All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Petter Evans/Evensen/Evenson 1868
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9200 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2017 :  23:30:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well the 1900 US Census shows his birth as Jan 1868. Ancestry.com has a data base for Baptism in Norway. It is however not complete for every part of Norway. With that in mind there are only two people who are named some version of Peter with father named Even.

Name: Petter Evensen
Birth Date: 22 jan 1868
Baptism Date: 16 feb 1868
Baptism Place: , Slagen, Vestfold, Norway
Father: Even Edvard Pettersen
Mother: Karoline Andersdr

This one is the same one as posted on page one by Jan Peter. Jan Peter lists 1869 as the birth year but that does not seem correct.

Confirmation

Name: Peter Gustav Evensen
Birth Date: 14 jan 1868
Baptism Date: 5 jul 1868
Baptism Place: Eiker, Buskerud, Norway
Father: Even Olsen
Mother: Mari Olsdr

I think we can rule Peter Gustav out as he was married in 1891 in Norway.

Edited by - AntonH on 17/03/2017 23:58:54
Go to Top of Page

Linda Robinson
Starting member

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 17/03/2017 :  23:34:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw that. I'm hoping to see if anyone might have known any of his family members who exist today or possible relatives. I don't know if he had a brother or sister. I'm trying to find possible adoption records.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2017 :  01:24:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jan 1868 / 1896
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M3KH-QWF

1861 / 1885
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M2XT-Q8N

1870 / 1885
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M636-HZS

1869 / 1885
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X3WQ-95B

Which record do you have that actually shows an exact birthdate for your ancestor?
Go to Top of Page

Linda Robinson
Starting member

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2017 :  01:33:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the 1910 census was recorded wrong. on ancestry it has 1861 and 1868. If you look at his age on all the other census records it definitely records the correct age which puts his dob in 1868. I have a tree on familysearch.org. Not all census records are going to be correct. When the recorders received the information from the census takers it was transferred to the sheets we now see. If the census taker wrote an age as 39 but the 9 was not completed it could show up as a 1. I do indexing for familysearch.org and sometimes it's a problem with handwriting of another person. But his date of birth was 1868. He could not have immigrated in 1896 because he married my g-grandmother in 1894 in Baltimore City.
Go to Top of Page

Linda Robinson
Starting member

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2017 :  01:38:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you look at the 1910 census, it shows Peter and Maggie were married for six years. That puts their marriage in 1894. I was able to verify the marriage date as aug 27, 1894. I have a copy of the registration card form the Maryland archives so 1896 is a wrong date.
Go to Top of Page

Linda Robinson
Starting member

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2017 :  02:01:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All I'm trying to do is find his parents or adoption records or anything prior to him coming to the US. I have everything since 1900 until his death. I'm hoping I can find someone who might have known his adopted family, if he was adopted, and maybe other family members when he was over there. If he was adopted, there could be other siblings he didn't know about. There could be other family members of his supposed adopted family. Anything of that nature is what I'm looking for.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2017 :  02:02:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What record do you have with a full exact birthdate for Peter?
Go to Top of Page

Linda Robinson
Starting member

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2017 :  02:19:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I only have the census records with two of them showing he was born in january. all of them recorded his age which coincide with 1868. His marriage registration that i have shows that he was 26 at the time of his marriage in 1894 which puts his date of birth in 1868. I just don't have an actual day. But we've been able to verify the year and the month. His birthday was not on my grandfather's birth certificate. We checked. But it's been narrowed down to January 1868
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9200 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2017 :  03:29:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are thrashing about a bit here without having some more concrete data on your search. However here is a Peter Evensen born in June 1868 and who in 1875 Census was a foster child.

Name: Peter Evensen
Birth Date: 29 jun 1868
Baptism Date: 2 aug 1868
Baptism Place: Orkdal, Sor Trondelag, Norway
Father: Even Thronsen
Mother: Ingeborg Petersdr
FHL Film Number: 307006
Reference ID: 2:1PRGS3J

1875 Census

Edited by - AntonH on 18/03/2017 03:29:59
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2017 :  03:59:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is probably the Peter in the 1900 Norway census already linked to on page 1.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2017 :  04:11:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do you have the birth / death certificates for each of Peter's children?

