All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Adolf Ols.(20y), Anna Ols.(24y), Adolf Ols.(1m)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9141 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2017 :  16:48:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a baptism record for a Wilhelmine Tobine Williamsen. I wonder if this is not the wife of Anton M Olson.

Wilhelmine Tobine Williamsen
in the Norway, Select Baptisms, 1634-1927
Name: Wilhelmine Tobine Williamsen
Birth Date: 26 sep 1870
Baptism Date: 31 okt 1870 (31 Oct 1870)
Baptism Place: , Finsland, Vest-Agder, Norway
Father: Wilhelm Thomsen
Mother: Berte Bertelsdr
FHL Film Number: 127249

Original record

Confirmation

Oct 11 1885

Birth date matches this Naturalization Record for the Wilhelmina Olson who died in Janesville Wisconsin.

Wilhelmina Tobina Olson
in the U.S. Naturalization Record Indexes, 1791-1992 (Indexed in World Archives Project)
Name: Wilhelmina Tobina Olson
Birth Date: 26 Sep 1870
Birth Place: Norway
Age at event: 71
Court District: Illinois, Indiana, Wisconsin, Iowa
Year of Arrival: 1889
Date of Action: 17 Apr 1942

Arrival date on the card says Oct 1889, New York

Edited by - AntonH on 07/04/2017 17:27:06
Go to Top of Page

tmlynch
Starting member

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2017 :  21:47:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lyndal40

I changed the table up a little to make it a little easier to read and added some further information. You can thank Jackie for making me go back and look at the data that I had dismissed for the very reasons you stated.
I think that this information adds further to your theory. I think it is very likely that the daughter of Anton Andersen Ronnie named Anna Ludvika had a chid with a Adolf Olsen and those three accompanied the father and mother of Anna to America as part of the group of nine.

I agree Anna Ludvika had a child with Adolf Olsen and emigrated with Anna Ludvika's parents. I am curios how you discovered Adolf Ols. = Adolf Olsen. I have trouble searching the various sources. While I have been able to muddle through, sometimes I am unable to recreate the same search from one day to the next. I wish there was a tutorial for a beginner such as myself...

It looks like the last bit of research is to place Ann Ludvika/Adolf Olsen in North Dakota.
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9141 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2017 :  22:58:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess it bothers me a little that if Hulda Olson is daughter of Adolf Olson and probable second wife Wilhelmina Tomina why is she not with the parents in Cooperstown, Griggs, North Dakota as are five other children in the 1900 Census. Have you ever tried contacting officials in Valley City Barnes North Dakota to see if there is a birth record for Hulda.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2017 :  00:03:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
North Dakota had a law on the books requiring birth certificates in 1893 but people were not compliant, so there may or may not be an actual civil record of her birth.

If they were Lutheran, it would more likely for there to be a baptism than a civil record. But since he was listed as a Rev in Wilhelmine's obit, and he was not in Norske Lutherske Prester i Amerika, maybe they are some other persuasion than Lutheran.

I wonder if Orville's family might know when and where he was baptized, since he was born in Valley City, so a search could be made in that church's records.

I did look into the Quam funeral home records index today at the genealogical library but did not find A.M. Olson.

I did search in the baptisms of Vigten for any Adolf Olsen b 1866-1868 and found none. Also looked into confirmations 1882-1887 for any Adolf Olson and found none. So it appears he may have come from someplace else.

I also checked for a baptism in Vigten 1885-1887 for the baby Adolf or Wolf and did not find him. His age varies a bit, the old version has him as 1 month old and the new version of the database is, if my memory hasn't failed, as 10 months old. If he is only a month they may not have baptized him. There are more Antons than Adolfs in the Vigten records I read and it also appears that Anton was more common than Adolf as a name amongst Norwegians over here.

There is pretty good coverage of the Thief River Falls and Crookston papers in the old fulton history site and there was one very truncated article in which a Hulda Olson was mentioned that had received a visit from her brother in North Dakota, in the 19teens but no name nor other information. And strangely in the 1900 census there were not so many Hulda of any last name born in North Dakota about 1892 but there were many more of Hulda b ND abt 1892 in the 1940 census than there were in 1900, go figure.

