All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 MISCELLANEOUS
 General misc...
 Immigration through Quebec to the United States
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Karen Swensson
Starting member

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2017 :  04:09:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My great grandfather, his wife, and infant daughter landed in Quebec from the Anna Delius on June 7, 1866, en route to Wisconsin. Were there procedures in place to register their entry into Canada, and did they then need documentation to enter the USA? What means of land transportation would they have used? I'm trying to trace their journey from Quebec to Wisconsin.

amyanderson75

USA
69 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2017 :  05:46:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My family came the same route in 1873. What info do you have on them? Names, dob, etc.

Amy A.
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2017 :  12:12:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
An article on this website you need to read -
http://www.norwayheritage.com/canadian-passenger-records.htm
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2017 :  15:09:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also on this site is an actual passenger travel story about the Anna Delius in 1867 and bit after on the land:

http://www.norwayheritage.com/p_ship.asp?sh=annad

You may want to find others who were on the same voyage of the Anna Delius as your ancestors to find if they had preserved any on the sea and after journey stories.
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2017 :  18:27:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The most likely means of travel from Quebec to Wisconsin in 1866 was by train. The emigrants had in most cases bought a ticket to their final destination from the norwegian agent, which included steamer, railroad, ferries etc.

This article; Concerning Emigration?, was posted in the Norwegian "Billed-Magazin" in spring 1869.
It decribes several routes to the west, and how to cross Lake Michigan. The magazine was published in Madison, Wisconsin, and many subscribers send it home to friends and relatives in Norway.

The Grand Trunk line between Quebec and Toronto opened i 1856, and 3 years later you could get to Sarnia/Port Huron, and from there to Detroit.
So from 1859, almost all emigrants who went through Quebec and were headed for the Midwest, went by train. The Grand Trunk line had close to a Monopoly on that transportation.

Midwest

The railroad trip was a new and exiting adventure for the emigrants. Many had never seen a train before.
But the railroad company also knew to take advantage of the passengers. Often they used dirty cattle waggons containing only some planks and a barrell of water, and the emigrants were stowed in for a journey that could last for several days.

For those emigrants who's destination was Milwaukee, the most convenient was to change train in Detroit, and go to Grand Haven, MI,
From there they could go by steamer across Lake Michigan to Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Those who settled in Wisconsin, Minnesota, or northern Iowa usually choosed the Milwaukee route as the most convenient.

Below is a railroad map from 1887. Note that some of these tracks might not have existed in 1866.

Click to enlarge
Go to Top of Page

Karen Swensson
Starting member

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2017 :  16:50:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by amyanderson75

My family came the same route in 1873. What info do you have on them? Names, dob, etc.

Numbers 123-125 on the 1866 Anna Delius passenger list: Chr Hansen Aamathilla (Christian Hanson) born 8 Jun 1835, Helene Hansdatter born 10 Oct 1842, Marie Christiansdatter born 3 Dec 1865...from Land parish, Torpa, Upland.
Go to Top of Page

Ray Syverson

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2017 :  17:09:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My 2nd grt grandfather also came over on the Anna Delius, and on this same voyage. For some reason he traveled using his brother's name, Marthinus Skartlien. He was from the Skartlien farm in Nordre Land, Oppland. I think he went to Black Earth, Wisconsin first, and afterwards moved down to Chicago. His name was Andreas Syversen Skartlien, and was born July 17th, 1835, so same age as Christopher Hanson. I wonder if they knew each other? Karen, was Aamathilla a farm name?
Go to Top of Page

Ray Syverson

USA
31 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2017 :  21:32:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My Andreas Syversen was in the same confirmation group as Christian Hansen at Aamodt Church in 1850, so I am sure they knew each other. I think what Karen has as "Aamathilla" is really Aamodt, or possibly a sub farm of Aamodt.
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2017 :  23:16:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Christian Hansen carried the Aamodt farm name in the marriage record.

And the parents used the Aamodt name on Christians baptism record

Edited by - AntonH on 11/05/2017 23:30:47
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2017 :  14:22:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anna Delius passenger list
http://www.norwayheritage.com/p_list.asp?jo=110

The farm name "Aamathilla" is transcribed here as
Aamothlia. Close to Aamodt, given poor handwriting in the original, and irregular spelling.

Karen, is this your source for the farm name? Is it your only source? What sources are you using for that name?

Edited by - JaneC on 15/05/2017 01:04:54
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2017 :  16:00:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So basically address was the li on Aamoth.
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2017 :  13:19:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As I understand it, the place name would refer to a subdivision of the larger farm Aamodt. The suffix li / lie / lien means hillside, so, a subfarm of Aamodt, located on a hill.
Go to Top of Page

Karen Swensson
Starting member

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2017 :  22:55:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used the names as they were listed on the Anna Delius passenger list. My great grandfather Kristian (Christian) Hanson (1835-1906) was the eldest child of Hans Kjellsen Bjørnsrud and Marte Hansdater Lystne (Torpa B bygdebok page 229). He and his family lived in a husmann's cottage built in 1723 on the Skredderstuen farm. The cottage, pictured on page 199 of the bygdebok, is still standing.
Go to Top of Page

Karen Swensson
Starting member

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2017 :  23:01:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mange takk for sending the marriage and baptism records!
Go to Top of Page

Karen Swensson
Starting member

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2017 :  23:55:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm still learning how to navigate this forum website! My great grandfather lived on the Skredderstuen farm, in a husmann's cottage (built in 1723 and still standing but in need of repair) not far from the Aamot church. He traveled from Quebec to Rock County, WI where he stayed until 1868 or 69, and then moved to Richland County, WI where he died in 1906. I don't know anything about his trip from Quebec to Wisconsin, or anything about his friends in Rock County, but he certainly could have known your 2nd get grandfather on the ship.
Go to Top of Page

Karen Swensson
Starting member

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2017 :  23:58:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jwiborg

The most likely means of travel from Quebec to Wisconsin in 1866 was by train. The emigrants had in most cases bought a ticket to their final destination from the norwegian agent, which included steamer, railroad, ferries etc.

This article; Concerning Emigration?, was posted in the Norwegian "Billed-Magazin" in spring 1869.
It decribes several routes to the west, and how to cross Lake Michigan. The magazine was published in Madison, Wisconsin, and many subscribers send it home to friends and relatives in Norway.

The Grand Trunk line between Quebec and Toronto opened i 1856, and 3 years later you could get to Sarnia/Port Huron, and from there to Detroit.
So from 1859, almost all emigrants who went through Quebec and were headed for the Midwest, went by train. The Grand Trunk line had close to a Monopoly on that transportation.

Midwest

The railroad trip was a new and exiting adventure for the emigrants. Many had never seen a train before.
But the railroad company also knew to take advantage of the passengers. Often they used dirty cattle waggons containing only some planks and a barrell of water, and the emigrants were stowed in for a journey that could last for several days.

For those emigrants who's destination was Milwaukee, the most convenient was to change train in Detroit, and go to Grand Haven, MI,
From there they could go by steamer across Lake Michigan to Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Those who settled in Wisconsin, Minnesota, or northern Iowa usually choosed the Milwaukee route as the most convenient.

Below is a railroad map from 1887. Note that some of these tracks might not have existed in 1866.

Click to enlarge

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article