There is at least one of his children who is dead by 1910. In most modern death certificates (post 1910) there are questions about the names of parents and their birth place.
Go to Top of Page

Linda Robinson
Starting member

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2017 :  12:00:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have my grandfather's death certificate but there is not date of birth for either of his parents or where they were from. I've contacted the granddaughter of one of my grandfather's brother, Edward. She is looking into finding his death certificate. None of Peter's children died prior to 1910. John passed in April of 1963, my grandfather, Christian in May of 1960, Josephine in September 1973, Edward Dec 1977. The only information we have on George is he died after 1940 and Margaret sometime after 1970. I'm waiting to hear back from Edward's granddaughter. She's been searching for the last few months and has not been able to find anything either.

Josephine lived in the same house as my g-grandmother until her death in 1977. When the subject of family came up she avoided any answers. Edward's granddaughter, Ann, didn't know that her grandfather had more than one sibling, my grandfather, Christian. She was surprised that there were more siblings. For the longest time I didn't know. It wasn't until I was about 11 that I was introduced to my other cousin, Loretta. So I thought that Josephine was my grandfather's only sister.

This is why it's been so difficult to find information. But we are locating family members at a slow pace. Ann is trying to find the birth certificate for her grandfather but Loretta's papers were lost when her brother lost the house in Parkville. She didn't know he lost it until it was too late. I'm sure there would have been a ton of records in that house since my g-grandmother and g-grandfather lived there.
Go to Top of Page

Linda Robinson
Starting member

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2017 :  15:25:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I said death certificate for my grandfather, i meant birth certificate. No age, dob or parents birthplace is listed on the birth certificate.
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9200 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2017 :  23:01:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I reseached that information. My g-grandfather came right to Baltimore City, Maryland. The Petter Evensen mentioned docked in New York and was bound for Minnesota. He was in Wisconsin in 1910 and back in Minnesota in 1920. My g-grandfather has always been in Baltimore City. He worked as a sailor on the Baltimore City docks on a government ship.

Linda, I am not sure that the person referred to in that discussion on DIS is the same person you refer to as being in Minnesota and Wisconsin. I suspect that the person you are referring to is this one.

A Peter Evenson married a Helgine Wold in Stanley, Chippewa, Wisconsin and several children later moved to Minnesota. By 1920 he and family were living in Carlton County, Minnesota where he died in 1942.

Hee is his death record from Minnesota.

Peter Anton Evenson
in the Minnesota, Death Index, 1908-2002
Name: Peter Anton Evenson
Death Date: 19 Mar 1942
Death County: Carlton
State File Number: 001706
Certificate Number: 001706
Certificate Year: 1942
Record Number: 889799

Information as to his father is given in this record.

Peter Anton Evenson
in the U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
Name: Peter Anton Evenson
SSN: 473226506
Birth Date: 17 Nov 1867
Birth Place: Norway
Death Date: 19 Mar 1942
Father: Even Mikelson
Mother:
Claim Date: 6 Jan 1943
Type of Claim: Death Claim
Notes: 16 Dec 1977: Name listed as PETER ANTON EVENSON

I think that this Peter Anton Evenson is likely thiis person born in Norway He is actually the second son with this name born to the same parents. First son was born Nov 30, 1865 but died in 1867.

Peder Anton Evensen
in the Norway, Select Baptisms, 1634-1927
Name: Peder Anton Evensen
Birth Date: 11 nov 1867
Baptism Date: 29 des 1867 (29 Dec 1867)
Baptism Place: , Hedrum, Vestfold, Norway
Father: Even Mikkelsen
Mother: Else Marie Jakobsdr
FHL Film Number: 278229

Thus this person is not the same person as the one discussed in the long DIS discussion. surfaced by Jan Peter. I think that he is this person posted above and still worth some thought.

