All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Total Fail
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

aethos
Medium member

USA
92 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2017 :  17:19:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This one should have been easy but here I am again. :P So question... can someone perhaps tell me was "Osgjort" or something like that means?

https://media.digitalarkivet.no/view/3974/72056/46

I'm trying to find Anna Opsahl (mother's name is Halvorsdatter) b 29 July 1887 in Nes at Delbekk. She should be right there but for some reason the church book only has two people born in July. I'm guessing... only guessing, that "Osgjort" or "Opsjort" or whatever that says means something about where everyone else is... :P

Ugh. Thanks!

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2017 :  21:07:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Make no sense, Opgjort means settled.

Kċre
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2017 :  23:24:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you sure you have the "right" Nes?
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2017 :  23:30:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She was born in Nes in Akershus County
Born July 29, bapt Sept 18. Anna Gurine, parents; Hmd. Abbr for Husmand - Cottager Sigvart Olsen and Elen Indiane Halvorsdatter, see down page #56
Parents recidence; Opsaleie, Delbekk.

Delbekk was a sub farm under Opsal

Kċre

Edited by - Kċarto on 21/07/2017 00:06:31
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2017 :  23:50:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nes Church build 1860 link

The baptism font in soap stone is from ca 1100. The old stone church from ca 1100 burned 1854

Kċre
Go to Top of Page

aethos
Medium member

USA
92 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2017 :  00:26:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh dear. This is like the time I tried to find the ancestor in Portage Township, Ohio. There are in fact, something like 6 Portage Townships. Sorry I had no idea there were so many Nes's and didn't think to check that. Thanks for also helping me find the correct record. I'm really working on building this skill.

It was about 1913 that Annie left Norway, possibly by herself. By 1915 she was in Minnesota and living with a family as a house keeper. Quite a bold move for a 26 year old woman. This is another brick wall that was broken down by DNA testing BTW! On my wife's side where her father didn't know his father. She's been high on my list of ancestors I wanted to find out more about. I'm hoping the relative I'm in contact with now but she some light on her as she was his great-aunt. Pretty exciting!

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2017 :  01:49:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well no wonder you couldn't find her as you were looking in the Nes in Hallingdal in Buskerud registers.

This is one thing that I don't like with all the new iterations of the parish register documentation at digitalarkivet. It isn't made clear where the parish is located in any of the copying mechanisms.
Go to Top of Page

aethos
Medium member

USA
92 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2017 :  06:56:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm getting there! Found their daughter Maren. So in the vein of teaching a man to fish, can someone perhaps help me with the text on line 13 here, which appears to be their marriage?
http://urn.digitalarkivet.no/URN:NBN:no-a1450-kb20060926060591.jpg

I know this is Sigvart Olsen [something] [something] and pige Elen Indiane Halvorsdatter and their years of birth, but not sure of what's between those in the middle column?

Also I'm curious, typically you guys find these records and pull out the key details, but there are always the long lists of names/text on the right page. Are those witnesses? Or other family members? Just doodles in the binding? Inquiring minds want to know! (Please.)

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2017 :  08:49:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by aethos

I'm getting there! Found their daughter Maren. So in the vein of teaching a man to fish, can someone perhaps help me with the text on line 13 here, which appears to be their marriage?
http://urn.digitalarkivet.no/URN:NBN:no-a1450-kb20060926060591.jpg

I know this is Sigvart Olsen [something] [something] and pige Elen Indiane Halvorsdatter and their years of birth, but not sure of what's between those in the middle column?

Also I'm curious, typically you guys find these records and pull out the key details, but there are always the long lists of names/text on the right page. Are those witnesses? Or other family members? Just doodles in the binding? Inquiring minds want to know! (Please.)

Thanks!

Sigvart Olsen something something is enkemand (widower), husmand (cotter)

The column between their names and birth years is the grooms birth place and residence and the bride's birth place. The other names to the right of that information but on the left hand page are the names of the bride's and groom's father. On the right hand page the two names are the bondsmen and likely witnesses although not absolutely necessary to be.

