All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Help with a Norwegian surname
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2017 :  17:14:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nettierud

I think they were just relatives of the Justice of the peace? He was JW McKay and the subscribing witnesses were Louisa McKay and Lewis Laugrie (having trouble reading the last name again).

Yes Halvor's name is written as Oliver too.

Sorry didn't realize those one's in the post were theirs. No luck there.
Go to Top of Page

Nettierud
Medium member

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2017 :  17:34:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found Anne Marie Kristoffersdr died Feb. 10, 1889 in Torpa, Nordre Land.....haven't found Peter yet.

Nettie
Go to Top of Page

Nettierud
Medium member

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2017 :  17:40:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Peter died 11/11 1893

Nettie
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2017 :  18:29:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Age is written kind of funny prob 75 but no notes of any kind except that she left nothing (bummer):
middle left hand page:
SAH, Hadeland og Land tingrett, J/Jg/L0006: Dødsfallsprotokoll, 1886-1896, p. 32-33
Quick link: https://media.digitalarkivet.no/en/sk10211205252019

Ditto for Peter lower right hand page:
SAH, Hadeland og Land tingrett, J/Jg/L0006: Dødsfallsprotokoll, 1886-1896, p. 112-113
Quick link: https://media.digitalarkivet.no/en/sk10211205252059
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2017 :  18:31:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nettierud

That's ironic to me because I have so many DNA matches that came from Ringsaker that I used to search the digital birth records for Mathea there. When you guys get on a roll you are terribly amazing.

When this happens, I usually say "the ancestors want to be found."

Now you can have the fun of figuring out the Ringsaker connections with the DNA connection.
Go to Top of Page

Nettierud
Medium member

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2017 :  19:11:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Indeed, this whole thing has been fun and a learning experience for me. Blessings to all.

Nettie
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2017 :  21:57:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More info then may interest you. Peder Torbjørnsen Andersqvæm left Ringsaker in 1838. He lists his destination as Christiania. Two years later he is married in Oppland. Right hand page

Other Info,

I think Jackie found the emigration of Martha Pedersdatter, who left in 1868 on the Emerald. See post on page one.

Here is her brother Tomas leaving in the same year on the same ship.

Link

He is found just above sister Mathea and given the same number 167 in the list that Jackie posted.

Another way to look at the list

Emigrants

Edited by - AntonH on 04/11/2017 00:55:00
Go to Top of Page

Nettierud
Medium member

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2017 :  23:52:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Lyndal.

Nettie
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2017 :  23:05:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So on page two I added a little more information on the ancestors of Peder Torbjørnsen. His father was Torbjørn Pedersen. The parents of Torbjørn Pedersen are Peder Nielsen and Kari Torbjørnsdattter. I added the marriage record for Peder Nielsen and Kari Torbjørnsdatter on Oct 20, 1766. In that record I noticed that one of the witnesses was a Joen Torbjørnsen. When I get this far back in time I start looking for a Family Tree on Geni.com that i can use to help guide my ancestral research. I usually like Geni.com as they have a huge number of Norwegian family trees and give contact information for the Tree manger.

Anyway I did find the parents of Kari Torbjørnsdatter and Joen Torbjørnsen and a Family Tree for them. Kari is listed but no husband and descendants are provided for her, however you may find the rest of the family interesting. As with any online Family Tree you need to also do your own determination of the validity of the data in the tree.

The father of the family is Thorbjørn Vernersen Vea. I would assume that the farm name given in the marriage document for Kari Thorbjørnsdatter and Peder Nielsen of Wea is just another spelling variation of the Vea listed in this tree.

Geni.com

I noticed that some of the dating in the Geni.com tree seem to be in error. Here is a second tree with more reasonable dating and also some sources. I start with the oldest know ancestor.

Link

Source seems to be

Gården Vea i Ringsaker og slekta der
Anton S Aas

The line ends at the same place in both trees for your family tree.

