All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Petter Evans/Evensen/Evenson 1868
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2017 :  01:28:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
The Petter Evensen you listed is the one from Minnesota. My g-grandfather changed his name after he arrived in 1885 in the United States. The story my g-grandmother told was that my g-grandfather was a seaman and worked on various merchant ships. He left Norway around the age of 14 to sail on the merchant ships. After a run to the United States, he decided to stay.

I realize that the Minnesota/Wisconsin Peter Anton Evenson is not your ancestor. The point I was making is that the Peter Evensen from the DIS Discussion is not the same one as the one in Minnesota/Wsicosin and could actually be your Ancestor.

Edited by - AntonH on 19/03/2017 01:30:45
Go to Top of Page

Linda Robinson
Starting member

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2017 :  01:35:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I understand. No. There is no relationship at all. We had no relations at all other than Maryland. I thought at first that the one second one you mentioned who's mother was Karoline was but it wasn't. There was no connection there. We received an email from someone about it but it proved to be no relation at all. I was so hoping that it was.
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2017 :  01:37:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
The Petter Evensen you listed is the one from Minnesota. My g-grandfather changed his name after he arrived in 1885 in the United States. The story my g-grandmother told was that my g-grandfather was a seaman and worked on various merchant ships. He left Norway around the age of 14 to sail on the merchant ships. After a run to the United States, he decided to stay

The Peter Evensen who is the son of Even Edvard Pettersen and Karoline Andersdr was born 22 jan 1868 which fits your Jan 1868 birth from the 1900 Census.

He is also not found in the 1875 Norwegian Census living with his parents. Also a fit with your ancestor.

This same Peter Evensen went to sea in 1883 which would have made him about 15 at the time. And to America in 1887 probably to Philadelphia. Thats what is contained in the some of the links from the DIS Discussion. Here is one of them.

https://media.digitalarkivet.no/ru20090423620194

The records for his travel are little hard to read but in 1883 he went to England and in 1885 he went to Melbourne {probably Australia}

I am not trying to convince you of anything just trying to say you need to give this guy a good hard look.

Edited by - AntonH on 19/03/2017 04:30:30
Go to Top of Page

Linda Robinson
Starting member

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2017 :  02:32:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, it fits. But I can't confirm anything. I did find a passenger manifest - New York Passenger list, Ship name City of Berlin which arrived in New York in April of 1885. But the destination for that Peter Evensen was Minnesota. He was also travelling with an Edward Evensen. I'm not sure if that is any relation to Peter but I do know Peter didn't have a brother or anyone who came with him.

I'm going based on the stories my g-grandmother told us when we were little about how Peter sailed with the Merchant ships all over. That's what is not making sense. But I'm going to look further into it.

Thank you. If you find anything else, please let me know
Go to Top of Page

Linda Robinson
Starting member

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2017 :  03:44:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did mention that Peter's wife told us he came on a Merchant ship. I did mention that the marriage registration was from the Maryland Archives. I was asked questions which I answered. I was told that one of his children died before 1910 but listed all the siblings with their dates of death. I also stated that I would do more research on the information given to me about the Peter who's parents were Even and Karoline. I didn't dismiss that. Anything I've offered here has been proof through records or a direct account from Maggie Evans, Peter's wife, prior to her death in 1963.

I'm sorry to have bothered anyone or if I didn't make myself clear with my explanations. I was trying to give as much information as I could.
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2017 :  04:37:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Linda, you did not bother me at all. I just wanted you to take a longer look at the various things connected with the Peter Evensen that surfaced in the DIS discussion. I will grant you that there is a paucity of strong evidence connecting your Peter Evans to anyone we found in Norway. About the only connection I have seen is a very weak one to the Petter Evensen from the DIS discussion but that seems to be about all we have found to date. Thats unfortunate but does not mean we would not keep looking with any new evidence. You have done a good job of giving us the information that you had it is just true that there is just not much evidence to look at.
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2017 :  04:41:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jwiborg

The Petter Evensen that went to Philadelphia in 1887 was born 22 Jan 1868. According to Peter Evans death record, he was born 22 Jan 1869.

