All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Petter Evans/Evensen/Evenson 1868
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2017 :  10:32:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Mariann. It would be interesting to know more specifics - for example, when did Caroline name Svend instead of Even, who were the foster parents, where was half-brother Christian born, etc. You did some impressive, serious digging!

Edited by - JaneC on 21/03/2017 22:57:51
Go to Top of Page

Linda Robinson
Starting member

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2017 :  11:25:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been searching for a death record on Peter Evans. I'm glad you were able to view the death record in Baltimore. Would you happen to have the death certificate number so that I can get a copy of that record. I contact Maryland Archives and was told the only way I could see that record was to go to their office, which I plan to do next week or give them a death certificate number and they will mail me a copy. The only death verification I could find was a copy of their index book where their office recorded only names and years of people who died in Baltimore City. The year listed for my g-grandfather was 1933.
Go to Top of Page

mastokk2

Norway
70 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2017 :  12:15:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The registrationnr is 13055 The copy of the death record will come later today, it was not possible for me to post it into this pg, so I have sent it to one of the others here, he will post it :-)

As I told in another Message, I have sent the information I have found to Margie B, she is descendant from Christian (Peters oldest son), like you?

Go to Top of Page

Linda Robinson
Starting member

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2017 :  15:09:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
margie is my sister
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2017 :  15:17:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jane from above

quote:
Perhaps no Baltimore family member had the adoption story. Instead, the adoption story describes the candidate Peter in Norway (born 22 January 1868 in Slagen-Sem, Vestfold, to Caroline Andersdatter).

If I have that right, then the trait of "being adopted" cannot be used as a marker of similarity between the candidate Peter and Peter Evans in Baltimore. I earlier called that trait a similarity between them, so I withdraw that comment.

From the original post by Linda on page one

quote:
The stories have been told that he may have been adopted

That sounds to me as if the family knew from stories told within the family. Maybe you can put it back in.

Edited by - AntonH on 21/03/2017 15:57:57
Go to Top of Page

vivi

Norway
371 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2017 :  16:07:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi

When the Peter born 22. jan. 1868 was confirmated at Nøtterøy in 1882 his residence was Smidsrød.
There is a Peter living as a "pleiesønn" (fosterchild) at Smidsrød in the 1875 census, but his "surname" is listed as Johannessen. Mistake?

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:K8WL-JNX

Vivi
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2017 :  16:41:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From Mariann: Peter Evans' death record.

Go to Top of Page

mastokk2

Norway
70 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2017 :  18:19:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you to JPWiborg for posting the deathrecord!!

The Peter found in the 1875 Census, is not the right Peter....

I have tried to locate him/his fosterfamily in the scanned version of the Census1875, but not been able to, not yet :-/

Margie told me in the summer (when I started the research), that there was a history in the family that Peter was raised in a fosterfamily...

I will post the information I received in the copies in a while. :-)
Go to Top of Page

Linda Robinson
Starting member

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2017 :  18:22:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I want to thank everyone who has been working on this. Margie has been concentrating on the other side of the family while I've been doing Evans/Davis/Orem. So, again thank you
Go to Top of Page

mastokk2

Norway
70 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2017 :  19:33:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It looks like Peter was living together with Christian Larsen (maybe his mothers uncle?) Skallevolds family from about spring 1869, until the spring 1875, then it looks like they moved him to Peter Magnus (or Magnussen) Smidsrød.

Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2017 :  21:50:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
It looks like Peter was living together with Christian Larsen (maybe his mothers uncle?) Skallevolds family from about spring 1869, until the spring 1875, then it looks like they moved him to Peter Magnus (or Magnussen) Smidsrød.

If that is correct Mariann, then Vivi did have the right family in the 1875 Census. And the question is why is he given the last name of Johannessen?

Here is a link to the whole family living at Smidsrød in 1875

This may or may not have a bearing on the posters interest but it appears that Peter Magnussen and Laura Nilsdatter or at least their daughter ended up in Brooklyn NY. This is the wedding of their daughter Marie in 1891.

Peter Magnusen
in the U.S., Evangelical Lutheran Church of America, Records, 1875-1940
Name: Peter Magnusen
Spouse: Laurine Nilsen Smedsrud
Church Name: Our Saviour's Lutheran
Church Location: Brooklyn, New York

Edited by - AntonH on 21/03/2017 23:01:10
Go to Top of Page

Linda Robinson
Starting member

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2017 :  23:07:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Any information from Norway is greatly appreciated. All of you have found more information than I have been able to find. Thank you all
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2017 :  23:17:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Anton, you've got your hands full monitoring us, lol. I agree re adoption story - you're right. I goofed.

Wonderful to see the death certificate, naming the Peter Evans who died as being a painter, which was true for Linda's Peter Evans, and other corroborating details, such as residence Parksville. Since more than one Peter Evans lived in Baltimore county, the full, complete record is welcome verification.

Edited by - JaneC on 21/03/2017 23:28:55
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2017 :  23:40:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I am still not convinced that Svend Edvard Pedersen from Østfold is the father of Peter Evensen born 1868 in Vestfold. The mother is clear but the father is still in my mind a ?.

Edited by - AntonH on 21/03/2017 23:48:43
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2017 :  00:13:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I haven't checked into this, but as a coincidence, Svend Edvard Petersen is married to Marie Elise Magnussen born in Sweden, and in 1875 care of Peter has been assigned to Peter Magnussen born in Sweden.

Edited by - JaneC on 22/03/2017 00:17:16
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article