Kari Tree

Kari Torbjørnsdatter VeaPrint Family Tree(Kari Vea)
Born in 1737 - Vea søndre, Ringsaker, Hedmarken, Hedmark, Norge
Deceased in 1814 - Hedmark, Norge , age at death: 77 years old

Now some of the data is checkable using Digitalakivet. Here is a death record for Kari and seems to match well with the Tree.

Kari 1814

Original record from Digitalarkvet, right hand page

Also the baptism record for Kari is findable in 1737. It is the fourth record down on the right hand page. Father here is listed as Torbiørn Wee.

Link

Date seems to be Dom 3 p trin, which in 1737 was July 7.

Edited by - AntonH on 05/11/2017 17:29:18
Go to Top of Page

Nettierud
Medium member

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2017 :  04:42:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a lot there- very helpful. I haven't looked at the Geni trees much but I will now. It's nice to know the process that you use as well. Wow, a week ago I hadn't heard of the name Torbjorn and now my tree is full of them.

Nettie
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2017 :  17:19:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, yes, if you feel that the Marthea Pedersdatter born April 20, 1841 in Land, Oppland is the same as the Martha Peterson from Wisconsin, which I think is a correct assumption, then yes you have a Thorbjørn, or some spelling version of that name, going back to about 1600.

Speaking about Geni.com. I use Geni.com a lot but I am always aware even suspicious about what I find there. There are a lot of people who use the site and that is both its strength and weakness.

In your case I was concerned that while most of what I found there was correct there were enough errors to bother me. For example the birth year for the father Oluf Torbernsen Vea is the same as the son Verner Olufsen Vea, both given as 1658. That is a little sloppy for my tastes.

Also after I found the Tree belonging to Brynjulf Langballe I realized that there were probably two Kari Thorbjørndatters one born in 1735 and one born in 1737. Only the Brynjulf Langballe Tree had both of them. The Geni.com tree only has the first Kari. Further when I checked his dates with the original records for baptism and burial in Digitalarkvet for the second Kari I found the years spot on.

Also the use and reference to an actual written source for the Brynjulf Langballe Tree made me more comfortable with use of his data when we get back so far in time that it is difficult to check on line.

Edited by - AntonH on 05/11/2017 17:44:16
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2017 :  18:39:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As a further check on the Trees, I did find the death record for the first Kari in 1736.

Date is Dom 1 Trin, basically reads begraved barn fra Torbiørn Wee, Kari followed by three words I can not read and ends with døbt.

Look about the middle of the left hand page. Dom 1 Trin is June 3 in 1736.

Kari One

Edited by - AntonH on 05/11/2017 18:42:47
Go to Top of Page

Nettierud
Medium member

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2017 :  19:06:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amazing you found that.

Nettie
Go to Top of Page

Nettierud
Medium member

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2017 :  20:05:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found Peter Torbjornsen's mother Marthe Iversdatter's birth on Jan 19, 1777 to Iver Anderson Krogsgaard and Else? Chistensdr. This is the first time for trying to put in a link so I'm not certain it will work. Iver's name doesn't show up- I tracked him down through a son who was living at Krogsgaard in 1801.

https://media.digitalarkivet.no/en/view/9066/13

Nettie
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2017 :  20:51:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Link works perfectly. That was quite a find, I am not sure I would have recognized that if I had been searching for it.

As a side note, I noticed that in the record above the one you referenced for the birth of another Marthe parents are Ole Mickelsen and Kari Monsdatter that a Kari Thorbjørnsdatter is one of the witneses.

One thing I would mention about the Brynulf Langballe Tree is it is on a site called Geneanet. You might have to set up a user account for that site sooner or later. It is easy to set up but does call for an email address. I always use a special email address for all those various things one signs up for such as Best Buy or North Face where I know I will get a lot of not necessarily important email.

Edited by - AntonH on 06/11/2017 16:57:27
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article