So perhaps you might let us in on more information about Hulda herself to see if we can find any small thing, forgotten, that might help with the search to find her parents. Since Anton Ronne and Lorentse Ronne are a Hulda Olson's grandparents for certain, perhaps you might want to spring for an estate probate record search in King county Washington to see if he had wealth to be divided in which his heirs might be mentioned. A search at genealogybank in the Seattle paper didnot find a death record or obit of Anton Ronne / Rynne. Likewise unsuccessful with a full obit for John Gade in 1929, there was only a death notice. There apparently were some connections between the Minnesota and Washington Ronne families as late as 1921, since Mrs. Annie K Ronne of Crookston, Minnesota announced the engagement and forthcoming marriage of her daughter Selma Laurine, and then in social notes article about the marriage ceremony after the marriage had been performed.

It must have been a very sad thing when so many of Anton's children died before him. But it also leads to a dropping of the cultural ball between generations, memories get lost so easily.

Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2017 :  00:12:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I guess it bothers me a little that if Hulda Olson is daughter of Adolf Olson and probable second wife Wilhelmina Tomina why is she not with the parents in Cooperstown, Griggs, North Dakota as are five other children in the 1900 Census. Have you ever tried contacting officials in Valley City Barnes North Dakota to see if there is a birth record for Hulda.

My notion for the interest in Wilhelmine is that Adolf clearly was in Valley City and that he had at least two children with another woman, the boys Anton and Arthur who were in the family in the 1900 census who were born before his marriage to Wilhelmine.

Perhaps the first wife who we hope was named Anne / Anna died before 1894 thus leaving a bit of time for Hulda to have been a part of that family. It happens frequently when a mother dies that the most helpless infants are the ones usually farmed out to services or other relatives. That is what I suppose happened in the Olson family if Hulda was indeed part of that family.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2017 :  00:19:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tmlynch

quote:

I changed the table up a little to make it a little easier to read and added some further information. You can thank Jackie for making me go back and look at the data that I had dismissed for the very reasons you stated.
I think that this information adds further to your theory. I think it is very likely that the daughter of Anton Andersen Ronnie named Anna Ludvika had a chid with a Adolf Olsen and those three accompanied the father and mother of Anna to America as part of the group of nine.

I agree Anna Ludvika had a child with Adolf Olsen and emigrated with Anna Ludvika's parents. I am curios how you discovered Adolf Ols. = Adolf Olsen. I have trouble searching the various sources. While I have been able to muddle through, sometimes I am unable to recreate the same search from one day to the next. I wish there was a tutorial for a beginner such as myself...

It looks like the last bit of research is to place Ann Ludvika/Adolf Olsen in North Dakota.

It has been reported to me and within my own experience that search engines change from day to day and that they are actually learning and improving from our use. More than one researcher has told me of this phenomenon.

Re: your lapsed Ancestry account. Check at your public library because many public libraries have a " library edition" of Ancestry databases which are free to use by cardholders. Familysearch.org is a free site which has many of the same databases as Ancestry.

Edited by - jkmarler on 08/04/2017 04:16:44
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9141 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2017 :  17:07:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am not sure this contributes directly to the questions at hand but I found it at least an example of "small world"

The parents of Wilhelmina Tobine were Wilhelm Thomsen and Berte Berthosdatter (some different spellings of this name)

Baptism of Wilhelm Thomsen

Wilhelm Thomasen
in the Norway Births and Christenings, 1600s-1800s
Name: Wilhelm Thomasen
Birth Date: 23 apr 1836
Christening Date: 22 mai 1836 (22 May 1836)
Christening Place: Mandal, Vest-Agder, Norway
Father: Willum Thomasen
Mother: Marie Pedersdr

According to a tree on Ancestry.com William Thomsen and Marie Petersdatter also had a daughter who died in Valley City, Barnes, North dakota.

Athalia Holbeck Thomasdtr
BIRTH 22 OCTOBER 1832 • Mandel, Norway
DEATH 24 MAY 1886 • Valley City, Barnes, North Dakota, USA

Athalia married Thorn Silius Petersen

Athalia died in North Dakota and Thorn Petersen died in Minneapolis.

