All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Tharald Tharaldsen
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2017 :  19:48:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is a chance that this Marie Taraldsen is the same as mentioned as contact person, but I can't see any relationship at first glance.

This Marie Taraldsen who drowned in 1914 was originally "Mari Aasmundsdatter, born 28 Sep 1856, daughter of Aasmund and Helje Åbø in Gjerstad. Marie was married to Tallak Taraldson (1846-1893).
Children:
1. Tarald (1882-1883)
2. twin Aasmund (1882-1914). drowned
3. Stian (1883-1884)
4. twin Anders (1883-1972) married 1912 to Teresie Vroldsdatter Avreid (parents: Vrold Vroldsen & Kirsten)
5. Tarald (1887 -)
6. Olaf (1890 -)

Edited by - jwiborg on 01/04/2017 19:52:23
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9141 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2017 :  23:29:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Posted by Mary

quote:
so the Marie on the ship's manifest would have been Tarald's sister. That is reasonable. It is also reasonable that he would have named a daughter after his mother and sister. Exciting to see the property from the air.

Mary, I think I may have jumped the gun when I gave you a sister named Karoline Marie as a sister. Her parents are named Tarald Olsen and Anne Emile Hansdatter. Very close names but I have found a marriage of Tarald Olsen and Anne Emile Hansdatter in Søndeled but the birth years of both husband and wife do not match the parents listed in the Norwegian Census posted by Hansen for your family of interest. The couple I first posted of Tarald Olsen and Anne Emile Hansdtte are significantly older and thus the Karoline Marie is not the sister of your Tarald (Tharald).

Here is the marriage the true Tarald Olsen and Anne Hansdatter (notice the middle name of Emile is not used). The birth years of this couple match the birth years found in the Census data. I am going to delete the earlier data.

Tarald Olsen
in the Norway, Select Marriages, 1660-1926
Name: Tarald Olsen
Birth Date: 1851
Marriage Date: 7 jan 1873
Marriage Place: , Sondeled, Aust-Agder, Norway
Father: Ole Thorbjornsen
Spouse: Anne Hansdr
FHL Film Number: 123662

So we still have not found a Marie Taraldsdatter (Tharaldsen) for you.

Edited by - AntonH on 02/04/2017 00:31:55
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9141 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2017 :  23:41:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This then is Tarald Olsen's second marriage to Berte who is found in the Census data posted by Hansen.

Tarald Olsen
Marital Status: Widowed
Birth Date: 1851
Marriage Date: 5 aug 1899
Marriage Place: Søndeled, Aust-Agder, Norway
Father: Ole Torbjornsen
Spouse: Berte Marie Olsdr
FHL Film Number: 1283351
Reference ID: item 3 bk A5

Edited by - AntonH on 01/04/2017 23:46:01
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2017 :  23:46:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Taralds mother Anne Hansdatter died on Sætra 11 APR 1898 from pulmonary tuberculosis. She was born 1848 on Holt.
Her marriage.
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9141 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2017 :  23:57:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My apologies for the bad information earlier but this one looks better. Both father and mother and the birth years look good. I will explore it further to see if it pans out. In the 1900 Census posted by Hansen she is listed using only her first name of Tolma. There is also the person surfaced by Jan Peter to consider. Might be difficult to determine the real person.

Tolma Marie Olsen
in the Norway, Select Baptisms, 1634-1927
Name: Tolma Marie Olsen
Birth Date: 21 mai 1895 (21 May 1895)
Baptism Date: 18 aug 1895
Baptism Place: Risør, Aust-Agder, Norway
Father's Age: year 1851
Mother's Age: year 1848
Father: Tarald Olsen
Mother: Anne Hansdr
FHL Film Number: 1283351

Edited by - AntonH on 02/04/2017 00:11:40
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2017 :  23:59:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lyndal40

So we still have not found a Marie Taraldsdatter (Tharaldsen) for you.

Dørsdalen is only 5 minutes from Sætra, so there's still a possibility that this Marie Taraldsen born 1856 is the correct one...

EDIT: I agree. It could be his sister Tolma Marie. She lived to be 95 y.o, and died in 1990.
Her she is in census-1910

Edited by - jwiborg on 02/04/2017 00:09:40
Go to Top of Page

Mary Persky
Starting member

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2017 :  00:40:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see that the step mother's middle name was Marie. He was only 8 when his mother died, so the stepmother probably raised him and may be the Marie he put on the ship manifest.

thank you all

maryp
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2017 :  00:44:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mary Persky

I see that the step mother's middle name was Marie. He was only 8 when his mother died, so the stepmother probably raised him and may be the Marie he put on the ship manifest.

thank you all

Yes, that's a good possibility. A bit strange that he didn't give his father's name as contact info. Seems that his father was still alive in 1924.
Below is Sætra, built 1750. Extended and modernized 1940. Pictured early 1950's.
Tarald Sætra sold the farm in 1924 to a man named Tor Andersen.