Name: Petter Evensen
Birth Date: 22 jan 1868
Baptism Date: 16 feb 1868
Baptism Place: , Slagen, Vestfold, Norway
Father: Even Edvard Pettersen
Mother: Karoline Andersdr

Edited by - AntonH on 18/03/2017 23:43:23
Go to Top of Page

Linda Robinson
Starting member

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2017 :  01:12:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No. My g-grandfather, Peter Evans, married (Maggie) Margaret Meis in 1894 in Baltimore Maryland. Maggie immigrated to the United States in 1843. They met in Baltimore City in 1892 and married in 1894. This I know to be fact. I have his marriage registration card from the Maryland Archives. Reverend F.A. Conradi performed the ceremony in Baltimore City. I also have the christening certificate for my grandfather from 1901 showing Peter Evans and Maggie Evans as parents. So, the information about the Peter Evans in Minnesota or Wisconsin was not my g-grandfather. That's what I tried to explain to the other person.

The Petter Evensen you listed is the one from Minnesota. My g-grandfather changed his name after he arrived in 1885 in the United States. The story my g-grandmother told was that my g-grandfather was a seaman and worked on various merchant ships. He left Norway around the age of 14 to sail on the merchant ships. After a run to the United States, he decided to stay.

This is why it has been so difficult tracking his background. It was also told that he may have been adopted but that has not be verified. My ex-husband was researching and somehow came up with that information. He wouldn't tell me how he came about it. But my cousin, Loretta, someone I keep in touch with often, also g-granddaughter to Peter and Maggie, heard the same thing.

My grandfather's birth certificate only has his parents' name on it, Peter Evans and Margaret Evans. There is no place of origin for them nor a date of birth. I've located another cousin and she is trying to get information. Actually, she didn't even know that there were 6 children. She thought it was only Christian, my grandfather, and her grandfather, Edward.

After 1930, the Evans' family moved to Parkville Maryland where several still reside. It's a matter of finding them to try and get additional information.

I know the census says that my g-grandfather was naturalized but according to Maggie, he wasn't. I have found several mistakes on the census records with Peter such as his immigration year. Two of them have 1885, one has 1896. I know it wasn't 1896 because he married Maggie in 1894, all verifiable. They had his age wrong on one of them. Had his year of birth as 1861. But if you look close to the writing you can see how they mistook his age as 31 and not 39.

I know it's a difficult task transcribing the information. I do indexing for the familysearch.org website on a regular basis. Some of the writing is difficult to understand or illegible. So I know mistakes can be made. That's why I try to verify the information the best I can.

I just need to find any kind of information prior to Peter coming to the United States. I'd like to see if I can get into adoption records from back then. Just to see if he was adopted. There has to be some kind of record. If he was adopted, he may have siblings we don't know about. Or he could have been adopted because his biological parents passed when he was a baby and it was necessary. And if he was adopted, who were his adoptive parents. Did they have any other children. These are some of the questions I've been trying to find out. I was hoping that through this Norwegian heritage site someone may know of his life in Norway through a possible relative. Or anyone that would have access or information how to obtain adoption records. Maybe he was in foster care and was never adopted.

When I spoke to the Maryland Archive office they told me that when people got married back then they had to present some sort of proof or documentation as to who they are. It is possible he presented his birth certificate at the time. It's a long shot. I need to go to that office. If they don't have it, then the National Archive office in Washington DC may have it but it's not guaranteed.

I'm putting my feelers out to every possible source. I can't verify his place of birth except "Norway", parish, nothing. I've been through long lists of church listings in Norway from many towns. I spent months looking. I even searched the Norwegian Navy thinking that maybe he enlisted and came here when one of their ships docked. He was only 17 when he got here so I'm thinking it was a merchant ship he was on.

If you come across any other information pertaining to adoption records that would be greatly appreciated. I don't know how to go about accessing that information. I'm planning a trip to Maryland in the next month but I don't think it will serve any purpose. I've searched the online records. All dead ends.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article