Edited by - jkmarler on 21/07/2017 08:51:35
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2017 :  08:57:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sigvart Olsen enkemand (widower) Husmand(cottager) - - - -
The middle column tells their pace of birth (Opsaleje and Grenseje)
Names in the 6 and 7 column are name of gooms father (Ole Gudbrandsen) and name of brides father (Halvor Nilsen)

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 21/07/2017 09:00:02
Go to Top of Page

aethos
Medium member

USA
92 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2017 :  17:54:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So this is clearly then the best way to keep searching for them is to make sure to get those details, but then I'm left with another question, so forgive me as I try your collective patience. Opsaleje... I'm assuming this is where Annie got Opsahl as her name. Annie from Opsal but, Osaleje? Grenseje? Opsaleie as Kare said? Would I be looking for places called Opsal and Grens? And would those be farms, bruks, parishes, municipalities... I tried the property search on digitalarkivit but mostly found more questions.

I'm starting down a rat-hole now but I'm really trying to understand this. As I google and read more, is this correct:
Country->Region->County->District->Municipality->Village/Bruk->Subfarm/Husmand?
Norway->Ĝstlandet->Akershus->Romerike->Nes->Opsaleie/Opsaleje?->Delbekk

And therefore Grenseje (or maybe Gresneie?) was another village in Nes? (And I assume if it wasn't in Nes, they'd give the full information on the county/municipality/etc?
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2017 :  18:35:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Elen Indiane was born on July 4, 1851. Her parents were Halvor Nilsen and Martine Drothea Jakobsdatter.

Based on that this is likely the marriage of her parents from Ancestry.com

Halvor Nilsen
in the Norway, Select Marriages, 1660-1926
Name: Halvor Nilsen
Birth Date: 1824
Marriage Date: 3 jan 1848
Marriage Place: Nes, Akershus, Norway
Father: Nils Hansen
Spouse: Martine Dorthea Jacobsdatter
FHL Film Number: 278168

Original record

Looks like they also had a son named Arnt in 1856.

Some records on Ancestry.com indicate that Arnt emigrated to America and lived and died in Chicago.
Here is the family in the 1865 Census, no Elen Indiane living at home then.

They are living on the farm named Greni vestre Skoven

Perhaps Elen Indiane is working as a servant girl on another farm. My best guess is here under her Indiane Halvorsdatter name.

Link

Many of the names you see that look a little odd are farm names or sub farms under the main farm. The spelling of the farm names does change a little over time and thus makes it hard to follow at times. Here is a link to a Family Search page for Nes Akershus. You can scroll down and see a list of farm names. The list includes Opsal, Greni Vestre and Fosserud.

Link

The farms are located in what was in the olden days a parish i.e. Nes, now Nes is called a municipality and both were, are located in the fylke (county) of Askerhus. The name Romerike which pops up from time to time refers back to the old concept of districts. Many of them have historical significance to Norway even tho they may not figure in the official governmental structure of modern Norway.

Wikipedia can be a good source to understand the structure of sub-farm, farm, sub-parish, parish and county for Norway.

Edited by - AntonH on 21/07/2017 22:48:33
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2017 :  23:51:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mother of Elen Indiane was named Martine Dorthea Jakobsdatter and was born Dec 9, 1825 to Jakob Mortensen and Alis Halvorsdatter. Baptism on Jan 26, 1826.

Number 5 right hand page

Ancestry records indicate the couple married in 1809

Jacob Martensen
in the Norway, Select Marriages, 1660-1926
Name: Jacob Martensen
Marriage Date: 21 okt 1809 (21 Oct 1809)
Marriage Place: , Nes, Akershus, Norway
Spouse: Alis Halvorsdr
FHL Film Number: 123328

Original record right hand page near bottom See Oct 21

Link

Edited by - AntonH on 22/07/2017 00:08:17
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2017 :  00:20:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Father of Elen Indiane was Halvor Nielsen. This is likely his record from Ancestry.com

Halvor Nilsen
in the Norway, Select Baptisms, 1634-1927
Name: Halvor Nilsen
Birth Date: 11 aug 1823
Baptism Date: 31 aug 1823
Baptism Place: Nes, Akershus, Norway
Father: Niels Hansen
Mother: Ane Haagensdr
FHL Film Number: 123330

Origianl record

Niels Hansen and Ane Haagensdatter in 1865 Norway Census

Edited by - AntonH on 22/07/2017 00:32:35
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article