"Petter Evensen who went to Philadelphia in 1887" is the DIS discussion Petter (birth day 22 January, son of Karoline Andersdatter).

I don't see the death record posted (death of Linda's Petter). Will look again.

Nope - see it mentioned, but don't see a transcription of it (nor a link to one).

If the birth day-month of your Petter (on the death record) matches the birth day-month of the DIS discussion Petter (22 January), that's a very strong indication of identity. And apparently a death record was registered, since people are discussing it .

Edited by - JaneC on 19/03/2017 05:20:10
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2017 :  10:06:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There were only a few Norwegians in Maryland. Numbers of them appeared to be sea related tradespeople, so not surprising that Peter Evans was also in younger days. If Peter came as a sailor from Norway, that is working as a sailor there may or may not be records of his migration from Norway in the transcribed lists and mostly not.

I did look through the Baltimore arrivals for any Peter arriving from Norway and found a few with apparent farm names rather than patronymics like Evensen. No Evenson names at all.

Peter Evreback b abt 1865 arrived 1886
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QV9F-WQ6B

Peter Bradthen b abt 1870 arrived 1881
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QV9F-9PXK

Peter Visch b abt 1870 arrived 1887
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QV9F-YDJV

Edited by - jkmarler on 19/03/2017 10:21:09
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2017 :  10:33:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Linda Robinson

I'm sorry to have bothered anyone or if I didn't make myself clear with my explanations. I was trying to give as much information as I could.

Chill. Don't misunderstand us. This is how our "shark tank" works. We ask questions and probe. Most often there is some nuance in the American records that might be exploited and we're searching for it.

The reason I asked about the d.c. of his children is just for that reason to multiply the chances that a more exacting birth location might be given in one of the children's records.

There is likely to have been a child born to Peter and Maggie who died early. Both the 1900 and 1910 census of Maggie has smaller numbers of living children than number of children born 1900 3/2 and 1910 6 / 5. Perhaps there will be a death record for the child with more information about Peter.

Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2017 :  14:32:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I checked the Maryland Archives and I've found nothing on his naturalization. I found his marriage to Maggie Meis and his death information in 1933.

Linda, will you please post transcriptions of these two records you found?

A posted online discussion of your Petter Evans death record says it includes a birth date of 22 January.

When the candidate Peter Evensen birth was first posted, it was captioned as "20 January" but please note it is 22 January.

The discussion was started by a Mariann with the same name as the woman on this Geni link. Contact info is included: link

Again, same name as the Mariann who started the DIS discussion, this participant in a Norway Heritage discussion. Here is a link allowing you to email her:. link

Again, same name, with contact info, as a contributor on Find-a-Grave:. link

Also, I found only one woman of that name with a Facebook profile.

My understanding of Norwegian is very limited. As I understood it, she stated that she found a death record for "Peter Evans" who married in Maryland. The death record, she said, gave his birth date as 22 January 1868.

She was researching a Petter Evensen born 22January 186- to Caroline Andersdatter (our candidate). BUT she had a problem - she did not know if "Peter Evans" could be the same as "Petter Evensen."

Linda, in your title, you call Peter "Evans/Evensen." How do you know that "Evans" was originally Evensen?

I'll make a guess that your source is oral history, a family story told by your Peter's wife Margaret Meis. If that is true, then perhaps you have an important clue that can help Mariann connect Petter Evensen (b 22 Jan 186- to Caroline Andersdatter) to Peter Evans in Baltimore.

It would probably be worthwhile to write to Mariann.

The candidate Petter Evensen was a sailor on merchant ships for a number of years, beginning in his teen years. He was raised as a foster child. An 1887 arrival record asked "Have you been in the USA before?" He answered yes. He could easily have first been in America 1885. His last whereabouts documented in Norwegian records is arrival in Port of Philadelphia June 1887. He could easily be in Baltimore the following day (or maybe later the same day? a very short trip).

I'm not clear on what is the source of each bit of data from the USA. But as far as I understand it - and correct me if I'm wrong! - it seems the candidate fits your description well.

