All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Where is this town?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2017 :  19:50:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This Conrad N Lund WWI draft registration card gives birthdate 23 June 1887 and place as Buksnes, Norway:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:K87B-CLK
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9141 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2017 :  22:40:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Taking your family tree back further in time past Christen Johansen born about 1846 to Johan Christensen and Malene Johansdatter is complicated by the fact that the church records for Buksnes seem to be missing from about 1793 to 1818 or even more years. However it does appear that Johan and Malene had a son in 1833 who was not living with them for the 1865 census. He is Fredrik Christian Johansen Hag. I did not find his baptism record but here is his Confirmation Record.

And another son named Aron Petter Dass Johansen · 24 . februar 1841

Edited by - AntonH on 17/03/2017 02:05:22
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lund
Starting member

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2017 :  23:30:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is excellent. I will make a note of these both.
Many thanks. It is good to have assistance.
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9141 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2017 :  01:17:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks,, I would like to take your family tree back a little further however there is a lack of good documentation for the parents of Johan Christansen born abt 1806 and living on Hag Nedre in the 1865 Census. Much of that is due to the lack of parish records in Digitalarkivet from Busknes from about 1793 to at least 1816 and in some cases even further.

There are several family trees especially on Ancestry.com that give the parents of Johan Christiansen as Christian Hansen Sparboe and Malena Olsdatter Løkke. This family can be found in the 1801 Census.

However the census only shows the children up to the twins Olina and Karen born abt 1792. Just about the place where the Parish Records cease to be available. At least I have not found records for this family past the baptism records for the twins.

Left Page

Other Family Trees for this family stop with the children listed in the 1801 Census. Such as this one.

Erik Berntsens slektssider

The Bygdebok for Buskens Hol is online and may shed some light on the issue.

Here is a link to the Bygdebok.

HAG NEDRE

In the section on Hag Nedre of most interest to this topic, there are two people mentioned as being owners of Hag Nedre. Christen Hansen Sparboe and Christen Colding, who is likely Christian Hansen Colling. Both of them could be a father to someone named Johan Christensen.

The book does mention that there is a son Johan Christian Colding who took over the part of Hag Nedre owned by his father Christian Colding in 1838. The bygdebok goes on to state that Johan Christian Colding was on this farm in the 1865 Census and gone by the 1875 Census when he turned over the farm to his sons Christen og Edvard Lund Johansen.

To access the section I have quoted from you need to click on the link, then click on "se bygdebok" then "GÅRDSREGISTER for HOL", then click on "HAG NEDRE" and scroll down about three paragraphs and start reading.

In the 1801 Census for Hag Nedre he is given the name Christen Svendsen Colling and his wife is Daareth Andersdatter.

Colling 1801

The DIS discussion comes to the conclusion that the name Svendsen in the 1801 census is a mistake.

"Har samme konklusjon som deg, Anne! Christen Svendsen Colding er feil!"

He died in 1833 See third entry, under the name Christian Colling Hanse on Hag

There is a long discussion on Christen Hansen Colling and wife on DIS Slektsforum.

DIS Slektsforum

To end for the night, I would lean toward assigning the father of Johan Christiansen of Hog Nedre to be Christian Hansen Colling.

Edited by - AntonH on 17/03/2017 02:49:16
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lund
Starting member

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2017 :  01:35:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will look at this and add the new data. I started a tree on Ancestry and found some additional leads but the nuances in spelling names and places requires cross checking.
This is very helpful.
Thank you
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9141 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2017 :  17:47:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since you have started a Family Tree I looked a little further into your ancestors. Very interesting and I will try and give you some further information for your tree.

As stated in various trees Christian Hansen Colling or Colding was the son of Hans Gregersen and Maren Johansdatter. Hans and Maren were married in 1748.

Hans Gregersen
in the Norway, Select Marriages, 1660-1926
Name: Hans Gregersen
Marriage Date: 25 okt 1748 (25 Oct 1748)
Marriage Place: Flakstad, Nordland, Norway
Spouse: Maren Johansdr
FHL Film Number: 125081
Reference ID: 2:QMK8RV

Original record here right hand page just above the D 16th Oct writing for their engagement, the marriage is on the next page.

Hans and Maren

A very well documented Family Tree for Hans Gregersen can be found here.

http://www.trekilen.com/slekt/toril4k/sidae/h___fv4e.htm

Edited by - AntonH on 19/03/2017 22:57:34
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lund
Starting member

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2017 :  22:48:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent. Thank you for your research. I pull this in when I am on my computer.
I am greatful for the help.
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9141 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2017 :  22:58:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a overview of what I think your Family Tree looks like. I will add to it and correct it as I find more information

Conrad Nikolai Johansen b 23 June 1887 b Konrad Kristensen
Found Birth

Kristen Lund Johansen b abt 1846 wife Nikoline Nilsdatter b abt 1846
Can not find birth but did find marriage
Found in 1865 and 1875 Census

Johan Christensen b abt 1806 prob Johan Christen Colding wife Malene Johannesdtr.
Can not find birth, or marriage
Found in 1865 Census
Found in Bygdebok

Christen Hansen Colding b abt 1750 wife Daareth Andersdatter b abt 1775
Found in 1801 Census under wrong name
Found death record in 1833

Hans Gregersen Colling, Narejde Flakstad b 7 Sept 1721
Maren Johansdatter gift 25 okt 1748 i Flakstad
Found Marriage

Gregors Sørensen b abt 1682 Napp, Flakstad
Maren Johansdatter

Søren Rasmussen b abt 1639
Ingeborg Olsdatter

Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9141 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2017 :  23:09:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
An interesting sideline to your ancestors. In the Bygdebok and various Ancestry.com trees one can find two people on the Hag Nedre farm in the 1801 Norwegian Census. I reproduce the link again here.