Athalia Petterson
in the U.S., Find A Grave Index, 1600s-Current
Name: Athalia Petterson
Birth Date: 22 Oct 1832
Death Date: 24 May 1886
Cemetery: Woodbine Cemetery
Burial or Cremation Place: Valley City, Barnes County, North Dakota, USA
Has Bio?: N

Edited by - AntonH on 08/04/2017 17:26:09
Go to Top of Page

tmlynch
Starting member

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2017 :  21:58:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jkmarler

North Dakota had a law on the books requiring birth certificates in 1893 but people were not compliant, so there may or may not be an actual civil record of her birth.

If they were Lutheran, it would more likely for there to be a baptism than a civil record. But since he was listed as a Rev in Wilhelmine's obit, and he was not in Norske Lutherske Prester i Amerika, maybe they are some other persuasion than Lutheran.

I wonder if Orville's family might know when and where he was baptized, since he was born in Valley City, so a search could be made in that church's records.

I did look into the Quam funeral home records index today at the genealogical library but did not find A.M. Olson.

I did search in the baptisms of Vigten for any Adolf Olsen b 1866-1868 and found none. Also looked into confirmations 1882-1887 for any Adolf Olson and found none. So it appears he may have come from someplace else.

I also checked for a baptism in Vigten 1885-1887 for the baby Adolf or Wolf and did not find him. His age varies a bit, the old version has him as 1 month old and the new version of the database is, if my memory hasn't failed, as 10 months old. If he is only a month they may not have baptized him. There are more Antons than Adolfs in the Vigten records I read and it also appears that Anton was more common than Adolf as a name amongst Norwegians over here.

There is pretty good coverage of the Thief River Falls and Crookston papers in the old fulton history site and there was one very truncated article in which a Hulda Olson was mentioned that had received a visit from her brother in North Dakota, in the 19teens but no name nor other information. And strangely in the 1900 census there were not so many Hulda of any last name born in North Dakota about 1892 but there were many more of Hulda b ND abt 1892 in the 1940 census than there were in 1900, go figure.

So perhaps you might let us in on more information about Hulda herself to see if we can find any small thing, forgotten, that might help with the search to find her parents. Since Anton Ronne and Lorentse Ronne are a Hulda Olson's grandparents for certain, perhaps you might want to spring for an estate probate record search in King county Washington to see if he had wealth to be divided in which his heirs might be mentioned. A search at genealogybank in the Seattle paper didnot find a death record or obit of Anton Ronne / Rynne. Likewise unsuccessful with a full obit for John Gade in 1929, there was only a death notice. There apparently were some connections between the Minnesota and Washington Ronne families as late as 1921, since Mrs. Annie K Ronne of Crookston, Minnesota announced the engagement and forthcoming marriage of her daughter Selma Laurine, and then in social notes article about the marriage ceremony after the marriage had been performed.

It must have been a very sad thing when so many of Anton's children died before him. But it also leads to a dropping of the cultural ball between generations, memories get lost so easily.

I agree with you Jackie, it must have been very sad for Anton that he outlived many of his children. I too, lost my oldest son in 2009 and I miss him very much.

I know very little about my paternal grandparents. My grandfather, William Moses Lynch died in 1951 before I was born and my grandmother, Hulda Marie Olson died in 1954 just after I turned 2 years old. Save for a vague memory of my mom telling me I was part Norwegian, I would never have guessed that. Of course, researching the various censuses, I know for certain Hulda's parents came from Norway. For Hulda's death certificate, my dad was able to provide the Hulda's father's name, Olson, but had no idea about the mother's maiden name, which was discovered to be Ronne/Rynne. This is why I have the notion on of Anton Ronne's daughters must be Hulda's mother.

Here is what I know about Hulda:
* Born 13 Sept 1892 in Valley City ND (this was provided by my dad for Hulda's death certificate)
* 1895 lived in Badger Township, Polk County, MN as Hulda Ronne with Anton Ronne
* 1900 Lived in Emardville & Gervais Townships, Red Lake County, MN as Hulda Olson, granddaughter of Anton Rynne
* 1905 Lived in Thief Lake, Marshall County, Mn as Hulda Rynne Living with Anton Rynne
* 1910 Lived in Minneapolis, Hennepin County, MN as Hulda Olson, servant to Johnson household
* 7 Oct 1916 married William Moses Lynch in Sioux Falls, Minnehaha County, SD
* 5 Dec 1917 birth of first son William Michael Lynch in Minneapolis, Hennepin County, MN
* 4 Apr 1919 birth of second son James Joseph Lynch in Minneapolis, Hennepin County MN
* 1920 Lived in Minneapolis, Hennepin County, MN
* 26 Aug 1923 birth of third son Donald Thomas Lynch (my dad) in Minneapolis, Hennepin County, MN
* 1930 Lived in Minneapolis, Hennepin County, mn
* 1935 Lived in Duluth, St Louis County, MN
* 1940 Lived in Duluth, St Louis County, MN
* 22 Feb 1951 death of husband William Moses Lynch in Hibbing, St Louis County, MN
* 27 Sept 1954 death of Hulda Marie Lynch in Duluth, St Louis County, MN