Edited by - JaneC on 21/03/2017 22:59:30
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2017 :  15:52:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi again,

Peter Evans seems to have been a member at United Evangelical Lutheran Church in Baltimore (also known as First German...). Linda states Peter was married by F.A. Conradi of this church, and that her grandfather Christian was baptized there.

Worth checking whether the Evangelical Lutheran Church archives (accessible on Ancestry.com) include this church. Church records may tell more about Peter - for example, birth and death of the unknown child who died before 1900. link

does anyone see a source for the name "Edward Peter Evensen"? As found on a Family Search family tree:
link

The candidate's father was listed as Even Edward Petersen (of Tønsberg, Vestfold) in his birth record. We have many times seen patronymic names morph into middle names (e.g., Niels Petersen Holm becomes Niels Peter Holm). If the name 'Edward" appeared in a USA record, that doesn't seem to rule out the candidate.

Edited by - JaneC on 19/03/2017 16:57:40
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 19/03/2017 :  21:45:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is an Even Edvard / Eduard Pederson living in Nøttero in 1875, an unmarried sailor:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:K8WL-ZF8

1875 Actual image
SAKO, Folketelling 1875 for 0722P Nøtterøy prestegjeld, 1875, s. 2185
Brukslenke for sidevisning: https://media.digitalarkivet.no/ft20110215320590

A possible for this Even in 1910 census, interesting wife is named Karoline:
https://digitalarkivet.arkivverket.no/ft/person/pf01036488000654

Same Even Moe in 1900 census:
https://digitalarkivet.arkivverket.no/ft/person/pf01037146001090

A fully named Even Edvard Pederson dying in Ramnes Vestfold in 1910:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NWP6-DNY

#6 unmarried sailor, upper half of page:
SAKO, Ramnes kirkebøker, F/Fa/L0008: Ministerialbok nr. I 8, 1896-1913, s. 185
Brukslenke for sidevisning: https://media.digitalarkivet.no/kb20060628020152

A birth / baptism for Even Edvard Pedersen:
https://digitalarkivet.arkivverket.no/gen/vis/255/pd00000001197556

Edited by - jkmarler on 20/03/2017 06:01:10
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2017 :  01:16:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

...marriage date as aug 27, 1894. I have a copy of the registration card form the Maryland archives....

Do you have just an index card, or a copy of the full, original marriage record? Seemingly there is also a church book record of this marriage. Have you seen it?

Interesting about the Even Eduard Petersen who died unmarried. I didn't follow the earlier discussion of "his real name was Svend..."
Go to Top of Page

mastokk2

Norway
70 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2017 :  20:03:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi, this is Mariann ;-)

I have been searching for information that can make me sure that the Peter Evensen I (and you), have found born in Jan 22 1868, is the same as the one who died May 27 1935, living in Baltimore and married to Margaret Meis.

I have been quite sure, because there were quite a lot of mathces, but the last brick was not there, like a probate records for his mother (f.ex.), telling that Peter her son was living in USA when she died.

I have NOT been able to locate her deat-date!! Used hours and hours in searching from last summer when I found a request from one of Linda Robinsons relatives (a cousin?) Margie B.

I located Peters death record in Baltimore, sometimes in the summer 2016. I have sent all the information I found to Margie, but maybe you not know each other Linda?
I think her Grandfather was Christian, if my mind not is wrong...

And Christian is the name of Peter (from Slagen, Tønsberg)`s halfbrother (I think there must have been a contact between these brothers, they were raised in the same area)!! He was born 1873, and there were a sister born in 1876 (I have tried to locate her, but have not been able to, maybe she died...), and another sister born in March 1878, she died imiidiateley after birth....

Christian have descendants living in NorWay, I am in contact with one of them, and as Margie B have taken a DNA test, Christian desc have done, and they will check out if there is matches between them :-)

I know that Peter was raised in a fosterfamily (I have copies from the books who takes care of children/parents in this situation), Christian in one another!!

So as I said, there is a lot of matches in this histories

Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2017 :  21:24:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mariann, We are very interested in seeing or knowing what is on the death record. Can you post what you see on the death record.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article