Some confusion exists on the trees as to who is your ancestor. Well it turns out that it is likely that Christian Hansen Colling (your ancestor and wrongly called Christian Svendsen Colling in 1801 Census) and Christian Hansen Sparboe the other owner are related by marriage. Not too unusual in a small country like Norway.

All the family descend from Søren Rasmussen who had at least these two children.

Gregors who you descend from and formed the Colling (Colding) family and his brother Christian who forms the Sparbøe family

This is what I get from this Geni.com tree.

Geni Tree

Which when drawn out looks like this

Soren Rasmussen b 1639 wife ingeborg Olsdatter had a least two children

Christen Sorensen b abt 1679 who married Mille Erichsdatter Sparbøe

Son Hans Christian Sparbøe b abt 1715 m Edel Thomasdatter Ringkjøb

In 1801 Census Son Christian Hansen Sparbøe b 1751 m Malena Olsdatter

Gregors Sorensen b abt 1682 who married Maren Johansdatter

Son Hans Gregorsen Colding b abt 1750 m also a Maren Johansdatter

In 1801 Census Son Christen Hansen (Svendsen) Colling b abt 1750 m Daareth Andersdatter

Edited by - AntonH on 19/03/2017 23:51:08
Go to Top of Page

LinaSjolie
New on board

Norway
4 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2017 :  20:05:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kristen Lund Johansen and Nikoline Nilsdatter are my great-great-grandparents, their daughter Åse Katinka was the mother of my maternal grandfather.
I have a lot of information on Nikoline's ancestry, she came from Vefsn in the Helgeland region of Nordland.
As to Kristen's ancestry, it is still muddy, even seasoned genealogists here in Norway are scratching their heads. It's in part due to the missing parish records, as mentioned. On top of this, the bygdebok for Hol is full of errors and you should not trust any information unless it is confirmed by primary sources.

Was Konrad's wife called Birgitte (from Gudbrandsdal)?
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lund
Starting member

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2017 :  17:17:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LinaSjolie

Kristen Lund Johansen and Nikoline Nilsdatter are my great-great-grandparents, their daughter Åse Katinka was the mother of my maternal grandfather.
I have a lot of information on Nikoline's ancestry, she came from Vefsn in the Helgeland region of Nordland.
As to Kristen's ancestry, it is still muddy, even seasoned genealogists here in Norway are scratching their heads. It's in part due to the missing parish records, as mentioned. On top of this, the bygdebok for Hol is full of errors and you should not trust any information unless it is confirmed by primary sources.

Was Konrad's wife called Birgitte (from Gudbrandsdal)?

We are distant relatives.

Konrad's wife was Aletta Marie Paulsen who was from Vikna, Nord Trøndelag.
They were married in Duluth Minnesota in 1910 and are my paternal grandparents.

I started on this road using the website Ancestry dot com. Between the help with computer searches and help from members on this forum, I found quite a lot of links going back another 4 or 5 generations to around 1678 on Christian's side. (I think)

I have not spent much time searching out Nikoline yet although I suspect your research is more accurate than the computer searches are alone.

The problem comes when similar names return people using the same name from other places or generations.

That said new links have turned up other similar research work by other relatives much like what you have done. That was the only way I was able to see as far back as I currently have gone.

I am led to believe going back much further is hard due to the lack of good written records.
Go to Top of Page

LinaSjolie
New on board

Norway
4 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2017 :  17:32:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
The problem comes when similar names return people using the same name from other places or generations.

Yes, farm names and knowledge of local geography are key to Norwegian genealogy. I often use this map service, it is often detailed enough to see/ search for farm names: https://kart.finn.no, google maps does not give enough information.

quote:
We are distant relatives.

I believe you and mother to be second cousins.

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lund
Starting member

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2017 :  18:10:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, you are right about cousins.

That link did not work for me. But in any case my knowledge of Norway is limited. I have not traveled to the north.

I must give a lot of credit to Lyndal40 on here. He takes the lineage back quite far from available records. I am still scratching my head about some of it.

Edited by - Richard Lund on 09/07/2017 18:10:56
Go to Top of Page

LinaSjolie
New on board

Norway
4 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2017 :  18:29:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The link is https://kart.finn.no
(The comma messed up the last link, sorry about that).
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lund
Starting member

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2017 :  19:16:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That worked. Thank you. I bookmarked the site.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article