All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Help with a Norwegian surname
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2017 :  21:46:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The family in the 1865 Norwegian Census. Does include a Tomas.

Peder Torbjørnsen married Anne Marie Christoffersdatter on Dec 26, 1840. Fathers were Torbjørn Pedersen and Christofer Pedersen. Farm name is Øystad.

Probably the confirmation of Anne Marie Christophersdatter.
Father is Christopher Pedersen and mother is Anne Olsdatter. Record gives her birth date as Dec 11, 1818.

Probably her, see the last entry in the right hand page, a little difficult to read.

Edited by - AntonH on 03/11/2017 02:22:08
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2017 :  21:52:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It isn't always the fault of a census taker. You don't know who either came to the door of the home or who actually gave the information about the family. Some enumerations were even given by neighbors if the residents were not at home....
I like to think of a census taker knocking at the door and a harried housewife coming to the door with at least two small children hanging on her apron hem - perhaps crying. How difficult would it be to have a conversation?
Or the person who came to the door was an older child, perhaps an adolescent or teenager - how sure would they be of the year of Dad's birth or Mom's?

I have one family branch of my ancestors who were definitely "date challenged" and rarely got birthdays, emigration years or other vital dates consistently through their later lives.

Also there were persons who enjoyed misleading on such documents. I'm currently married to one that tries that every time we've been in a census, thinks it is funny. I make sure the silly misleading actually get corrected before submittal.
Go to Top of Page

Nettierud
Medium member

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2017 :  00:05:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes of course you are right Hopkins- I wrote too hastily.

Nettie
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2017 :  00:16:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well there is this Thomas Pederson in Trempealeau county marrying in 1873:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XRKR-CSV
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2017 :  00:24:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In a quick look, seems as if Thomas Peterson and Eliza Johnson had a daughter Juliana about 1874. In 1880 a widow Elizabeth Pederson (born about 1840) and little Juliana live with Elizabeth father Johannes Pederson (not Anderson...) of Sweden. Juliana marries Hans L Hammerstad 1893 and they stay in the area.

The Trempealeau county candidate Christian Pederson was born in Torpen, Norway, according to daughter Agnes birth record. So that fits the Norwegian candidate family:
link

Edited by - JaneC on 03/11/2017 00:33:15
Go to Top of Page

Nettierud
Medium member

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2017 :  00:37:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

So Wikipedia says that Torpen was a former municipality of Oppland that was part of Nordre Land- so that still keeps the candidate in the running right? I think that's the right Thomas as well- I think they call their mother by Mary because Mathea uses that in her marriage record as well and probably easier to call Peder Pederson than to try and spell Torbjornson.

Nettie
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2017 :  01:24:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jackie posted on page one

quote:
Mathea Pedersdatter # 3 in girls confirmations in 1855 birthdate appears to be 30 Apr 1840:
SAH, Land prestekontor, Parish register (official) no. 10, 1847-1859, p. 90
Quick link: https://media.digitalarkivet.no/en/kb20070206650432

I would read the date as 20 April 1841 If that is so I think that this his her baptism record. See number 69. The fathers last name is spelled differently than Torbjørnsen. More like Torgrimsen? Farm name is also Øystad same farm name as on the marriage record posted above. And the same farm name for Tomas, see record posted by Jackie on page one.

However by the time Christian and Aletta were born they were using the farm name Frøisland.

Edited by - AntonH on 03/11/2017 02:45:59
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2017 :  02:05:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From the Western Wisconsin Scandinavian Obituaries page:
HANS HAMMERSTAD (STANGE)
Funeral services were held Tuesday afternoon for Hans Hammerstad, 87 year old Hale township pioneer, who died at the Whitehall Community hospital at 4 a.m. on December 30 from the effects of the flu. He had been a patient at the institution about three weeks. The Rev. N.E. Halvorsen officiated at the last rites, which were held first at the home and later at the Hale Lutheran church. Ovid Berg of Osseo sang “Den Store Hvide Flok” and the choir sang “One Sweetly Solemn Thought” at the church. The pallbearers were the four sons of the deceased, Arthur Hammerstad and Ray Nelson, while the flowers were carried by Helen Nelson and Janice Olson. Mr. Hammerstad was born March 11, 1856 in Stange, Hedemarken, Norway, the son of Lars and Olive Hammerstad. When he was 20 years old, he came to this country, and five years later he sent for his parents and brother and sisters. He settled on the farm in Hale Township which continued to be home until his death. On November 8, 1893, he was joined in marriage to Julia Peterson, who survives him, together with four sons, Ludwig Hammerstad, at home; Helmer and Guy of Strum; and Selmer of Osseo. He also leaves two brothers, Ludwig Hammerstad of Whitehall and Andrew of Hale. A daughter, Mrs. Andrew Engevold, a sister, Mrs. Simon Freng, and a brother, Nels Hammerstad, preceded him in death. Mr. and Mrs. Hammerstad celebrated their golden wedding anniversary last fall. THE WHITEHALL TIMES - JANUARY 6, 1944
Go to Top of Page

Nettierud
Medium member

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2017 :  03:07:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for those latest contributions.

Nettie
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2017 :  10:46:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nettierud

So Wikipedia says that Torpen was a former municipality of Oppland that was part of Nordre Land- so that still keeps the candidate in the running right? I think that's the right Thomas as well- I think they call their mother by Mary because Mathea uses that in her marriage record as well and probably easier to call Peder Pederson than to try and spell Torbjornson.

Sometimes a Yankee is involved and since they inherit their surnames from their father if you say your name is "Peterson" they will assume that your father's was, too.

Who were the "subscribing witnesses" of Halvor's and Mathea's wedding?

Edited by - jkmarler on 03/11/2017 12:29:00
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2017 :  15:04:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Probably/ possibly the father of Mathea, Tomas, Christian:
https://www.digitalarkivet.no/view/255/pd00000009020301
Go to Top of Page

Nettierud
Medium member

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2017 :  15:05:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think they were just relatives of the Justice of the peace? He was JW McKay and the subscribing witnesses were Louisa McKay and Lewis Laugrie (having trouble reading the last name again).

Yes Halvor's name is written as Oliver too.

Nettie
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2017 :  16:43:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good find Jackie, I did look for the baptism record for Peder and did not find it in Land, Oppland so very likely you have the right man.

Here is the marriage record for Torbjørn Pedersen and Marta Iversdatter Nov 17, 1803 also in Hedmark. Farms looks like Anderqværn and Krogsgaard.

Link

Probably him in 1801 Census on Anderqværn. Born 1768, father is Peder Nielsen and mother is Karie Torbiørnsdatter.

And his confirmation in June of 1833, living on Løkkeqværn.

Father Peder Nielsen was a soldier when he married Kari Torbjørnsdatter on Oct 20, 1766 , farm names are Anderqværn and Wea.

Link

Original record right hand page

Link

Edited by - AntonH on 04/11/2017 22:45:53
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2017 :  16:59:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, there are dødfallsprotokol for Nordre Land posted online at the Arkivet for at least through 1876-1907, if someone knows when Mathea's parents died, we might be able to find if there is a mention of their children in America....
Go to Top of Page

Nettierud
Medium member

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2017 :  17:00:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's ironic to me because I have so many DNA matches that came from Ringsaker that I used to search the digital birth records for Mathea there. When you guys get on a roll you are terribly amazing.

Nettie
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article