All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 John Leonard Olsen (Olsson)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9214 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2017 :  00:23:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perhaps this is the death record for the father Ole Andersen. Says he is from Norway and 65 years old. Present were Ole Olsen and unreadable name. Died March 10, 1863.

Ole Anderson
in the Quebec, Canada, Vital and Church Records (Drouin Collection), 1621-1968
Name: Ole Anderson
[Ole Andreson]
Event: Enterrement (Burial)
Burial Year: 1863
Burial Location: Gaspé, Québec (Quebec)
Place of Worship or Institution: Anglican Church

Edited by - AntonH on 29/03/2017 00:26:09
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2017 :  01:36:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very interesting finds by everyone.

Some more history of Norwegians in Gaspe: link

Edited by - JaneC on 29/03/2017 01:37:06
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2017 :  03:18:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This descendant says Johann Hillmer Olsson (aka Henry John) was born 03 March 1854 at Fjilbecka (?), Sweden. She says he emigrated from Sweden 1869.
link

Maybe this town? link

Stef, just to state the obvious - so far there's no evidence that Ole Andersen had children and no evidence he had a wife. There's no evidence John Leonard Olson was his son. There's no evidence that John Leonard Olson and Henry John Olson were brothers.

Based on a Roots web post, the family tree you posted begins with genealogy in Gaspe done by a local historian in the 1950s. It has been added to. The Roots web version does not list Guri. It does not link Ole wth John or John with Henry.

Have you tried writing to the family tree creator to ask for more information about the tree's sources?

Edited by - JaneC on 29/03/2017 03:37:06
Go to Top of Page

stef

Canada
73 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2017 :  03:38:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Emma Tope maried John Leonard Olsen and her Sister Nancy Tope married John Henry Olsen ! I think twu sisters married two Olsen brothers
http://bakerchild.tribalpages.com/tribe/browse?userid=bakerchild&view=0&pid=10965&ver=129623
Go to Top of Page

stef

Canada
73 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2017 :  03:48:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I will trie to talk with a family member !
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2017 :  14:21:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here again (see link below) is the same descendant of "Johann Hillmer." This post also does not tell where her information came from (she doesn't tell her sources). We obviously can't yet know if everything she writes is correct.

In this post she includes contact info:
http://www.genealogy.com/forum/regional/countries/topics/canada/51797/

Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9214 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2017 :  01:48:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I notice that one link shows a birth of Mar 3, 1853 and another is Mar 3, 1854. Neither is findable in the Ancestry.com data base of "Sweden, Select Baptisms, 1611-1920"
Go to Top of Page

stef

Canada
73 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2017 :  02:46:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe it-s not Sweden he came from but Norway
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9214 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2017 :  03:33:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From Ancestry Roots discussion

Anna Olson, daughter of Ola and Gurs?? Anderson, Norwegian of Gaspé Basin, born Dec. 31st 1862, baptised Feb. 8th 1863. Signed Joseph and Frederick, last names illegible.

Ole Andreson, native of Norway, died on March 10th 1863, buried on the 21st. Present: ??? Lusen, Ole Oleson.

Edited by - AntonH on 30/03/2017 03:35:31
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2017 :  02:00:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
N.C. Brun (1846-1919) arrived Gaspe in July 1861 on the Brig Brødrene, departing Trondheim May 25th, together with parents and other relatives.
In a history written in 1911, he describes the early years in Gaspe, which must have been a nightmare for most settlers. -Fearful experiences with hunger and cold in a forsaken and weather-beaten spot.

His father (Didrik Nilsen), and 3 families from Trøndelag settled together in the forest; the 3 were Johansen, Berg and tailor Andersen. The other people from Trøndelag settled further away from the coast. The popular coast were already taken by the English.

On behalf of the Canadian Government, agent Christopher Closter recruited people in the Stavanger area to emigate on the Bark Iris, while agent Helge Haugan recruited people from Trøndelag and North of Norway (Nordland / Troms) to emigrate on the Brig Brødrene.

Would you know if your folks were members of The Religious Society called "Quakers"? A lot of the people leaving on the Bark Iris from Stavanger to Gaspe in July 1861 were Quakers.
I'm a bit confused about the Fjällbacka information. What is the original source for that?
Agent Helge Haugan went far up north to recruite emigrants, so it's likely he also was in the Hemnes area were this Johan Henrik Olesen born 03 Mar 1854 was found, with father Ole Andersen. And one hour north of Hemnes is a place called Fjellbakken. Could be a coincidence, but...

The book "Norse heritage : yearbook. Vol. 2" published Stavanger 1991 tells that agent Closter recruited from the Stavanger region, while agent Haugan was successul in the Lofoten and Trondheim region.
Their two shiploads of settlers arrived Gaspe in early summer of 1861, along with a group of Swedish Quakers and a few stragglers picked up on the way.
All in all, approximately 400 new immigrants joined the one year old settlement,
Chances are very high that your folks arrived in 1861, from either of the mentioned places above.

Pastor N. C. Brun

Edited by - jwiborg on 01/04/2017 14:13:18
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2017 :  03:57:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A descendant made some claims on two links I posted including a birth place of "Fjilbecka, Sweden (near Stockholm)" She gave no sources and no indication of how she came up with that. If that had credible support and documentation, we'd expect to see that on the online family trees, but they do not include any birth place.

The descendant and the tree creator should be or could be contacted and queried about their sources.

Edited by - JaneC on 01/04/2017 04:00:07
Go to Top of Page

CoookieNB
New on board

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2020 :  14:52:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello, I just found this forum.

I am a descendant of John Olsson and I am doing my family genealogy. Emily Olson, John's daughter, was my mother's grand-mother in Gaspé, Qc. I am stumped at the same point you all were...now here's my theory based on the info available... John Olsson immigrated in 1880, at 30 years old. Ole Anderson was already dead by then. They might be related, but I don't think they came over at the same time. That's according to census data, but I'm still digging.
Go to Top of Page

Tbagyan
New on board

Canada
1 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2020 :  14:31:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Stef, my children are John L Olsen's great great grandchildren. I have a story from John's grand-daughter that John Olsen worked in a paper mill around the Gaspe area. When he was 50 years old, he died in a horrible accident at the mill. His wife Emma died a couple of years later in an asylum.
Go to Top of Page

CoookieNB
New on board

Canada
2 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2020 :  21:11:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tbagyan

Hi Stef, my children are John L Olsen's great great grandchildren. I have a story from John's grand-daughter that John Olsen worked in a paper mill around the Gaspe area. When he was 50 years old, he died in a horrible accident at the mill. His wife Emma died a couple of years later in an asylum.

Hi Tbagyan, thank you for that information. John and Emma's daughter Emily is my grand-father's mother. Looks like we are related! I grew up in the Gaspé area and my mom knew Emily.
Go to Top of Page

stef

Canada
73 Posts

Posted - 24/09/2021 :  15:53:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks you Tbagyan It's interesting to have details about the lives of these brave men who crossed the ocean to rebuild their lives. Any details regarding the accident that claimed his life?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article