This may be a coincidence but the brief article in the Thief River Falls Press mentions Hulda Olson is a telephone operator. My grandfather also worked for the "Telephone Company" in Sioux Falls, SD. Perhaps the "Telephone Company" brought them together.

So, I have not been able to place Adolf Olsen in Valley City. How were you able to do so? Are you able to put Anna Olsen in Valley City, too?
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 08/04/2017 :  23:17:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Athalia Holbeck Thomasdtr
BIRTH 22 OCTOBER 1832 • Mandel, Norway
DEATH 24 MAY 1886 • Valley City, Barnes, North Dakota, USA

Athalia married Thorn Silius Petersen

In the marriage record it says she was born at Malmø, the bapt. record says she was born Oct 22 1831, see #5.
Her parents were Willum Thommesen and Tandrea Marte Pedersdatter, Malmøe.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 09/04/2017 12:00:46
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2017 :  00:12:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a long shot, lots of flakiness here, a marriage of an Arthur M. Oslo (indexed as Olson but the record says Oslo), son of Anton Olson and Anne Ronne, born in North Dakota about 1887, marrying in 1917 in Plentywood, Montana. Mabel's birthdate / age is mythic, she was actually born about 1875 in Minnesota:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:F37B-8JS

Here is Arthur Oslo in 1910 living in Cooperstown aged 20 b Minnesota
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MLGR-1Z2

Here is the Valley City weekly Times-Record quoting theCooperstown Courier that a large group of Cooperstown people made a trip to Valley City to hear a performance by Schumann -Heink in 1912. Arthur Oslo is on the list:
http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lccn/sn89074274/1912-10-17/ed-1/seq-12/#date1=1789&index=0&rows=20&words=Arthur+Oslo&searchType=basic&sequence=0&state=North+Dakota&date2=1924&proxtext=arthur+oslo&y=10&x=11&dateFilterType=yearRange&page=1

Arthur Milton Oslo WWI draft reg card says birthplace is Fargo and birth date 13 Sept 1887:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:K8QV-4XB

Another WWI draft reg for Arthur Milton Oslo, no birthplace but birthdate 13 Sept 1886:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:K687-7V5

1915 in Ward county, North Dakota:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QVR9-6N3C

As Arthur N. Oslo in 1930 census age 40 born New York, parents born Scotland:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XCJ4-7CT

Arthur M. Oslo d 1931 California:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QKS9-8FH3

A sad story here. His wife Mabel died of acute alcoholism and poisoned alcohol (one of 11 deaths attributed to poisoned alcohol in early 1931) and then a few months later he committed suicide. He left a 5 page note addressed to the coroner who examined his wife's body. No survivors listed. In the various newspapers describing the event, Arthur is described as the owner of the Oaks gallery and an art dealer. In the newspaper account of his death he is listed as age 44. In the WWI cards he is described as a photographer.

HeritageQuest city directory service has Arthur M Oslo in various locations:
1918 Billings Montana rooming at124 Broadway and Mrs. Mabel Oslo working as a photographer for Eklund studio and rooming at 118 Broadway

1924 Portland Oregon Arthur working as salesman for E. Waldschmidt, living at 522 E Ankeny

1926 Modesto California in a business listing A.M. Oslo photographer in Oakdale

Mabel Odell's 1st marriage from MOMS
TODD MF-588
08/08/1903
HART, E G
ODELL, MABEL

A.M. Oslo's burial is in Billion Graves. Birthyear given as 1891:
https://billiongraves.com/grave/A-M-Oslo/6561491#/

Mistranscribed as Oslow here is Maybelle's stone, too:
https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GSln=oslo&GSiman=1&GScid=7907&GRid=54808816&

I think Arthur Olson = Arthur Milton Oslo.