Edited by - jwiborg on 02/04/2017 00:45:58
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9141 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2017 :  00:50:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is some further information on the family. The father of your Tharald Tharaldsen was named Tarald Olsen and was born in 1851. Based on the data so far we can find a Tarald Olsen born in 1851 in the 1865 census for Risør/Søndeled and find on the farm named Sætra this family with father named Ole Torbjørnsen and mother named Anne Tomine Kristiansdatter

Probably the baptism record for Tarald Olsen

Tarald Olsen
Birth Date: 19 feb 1851
Baptism Date: 9 mar 1851
Baptism Place: , Sondeled, Aust-Agder, Norway
Father: Ole Torbjornsen
Mother: Anne Tomine Christensdr

Original record see number 17

Your husbands great grandfather and great grandmother appear to be the Ole Torbjørnsen and Anne Tomine Christiensdatter shown above.

The name Anne Tormine is quite distinctive and we know her birth approximate birth year from the 1865 Census and the area Søndeled/Risør where she is from. With that in mind this is likely her baptism record.

Anne Tomine Christensen
Name: Anne Tomine Christensen
[Anne Tomine Jonsen]
Baptism Date: 6 apr 1818
Baptism Place: , Sondeled, Aust-Agder, Norway
Father: Kristen Jonsen
Mother: Siri Larsdr

Original record right hand page number 6

This record shows that the great great grandparents of your husband were married shortly before Anne Tomine was born.

Kristen Jonsen
Name: Kristen Jonsen
Marriage Date: 2 jan 1818
Marriage Place: , Sondeled, Aust-Agder, Norway
Spouse: Siri Larsdr

Original record right hand page number 2

The original record gives the age of the bride and groom. The age for Kristen is a little hard to read but for Siri Larsdatter it is clearly 19 years old and gives the farm name Barmen as part of her name. In the 1801 Norwegian Census there is a Siri Larsdtter born 1798 on the Barmen Farm. Most likely that is her. Her father is Lars Larsen born about 1750 and his third wife Tøber Pedersdatter born about 1770.

1801 Census

Baptism of Siri right hand page Sept 23, 1798

Siri

Edited by - AntonH on 03/04/2017 03:25:22
Go to Top of Page

Mary Persky
Starting member

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2017 :  01:02:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
my husband, Tom, is completely blown away by this picture of the home. You are truly a blessing from the Lord to us. We are beginning to feel a connection to the Taraldsen family.

maryp
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2017 :  01:37:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fun fact:
The woman in white is married to a grandchild of Taralds brother Peder Taraldsen b. 1883.
Here is Peder Taraldsen in census-1910 with daughter Agnes, which is the woman's mother-in-law.
I believe the man to the right is her husband, which thus is the grandchild of Peder.

Edited by - jwiborg on 02/04/2017 01:45:40
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2017 :  11:39:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
sjohistorie.no has a number of the sailor's records in this family :
Despite the difference in the given birthdate this may be part of the record on the father Tarald Olsen:

Tarald Olsen
Informasjonen om registrerte krigsseilere er ikke nødvendigvis fullstendig. Eksempelvis vil mønstringer og utmerkelser for enkelte sjøfolk bli registrert senere, ettersom nye kilder blir gjennomgått.
Født 1. februar 1851
Annotasjonsrulle
D1 59a 07.14.1866, overført Q3-909
Fødested Søndeled
Bosted Søndeld, rode 4
Relasjon til fylke Aust-Agder
Tilknyttet mønstringsdistrikt Risør - Lyngør
Har stillinger Tømmermann

Mønstringer (10)

At the site by clicking on Mønstringer as above you can see a listing of some of the voyages the sailor worked on, name of the ship, the date mustered in and harbor and date mustered out. Tarald had 3 brothers in the 1900 census who are also in the database, Peder, Hans, Aanon Emil
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2017 :  12:05:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Peder Taraldsen in 1910:
https://digitalarkivet.arkivverket.no/ft/person/pf01036548001948
Go to Top of Page

UnniKnutsen
Starting member

Norway
6 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2020 :  19:24:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My cousin saw this conversation yesterday and noticed me. We are both grandchildren of Sofie, Tarald's sister. Tarald was one of 12 brothers and sisters. The youngest was named Tolma Marie, and I spent every summer with her in my childhood.

I own the farm next to Sætra where Tarald and Sofie were born. I also think I may have a picture of Tarald, where my mother have noted: My uncle Tom.

Teresie (or Therese) emigrated to the US and settled in Wildwood, New Jersey. She had three children, and often came back to Norway. Several other brothers also emigrated and worked in the oil industry in Texas. Andreas (maybe later Andrew?) may have moved to Alaska. I do not know much about them after emigration.

I`d like to share my family tree with you if you'd like. I know you posted this a few years ago, but still hope my message will reach you.

Best wishes from

Unni Knutsen
Go to Top of Page

Mary Persky
Starting member

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2020 :  21:20:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
UnniKnutsen How exciting to hear from you. A picture of Tom would be an answer to prayer. I am in contact with one of Teresie's granddaughters (thru Ancestry DNA) but she said her grandmother didn't talk much about the family. I am in Ancestry still and would love to share and see what you have. I did know there were other brothers (from ship records) that I believe were in Texas at the same time Teresie & her husband were here working in oil fields and the granddaughter has a picture but no names attached. I feel certain one of those was Tom. My Tom's bd is Feb. 28. A picture of his dad would be wonderful. This is my email 1943mhper@reagan.com I am also on FB as Mary Persky. And I would love to see the family tree.

maryp
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article