All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 PASSENGER LISTS AND EMIGRANTS
 Hunting Passenger Lists
 Beitstadfjord: Drowned: Jan 1856 - Knudt Johnsen
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jen
Starting member

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2017 :  08:30:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking for any information about Knudt Johnsen/Jonsen died: Jan 5 1856; he was 36 years old living on Ostre Hustad.and Johannes Olesen was 24 years old and was living at the farm Hustad. ( are they related ?) died on the fjord since the boat was too heavily loaded.
I was told that his father was also on the boat.....His name was Johan Amundsen....according to his parents marriage record;...... his mom was Anne Thoresdatter and his father was Johan Amundsen......married 22 April 1812 Sor Fron, Oppland, Norway.
But recently was told that the father might have used the name of Stokkee or Jonsen......
How would I find the name of the people who died on the boat.
Anne imig to the U.S. abt 1859.
So I assume that her husband died before 1859.
Would like to find when father died.........did he die at sea and no body was recovered......but be a record. Thanks Jen in northern Wis

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2017 :  13:53:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just curious, what is the source for the information you have so far?

What about Anne who came to America, do you have any details on her life here?

Looks like you've been working this furrow for a long time, another topic at norwayheritage:
http://www.norwayheritage.com/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4724&whichpage=2

and another:
http://www.norwayheritage.com/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4725

and another:
http://www.norwayheritage.com/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4725

Here is the address for the page that shows about the deaths on the boat that Einar posted in 2010:
SAT, Ministerialprotokoller, klokkerbøker og fødselsregistre - Nord-Trøndelag, 730/L0283: Ministerialbok nr. 730A08, 1855-1865, s. 302
Brukslenke for sidevisning: https://media.digitalarkivet.no/kb20050509010659

It looks like there are dittos on numbers 5-13 on that page, duplicating what's on #3 and #4.

Edited by - jkmarler on 26/04/2017 16:23:39
Go to Top of Page

jen
Starting member

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2017 :  17:53:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes; I posted years ago for information on this family; I have that info that Anna and her family came to the U.S....
But was told that Knut Jonsen and other of his relatives; including his father drowned at sea....I was trying to find out who; and if his father was among them,. was told that the name Stokke was associated with him, as I can find his marriage lic,. but no death record, so I thought he might have used the name Amudsen, (when he married - and when his children were baptized), he also used the name Jonsen),. and was told Stokke (according to relatives who imig - in relating that info to family members....passed down),. but can find no records,. I assume he died before his wife Anna imig to the U.S.
Thought that maybe there were ship records or a newspaper account. I see that you mentioned the post that mentioned the boat names; but I thought it mentioned Knut & Olesen; no others,. So I was looking for all of the names that drowned that day; thinking I could make a connection to others,. I will recheck that site;. Thanks Jen
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2017 :  13:18:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perhaps the other family members died in the water at other times than 1856? Of no. 5-13 they all have different dates of death, even though there's dittos on the cause of death....

So the Anna mentioned in your first post this topic is a different Anna than the Anna Brustad who died in Washington in 1936?
Go to Top of Page

jen
Starting member

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2017 :  17:52:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello; Anna Thoresdatter is mother who imig in 1859.....(I have that info, along with her son John) and the other Anna is her daughter; Anna Jonetta Jonsen Stokkee - Stuky.....Thanks for the info on her daughter......Yes both mother and daughter lived to be about 100.....along with a few other relatives.

Anna Thoredatter husband is who I'm looking for; death record or any information on Anna or Joen parents; ....Since Anna imig in 1859, I assume her husband died before that date.....or he died after 1856.....from complications from the boat accident. See other posting....Thanks Jen in northern Wis.
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9211 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2017 :  17:53:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This must be the John Amudsen and Anne Thoresdatter the OP is referring to. Married on April 22, engaged on April 1, 1812. Left Page

Link
Go to Top of Page

jen
Starting member

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2017 :  18:04:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes.......
I posted a few years ago and found some great info on family; I've posted over the past several years on ancestry; and shared my information. ...But I was always looking for Knudt Jonsen father who was Joen/Johan Amundsen; the other day some one contacted me and said his last name was Stokke, so that got me thinking of his children had last names; because of were they lived ( took on the farm name).....maybe I could find info on Johan and Anne.....
So I posted here......any information on family or guidance would be great.......are they any books associated with farm names.....since they did not own the farm, but just worked on them. Thanks again Jenny
p.s. genealogy is usually my winter project and I've been working on the German side of the family and found out they are not Germans but from Switzerland,. so could these relatives that I'm looking for be Swedish v.s Norwegians, as some of the children married Swedes.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article