All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Petter Evans/Evensen/Evenson 1868
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

Linda Robinson
Starting member

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2017 :  17:47:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm searching for information on my great grandfather. The only information we have on him is information obtained from the US Federal Census. Born Jan 1868. Immigrated about 1885.

I've checked all passenger lists. I have a subscription to Ancestry and there are no clues as to his existence in Norway. I've also checked with Familysearch.org and have come to a dead end.

The stories have been told that he may have been adopted. Also, he was either in the norwegian navy but I've not been able to verify that information. The other stories have been that he worked on various ships from the time he was 14 and after a trip to the United States on one of these ships, he decided to stay here.

He worked in Baltimore City, Maryland at the docks and was considered a sailor. The US Federal Census for 1890 cannot be found so I cannot verify where he was at that time. I only information from the census beginning 1900. I have information on his life here but I need his life prior to leaving Norway.

If there is anyone out there that can help me find out more on my great grandfather, I would really appreciate it. I can be reached at dragnldy1300@gmail.com.

It's been a long difficult road and I'd like to learn as much as I can. Thank you

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2017 :  18:44:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 1900-census says he's been naturalized. Have you found his Naturalization papers?

I think it is this one: # 20
Peter
Born: 20 Jan 1869
illegitimate birth
Mother: girl Caroline Andersen, Skallevold, Sem, Vestfold
Father: Bachelor, sailor Even Edward Petersen, Tønsberg, Vestfold

(Later official papers from the parish shows that the father's real name was Svend Edvard Petersen (23 y.o.) from Marker parish)

Edited by - jwiborg on 17/03/2017 19:06:39
Go to Top of Page

Linda Robinson
Starting member

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2017 :  18:59:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That was a mistake. One census says he immigrated 1896 but he married in Baltimore City Maryland in 1894. I checked the Maryland Archives and I've found nothing on his naturalization. I found his marriage to Maggie Meis and his death information in 1933. But no record of his naturalization.
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2017 :  19:08:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Peter has been discussed in this norwegian topic, where someone was researching his mother Caroline.

You can try to run the page through Google translate.

Edited by - jwiborg on 17/03/2017 19:20:22
Go to Top of Page

Linda Robinson
Starting member

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2017 :  20:11:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I reseached that information. My g-grandfather came right to Baltimore City, Maryland. The Petter Evensen mentioned docked in New York and was bound for Minnesota. He was in Wisconsin in 1910 and back in Minnesota in 1920. My g-grandfather has always been in Baltimore City. He worked as a sailor on the Baltimore City docks on a government ship.

The only thing they have in common is their month and year of birth. I am planning to go to the Maryland Archives hoping to find more information than what I found online.
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9141 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2017 :  20:22:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is this him?

Peter Evans
in the 1900 United States Federal Census
Name: Peter Evans
Birth Date: Jan 1868
Birthplace: Norway
Home in 1900: Baltimore Ward 5, Baltimore City (Independent City), Maryland
Race: White
Immigration Year: 1896
[1898]
Relation to Head of House: Head
Marital Status: Married
Spouse's Name: Margaret Evans
Marriage Year: 1894
Years Married: 6
Father's Birthplace: Norway
Mother's Birthplace: Norway
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
Peter Evans 32
Margaret Evans 23
John Evans 4
Christian Meis 31
Go to Top of Page

Linda Robinson
Starting member

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2017 :  20:24:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes.
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2017 :  21:02:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can't find any info in the norwegian forum that links the guy in topic to Wisconsin or Minnesota?
The Petter Evensen that went to Philadelphia in 1887 was born 22 Jan 1868. According to Peter Evans death record, he was born 22 Jan 1869.
Go to Top of Page

Linda Robinson
Starting member

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2017 :  21:22:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got that information from the Federal census records. Apparently there were several names Petter Evensen born in Norway, two of which were born in January from what I can find in the year 1868. The Peter Evans that you posted is, indeed, my g-grandfather but no link to Karoline Anderstdr or Even Pettersen. The Petter Evensen from Wisconsin and Minnesota kept the spelling of his name. My g-grandfather changed his.

We were told he was adopted so I'm looking into that angle. My g-grandmother told my cousin that he was adopted and that he served on several ships but never mentioned military so we're exploring that as well. Apparently the name Petter Evensen is very common over there.

But my g-grandfather came directly to Baltimore City. He never left Baltimore.

I have all of the information from 1900 on until my g-grandmother's death in 1977.

I've contacted relatives of my grandfather but they don't know much either. I'm still on the prowl
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2017 :  21:43:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you know when your great grandfather died, and have you found his death certificate?
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2017 :  21:45:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Likely there are numerous Pe* Ev* born late 1860s in Norway. The 1875 census has not been completely transcribed but here are three b 1868 in the parts of that census that have been transcribed:

Petter Christian Thueseng Evensen 1868 Drammen s ug Fredriksstad: Brogade 168 m Folketelling 1875 for 0103B Fredrikstad prestegjeld, Fredrikstad kjøpstad

Petter born Drammen died in US:
https://digitalarkivet.arkivverket.no/en-gb/gen/vis/267/pg00000000475399

Peter Evensen 1868 Ørkedalen Fosterbarn Orkdal: Hofsøren m Folketelling 1875 for 1638P Orkdal prestegjeld

Probably Peter born Orkedal living in Norway and married in 1900:
https://digitalarkivet.arkivverket.no/en-gb/ft/person/pf01037446000969

Carl Peter Evensen 1868 Kristiania s Kristiania: Stolmagergade 6 m Folketelling 1875 for 0301 Kristiania kjøpstad

Edited by - jkmarler on 17/03/2017 22:18:13
Go to Top of Page

Linda Robinson
Starting member

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2017 :  21:53:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My g-grandfather died about 1933-1935 in Baltimore County, Maryland. I have all of that information. I just need to get the proof from the Maryland Archives. The other Peter Evensens listed were looked into as well. Even if I had a town he was born in it would help some. I looked at the 1875 census for Norway. I saw the same thing.

I'm hoping they can transcribe some more information.

I was hoping to find adoption information in Norway. But I've hit a dead end there as well..
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2017 :  22:21:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well it would be fun to help you. In most hard cases, the solution is more often in the actual records in US than by a lucky strike in Norway. You may have it all, but the responders here don't have it all on your guy. .
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9141 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2017 :  22:37:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not finding any likely candidates arriving into Baltimore about 1885 to 1887.I do find this person arriving into Massachusetts. He lists himself as a sailor. Why do you think he arrived into Baltimore.

Peter Evenson
in the Massachusetts, Passenger and Crew Lists, 1820-1963
Name: Peter Evenson
Nationality: Norwegian
Birth Date: abt 1868
Departure Place: Queenstown Ireland and Liverpool England, Ireland and Liverpool England
Arrival Date: 19 Mar 1887
Arrival Place: Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Ship: Cephalonia
Go to Top of Page

Linda Robinson
Starting member

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2017 :  22:59:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My g-grandmother told my cousin that my g-grandfather arrived on a merchant ship. Not a regular passenger ship. He arrived in 1885. According to my g-grandmother, he never left Baltimore.
Go to Top of Page

Linda Robinson
Starting member

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2017 :  23:06:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 1900 US Census has his immigration year wrong. In 1900 they listed his immigration as 1896 and in 1910 they list it as 1885. He married my g-grandmother in 1894 in Baltimore City by FA. Conradi, the minister who baptized my grandfather, Christian. She also said that he came here when he was 17. So the immigration year was 1885.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article