All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Tharald Tharaldsen
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Mary Persky
Starting member

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2017 :  06:11:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Searching for information. This is my husband's biological father. According to an application for naturalization, ship log, other things he filled out and a death certificate, this is what I know.
Born September 6, 1892 in Nedinis.also the name Isor or Risor is added on another document. He sailed on the SS Noruega in October 1913. He listed the contact person in Norway as Marie Tharaldsen. His death certificate in 1946 in a TB hospital gave his parents names as Oleson and Anna Marie Tharaldsen.

Now I don't know where to look for the next step.

Thanks

maryp

Mary Persky
Starting member

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2017 :  06:28:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did do a simple search but couldn't find anything that matched as far as I could tell.

maryp
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2017 :  10:15:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Baptised/christened as "Tarald", son of Tarald Olsen and Anne Hansdatter in Søndeled district of Aust-Agder (then known as Nedenes), Norway.
https://media.digitalarkivet.no/kb20060728080373

By 1900 it appears his mother has died or left and he still lives with father, step-mother? and siblings on Sætra farm in Søndeled.
http://www.rhd.uit.no/folketellinger/ftliste_e.aspx?ft=1900&knr=0913&kenr=010&bnr=0002&lnr=00
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2017 :  13:29:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a Tarald Taraldsen with the 6 Sept 1892 birthdate in the 1910 census:
https://digitalarkivet.arkivverket.no/ft/person/pf01036541004764
Most likely the baptism you linked to,a brother of Enga Melaas.

Here he is leaving in 1913, a railroad worker:
https://digitalarkivet.arkivverket.no/gen/vis/8/pe00000000324365

Berent Melaas, with whom Taral lives in 1910, goes to US in 1923 to his sister Telma Melaas in Flushing, New York

Edited by - jkmarler on 01/04/2017 13:55:51
Go to Top of Page

Mary Persky
Starting member

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2017 :  15:43:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are overcome to see this information and of course it makes you want to know more. I am curious about the spelling of the name. He used Tom Taraldsen after arriving in US but we were searching under Tharaldsen because that was on the ship's register. He used another variation on the naturalization paper but used Tharaldsen for my husband (named after him) on a baptismal certificate in Texas. (My husband's mother simply changed his name to her new husband's name when he was 3). Also, who was the 'Marie Tharaldsen' listed on the ship register as the person in Norway for contact? We assumed that was his mother as the info given to the TB hospital said his mother was Anne Marie.

maryp
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2017 :  16:18:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The name spelling can be different from record to record, even occasionally "Americanized" almost beyond recognition. But it doesn't change who he was. That's just the way it went.

We have no information about a "Marie Tharaldsen" which would allow us to tell you who she was. Does your ship register (which we have not seen) give any more information about her in 1913?

The information about his parents you said was listed on his death certificate. Consider that the deceased was not the informant for that document. It had to be someone else.
Go to Top of Page

Mary Persky
Starting member

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2017 :  16:40:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Citation Information
Detail
The National Archives at Washington, D.C.; Washington, D.C.; Series Title: Passenger Lists of Vessels Arriving at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; NAI Number: 4492386; Record Group Title: Records of the Immigration and Naturalization Service, 1787-2004; Record

Source Information
Title
Pennsylvania, Passenger and Crew Lists, 1800-1962-
this is from my ancestry.com record. I have the ship manifest downloaded as an image but can't figure out how to upload it here.
On the death certificate,he was in that TB hospital for over 2 years. We don't believe his wife was still in the picture at that point as she had left the area. So we were thinking that he had given that info before he died. Conjecture on our part. They had named an infant daughter who only lived 4 months Anna Marie. My husband's sister said her mother told her she was named after Taraldsen's mother.

maryp
Go to Top of Page

Mary Persky
Starting member

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2017 :  16:43:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
there was a column on the manifest that was for a contact person in Norway. Just the name Marie Tharaldsen was in that column. no other info

maryp
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2017 :  16:50:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tharald was born and raised here:

Go to Top of Page

Mary Persky
Starting member

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2017 :  17:32:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wow, my husband will be pleased to see this. He has been looking at maps trying to figure it out. Are there pictures of this area available? I feel greedy now that you all have given us this. My dream is to find a picture of his father or a close relative. He does not not look like anyone on his mother's side.

maryp
Go to Top of Page

Mary Persky
Starting member

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2017 :  18:07:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
thank you

maryp
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2017 :  18:16:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

"Our belowed Mother, mother-in-law and sister Marie Taraldsen 57 ¼ y.o and our belowed brother and brother-in-law Aasmund Tallaksen nearly 32 y.o. died today. Dørsdalen, February 13th, 1914. On behalf of family and myself; Teresie Tallaksen"

The churchbook says they both drowned.
#2, Bachelor, worker Aasmund Tallaksen, born 1882 on Moen, residence Dørsdalen.
#4, Farmer-widow Marie Taraldsen, born 1856 in Gjerstad, residence Dørsdalen.
Census-1900 shows that Tarald has a sister named Teresie. Is it the same Teresie?

Sætra, Risør

Click here to go directly to the farm. Use +/- to zoom. Select Hybrid, Foto or Skråfoto to change to satellite view.

Edited by - jwiborg on 01/04/2017 18:25:38
Go to Top of Page

Mary Persky
Starting member

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2017 :  18:43:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so the Marie on the ship's manifest would have been Tarald's sister. That is reasonable. It is also reasonable that he would have named a daughter after his mother and sister. Exciting to see the property from the air.

maryp
Go to Top of Page

Mary Persky
Starting member

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2017 :  18:46:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it would also seem to be reasonable that Teresie would be the sister listed on the census.

maryp
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2017 :  19:06:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Persky

so the Marie on the ship's manifest would have been Tarald's sister. That is reasonable. It is also reasonable that he would have named a daughter after his mother and sister. Exciting to see the property from the air.

No. The Marie who died in 1914 was 57 ¼ years old, so she is born ab. Oct/Nov 1856, way too old to be a sister...
It was mother and son who drowned Mari Tharraldsen

Edited by - jwiborg on 01/04/2017 19:17:35
Go to Top of Page

Mary Persky
Starting member

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2017 :  19:23:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
plus that Tarald's bd is wrong. thanks for catching that. I am such a novice at this.

maryp
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article