLA ANNE 
01/20/1908 
mother's maiden name KOSTEA 
father's name FINGULIN 

OHIO 
ALAMEDA(01) 
07/28/1983 
569-72-5134 
75 yrs 

[/quote-Is there a studio name on the photo indicating Norway?

No studio on photo, it's just a xerox copy of a photo with my mother's handwriting saying Grandma Krogg, Olaf's mother, maiden name Olsen.

None of the Krogg's are familiar but i'm not aware of any of my family named Krogg living in the U.S. Told Olaf changed his name to Olsen when he came to US in 1901 but not 100% sure. If there is a Krog, Krogg, or Krogh in my family guessing it would be in Norway. thanks, dave
Go to Top of Page

DavidE Olsen
Starting member

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2017 :  22:25:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kåarto

[quote]Originally posted by DavidE Olsen

It seems like the baptism record Kare sent might be it, at least checking out, has the right birthday, but have a few questions, where does it say 2 Nov baptism? Also i noticed under the parents it has 1874, is that when they were married?]

I looked into the wedding record for the parents from June 19.1874, see #7.
No Krog name there, nor when she died in Siljan parish July 25.1896 (Karen Kristine born Hansen)

The family name Krog goes fare back.
Some sources, not proven to my knowledge, say back to 1067, to Ketil Krog (a real person in the Saga). Ketil was son of an English Nobleman and came to Norway 1067 ca 10-15 years old with a brother Skule b. 1052.

Kåre

Hello Kare, the Krog part adds a mystery for sure, be nice to find something official to rule it in or out. Maybe Olaf's mom either remarried a Krog and her previous married name or maiden was Olsen when she had Olaf, if she had Olaf out of wedlock then later married Krog maybe Olaf used Krog for awhile, you would think Olaf would use his father's name not his mother's maiden name if there was a father in the picture? just throwing out ideas here, nothing to back up my theories, thanks, dave
Go to Top of Page

DavidE Olsen
Starting member

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2017 :  22:40:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kåarto

A candidate ??

Kåre

yes this is Olaf on ancestory.com, i'm building a family tree, my cousin Nyla Olsen, who is the grand daughter of Harold my great uncle and Olaf's son, found Oluf Olsen born 16 Sep 1878 by Oluf Olsen and Oline Christine Christensen and thought maybe that was Olaf's parents, birth was in Vestfold which is down near Oslo so i didn't think that was correct based on the birth being one year early and location not being Helgeland region. Dave
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2017 :  22:41:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So you don't believe that the Olaf Christian Olsen who died in1950 in Los Angeles is yours?

The one logical way that Krog could be in play is as name of a farm of which there are farms of that name in Rødenes and Tønsberg.
Go to Top of Page

DavidE Olsen
Starting member

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2017 :  22:50:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by jkmarler

Was your grandfather/ granduncle either Harold or Einar? Here is the father of those two in 1910 census. Transcription says he migrated in 1895:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MV2K-FT1

There are several Olaf Olson dying in California with approximate birthdates near your stated. For instance here is one whose mother's maiden name is something other than Krog:

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VP46-5FS

Hello, the first 1910 census is correct, my grandfather was Einar, great uncle was Harold. Olaf married Olivia and she had two older daughters.

Second search is not correct, my great grandfather Olaf C. Olsen died in June 1950 in Santa Monica CA.

His death cert says his mother's maiden name was Christensen, Father's Olsen. Krog part is mystery, like i said in previous posts maybe Krog came after Olaf's birth, mom re-married etc. Dave
Go to Top of Page

DavidE Olsen
Starting member

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2017 :  22:58:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eibache

quote:
It looks to me as if Olaf Kristian Olsen born in 1879 left Vega for America in 1899. See number 6 left page

Correct link.

hello Einar, so would this mean this Olaf Olsen sailed to a place like New York directly from Norway in 1899? If so then it probably wouldn't be the correct one, we could verify by looking at New York immigration records? thanks, Dave
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2017 :  22:59:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You have Olaf's actual death certificate?
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2017 :  23:36:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
David the information posted by Jackie above for the death of Olaf Olsen may very well be the correct one. There is no separate section for Santa Monica in the California, Death Index, 1940-1997. Probably because Santa Monica is in Los Angles County. Here is the Ancestry.com version of what Jackie has posted. The birth date is off but that is not unexpected especially in death notices.

Olaf Christian Olsen
in the California, Death Index, 1940-1997
Name: Olaf Christian Olsen
Birth Date: 10 Sep 1879
Birth Place: Other Country
Death Date: 5 Jun 1950
Death Place: Los Angeles
Mother's Maiden Name: Christensen
Father's Surname: Olsen

The mothers maiden name would likely be Christiansdatter or Kristiansdatter in Norway. That fits with the child found by Einar but not the child found by Kåre whose mother had the maiden name of Hansdatter.

Tough to chose one of several candidates with only partial fits.

Edited by - AntonH on 16/02/2017 23:59:10
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article