All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Confirming Translation
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

aethos
Medium member

USA
92 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2017 :  20:26:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey all, I'm looking at this kirkeboker for Leikanger, Sogn og Fjordane, line 4 for 1857 at this link:

I believe this says his father Johan is from Vesterberg (farm name?) and his wife is from Borlaug? And her father's naem is Johannes Olsen?

Also might anyone be able to tell me who Nils and Johannes listed in the next column might be? Are they witnesses? They're clearly related to her I would think, given the names and same farm name?

Thanks as always!

Edited by - aethos on 01/09/2017 20:28:34

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2017 :  23:04:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Forlovernes roughly translated means The Sponsers. From online dictionary

forlovere marriage witnesses, sponsors or cautionister (best men) who served as witnesses to the fact that the bride and groom were not so closely related as to prohibit the marriage.

Link

Probably Johannes Olsen and his big family in the 1865 Census on the Borlaug farm.

The other witness is likely his brother Nils Olsen born abt 1807 and on Borlaug Indre in 1865 Census.

Edited by - AntonH on 01/09/2017 23:13:26
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2017 :  23:26:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Johan Vestebeg seems a little harder to follow but this could be the baptism record for the son Johan Johannes Vesterberg.

Johan Johannisen Vesterberg
in the Norway, Select Baptisms, 1634-1927
Name: Johan Johannisen Vesterberg
Baptism Date: 20 jan 1833
Baptism Place: Hamre,Hordaland,Norway
Father: Johan Vesterberg
Mother: Engel Hansdr
FHL Film Number: 124518

However the only Vesterberg farm I could find is in Aure, More og Romsdal.

According to the original record he was born out of wedlock on Jan 15, 1833. Also this baptism record indicates he was born in Hamre which matches the data from the marriage record you posted.

Edited by - AntonH on 02/09/2017 01:47:27
Go to Top of Page

aethos
Medium member

USA
92 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2017 :  21:07:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very interesting find! I had found the Aure farm called Vesterberg as well but didn't have enough to run with it.

I know there was a huge stigma in Norway around children born out of wedlock or who were abandoned but was this a common practice where the kids would stop using their father's name as their surname? Seems strange that Johan Vesterberg had Johan Johanissen Vesterberg out of wedlock who in turn later married under the name Johan Vesterberg! But there's always a surprise around every corner.

Thanks for the assist!
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2017 :  00:00:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Johan Johansen Vesterberg was "Ungkarl og Soldat" Bachelor and Soldier when he married.

Vesterberg is written Westerberg today

Kċre
Go to Top of Page

aethos
Medium member

USA
92 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2017 :  05:06:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kare, is that what it says before his name in column 3 line 4 above? Ungkarl og Soldat? Or is that somewhere else?

I'm noticing the little U shape over the letter U a lot... is that just an indicator that the letter is in fact just a U? I ask as I haven't see that symbol on any other characters in really... any language!

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2017 :  13:28:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are right. Ungk. abbr. for Ungkarl Soldat (Soldier)

The short "line" above the letter U indikates its an U and not a double ll (LL)

Still used in handwriting in Norway.

Kċre

Edited by - Kċarto on 04/09/2017 13:31:45
Go to Top of Page

aethos
Medium member

USA
92 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2017 :  19:09:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting. Were their rolls kept of the soldiers that help genealogy like in the US with draft and pension papers?
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2017 :  23:23:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They are all recorded.
Volunteers are working to get records online, there more than 500000 of shelf meters kept in the archives from all periodes.

Kċre
Go to Top of Page

aethos
Medium member

USA
92 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2018 :  04:42:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey everyone! Wanted to revive this thread as I get a bit deeper into digital arkivet and its uses. Some of these records may also be new? Here I was looking for Johan Vesterberg who had a son, Johan around 1833. Johan Jr. married a woman down in Leikanger, 28 Apr 1857 named Kari Johannesdotter. Well I found a Vesterberg (Westerberg) in Nordheim and low and behold there is a Johan Henriksen who was born around 1798 in the 1801 census - just the perfect time to have a son named Johan:
https://www.digitalarkivet.no/en/census/rural-residence/bf01058467002411

I don't see Westerberg again until the census of 1865 though there's still a Henriksen living there with his wife and kids:
https://www.digitalarkivet.no/en/census/rural-residence/bf01038355002542

Anyone got any thoughts for me here? My next thing I guess would be to try to page through the scans of the 1815 and 1825 census though when I searched for Sĝmna and Brĝnnĝy things got a bit wonky. (My fault I'm sure.) Thanks as always for your help! You guys have been amazing.

Edited by - aethos on 10/08/2018 04:43:27
Go to Top of Page

aethos
Medium member

USA
92 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2018 :  21:00:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If I look at the 1825 and 1835 census it seems that only the number of people in each bruk were recorded. Is that correct?
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article