Edited by - jkmarler on 11/04/2017 01:26:45
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2017 :  00:16:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tmlynch

[
So, I have not been able to place Adolf Olsen in Valley City. How were you able to do so? Are you able to put Anna Olsen in Valley City, too?

The oldest son of Adolf and Wilhelmine, named Orville Gerald Olson listed Valley City as his birth place, I think, in the WWI draft reg cards.
They were married in Barnes county (of which Valley City is the county seat). For certain you are born where your mother was, but father might be very close as well.

Here are the details on an Anton Olson in 1891 1st paper naturalization record in Barnes county:
Olson Anton Norway 1st
August 7, 1891
Barnes D-3 031

Not sure if this is your guy or not, since there are a number with that name, you'd have to spend $5 to find out details. First papers from that era tell the country whose rule the person is giving up and usually the name of the port of entry to US and usually month and year of arrival. Usually, but there are always exceptions.

Edited by - jkmarler on 10/04/2017 14:01:14
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9141 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2017 :  02:35:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The family Thorn Petersen and wife Athalia emigrated from Norway in 1880 along with four children.

Link
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2017 :  02:57:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's links to some of State Historical Society of North Dakota's newspaper holdings:

Cooperstown: http://www.history.nd.gov/archives/cities/cooperstown.html

Valley City (unfortunately it appears that May-Dec 1892 is missing and not filmed):
http://www.history.nd.gov/archives/cities/valleycity.html

I think the state still honors Interlibrary Loan requests. It might valuable to find an obit for Adolf Olson b 1886 Norway and Anton M Olson who are known/suspected to be dead between 1900-1910 and are likely to be mentioned in the Cooperstown paper.

So go to your local public library, get a card if you don't already have one, and make an ILL request through them. The fee for use of the films is small but you will be making an investment of your time reading the news on the film reader looking for mentions. The hope would be that Hulda might be mentioned as a survivor.

Mae W. Olson was the youngest of Anton's and Wilhelmine's children. She was born 30 January 1904, so the last time Anton can be reasonably assumed to be alive is 9 months before that date. For Adolph, however, you'd have to assume any time after the census was taken, so would be a wider search. Also some issues of the Cooperstown Courier are available for research at Chronicling America.

Here's what Chroncling America has on the Cooperstown paper:
North Dakota Cooperstown courier.
Cooperstown, Griggs Co., Dak. [N.D.], 1883-1884
102 (number of issues included)
1883-01-26 to 1884-12-26 (these are the actual dates in C.A.)

North Dakota The Cooperstown courier.
Cooperstown, Griggs Co., N.D., 1902-1913
190 (number of issues)
1902-05-22 to 1906-01-04 (actual dates in C.A.)

Edited by - jkmarler on 10/04/2017 14:01:56
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2017 :  09:03:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sea captain Thorn Petersen and Amalia also had the children:
Vilhelm Maurits in 1860,
Peter Gabriel in 1863 (died before 1866),
Thomalie Marie in 1864,
Thorn Silius in 1865 (died before 1867)
Peter Gabriel in 1866,
Thorn Silius in 1867.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 09/04/2017 12:01:57
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2017 :  15:18:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If all goes well, these should be links to the first page of the geographically arranged section of the book Norske Lutherske Menigheter I Amerika (Norwegian Lutheran Congregations in America) for Barnes and Griggs counties, North Dakota. There are a number of churches whose beginning dates should allow for the family actions in the early 1890s and later. Supposedly the pastoral acts performed for each of these congregations have been microfilmed by the ELCA and then in turn digitized and made available for search for pay at Archives.com and through Ancestry.com. The databases are also available for search in Ancestry Library edition.

Barnes county
https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=hvd.ah5xbe;view=1up;seq=45

Griggs county
https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=hvd.ah5xbe;view=1up;seq=91

A question for you, is there a Social Security Number on Hulda's death certificate? If so, you can order a copy of her application the SS5, which would have been filled out by her and sometimes parents' names are included in the information. (Only people for whom the $250 death benefit is claimed are in the SSDI, so it's possible to have a SSN and have died without being found in the online lists of SSDI.)

Edited by - jkmarler on 09/04/2017 15:42:10
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article