All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Help with a Norwegian surname
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9200 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2017 :  16:47:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking for Marthe Iversdatter and her parents in the 1801 Census, I came up empty on the parents but the only candidate that fits for Marthe is found as a working girl on the Wea farm.

Go to Top of Page

Nettierud
Medium member

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2017 :  17:26:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That would seem to fit her age. Christopher her assumed brother was born in 1768 and in the census he has a much older sister living with his family (age 49). So I'm not sure if the parents were much older or at least the father was?

Nettie
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9200 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2017 :  17:31:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I am thinking that this is probably the Ivers second marriage.

Here is another way to look at the marriage record. It also does not know the fathers first name but does give a name Else Christiansdatter as the name for the mother. This is using the transcribed records on Digitalarkivet.

Link

I am thinking based on the farm name that this is likely his first marriage in 1744, however some more work probably needs to be done to confirm that.

Link

Iver seems to have served as a witness at a marriage in 1783.

Link

The reason I did not find him in the 1801 Census is that he died in 1790

Link

Edited by - AntonH on 06/11/2017 17:43:59
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9200 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2017 :  18:00:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The transcribed internet search function of Digitalrkivet is a fairly recent addition. I assume it is not nearly complete but it is proving in certain areas to be very valuable. Here is how I used it to find the above information.

Go to Link

Go up to the right hand corner and click on Bokmål and then click on English

Click on Advanced Person Search

Click on Category and go to Church Books Select All or whatever interests you

Click on Geography and Østland and Ringsaker

In the Individual column I used Iver Anders* and in the Domicile box I put in Krogsgaard ej*

I got 15 hits where he was mostly father i.e. far or witness i.e. fadder

You might find this search method helpful.

Most of the early children have as the mother Martha Pedersdatter but in 1768 he has a Christopher with Else Christiansdatter.

Link

I am not sure why the list does not include a marriage for him to Else but it probably happened before 1768.

Also many of the fadder for his children's baptism are either first name Torbjørn or last name Torbjørnsen or some variation of that name. So Vee or Wea family is closely tied to Krogstadd Ejer farm.

Edited by - AntonH on 06/11/2017 18:13:26
Go to Top of Page

Nettierud
Medium member

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2017 :  18:11:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's wonderful- thank you!

Nettie
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9200 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2017 :  22:57:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So Iver Andersen did marry Else Christiansdatter in 1767 but in Vang not in Ringsaker. About the year you would expect with the birth of son Christopher in 1768.

Link

Original record

Link

Edited by - AntonH on 07/11/2017 00:32:27
Go to Top of Page

Nettierud
Medium member

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2017 :  01:17:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh you found it- I'm going to have to go check it all out.

Nettie
Go to Top of Page

Nettierud
Medium member

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2017 :  01:30:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That search method was very helpful, I went back and replicated it and found Iver's death record 1721-1790. Thanks Lyndal!

Nettie
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9200 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2017 :  17:29:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nettie

I think I have mentioned the useful sources for information on Norwegian families called Bygdebok in one of your earlier posts. Bydgebok are what I would call Farm History Books. They are usually written on a Parish such as Land and covers the families that owned or leased or even just lived on a farm in the parish. For example in your case in the 1865 Norwegian Census Peder Torbjørnsen and his family lived on the farm Kværnstuen in the parish of Søndre Land, Hedmark. That particular location was at one time part of the Torpa parish and was written about in the Bygdebok, Boka om Land vol 9 and 10. by S. E. Ødegaard.

Fortunately that particular set ob Bygdebøker happen to be available at the University of North Dakota Library. I have over time developed a working relationship with Michael Swanson a Research Librarian at UND. I emailed him a copy of the page from the 1865 Norwegian Census for the farm Kværnstuen. In 1865 the family of Peder Torbjørnsen occupied one of the sub farms on the main farm of Kværnstuen. Here is a copy of what was listed for the occupants of farm 9 on Kværnstuen.

Kvernstuen

Peder Torbjørnsen Family

9. Peder Torbjørnsen, f ca 1813-14 Ringsaker, d 1893 g 1840 m Anne Maria Kristoffersdatter, f Åmoteie 1818 (ugifte foreldre: Kristoffer Pedersen Lie og Anne Olsdatter Åmoteie), d 1889

Barn.

Mathea, f 1841 til Amerika 1868
Tomas, f 1843, hjemme som dagarbeider 1865, til Amerika 1868
Agnete, f 1846, budeie Østre Finni 1875, d Vålhovdhagen 1920, ugift
Karen f 1850, d 1854
Pauline, f 1853, g 1880 m Andreas Andersen, se Stubberud u/Skinnerlia
Kristian, f 1856, hjemme 1875, til Amerika 1878
Alette, f 1861, hjemme 1875, til Amerika 1887

Bosted Øystadeie 1840-43, erstadeie 1846, Kollseie 1850, Kvernstuen 1853-65, Vållhovdhagen 1875-93.

Peder var humann og skogsarbeider 1875

Some new information on the family is found in above section form the bygdebok but also good is that the information form the book does confirm much of what we found out about the family.

If you have some questions about the words feel free to ask, but most are fairly simple.
f is født i.e. born, g is gift i.e. married, ugift is unmarried, d is død i.e. died, m is med i.e. with, til is to, og is and.

Edited by - AntonH on 07/11/2017 17:34:01
Go to Top of Page

Nettierud
Medium member

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2017 :  18:35:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is a real treasure to find. I had found hints of Alette in America so it is nice to have it confirmed that she emigrated.
Yes I do have a question. Would you read that to say that Christopher Pedersen Lie and Anne Olsdatter were unmarried when Ann Marie was born? I thought maybe her birth record said Ogla or whatever out of wedlock translates to.

Nettie
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9200 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2017 :  19:56:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, Christopher Pedersen Lie and Anne Olsdatter were unmarried when Ann Marie was born. The word you were likely looking at is.

uægte illegitimate (archaic - see "uekte")

Perhaps a useful dictionary for those older words is.

Link

Edited by - AntonH on 07/11/2017 19:57:20
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9200 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2017 :  21:06:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I had found hints of Alette in America so it is nice to have it confirmed that she emigrated.

She emigrated but it looks as if she also came back and married. Jackie found a person with the correct birth date, married and living in Norway in the 1910 Census.

And her baptism record

Go to Top of Page

Nettierud
Medium member

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2017 :  21:16:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://media.digitalarkivet.no/en/view/9356/56

Can you help me with her brother's birth record in 1821? Ole Christian at the bottom of the page. It appears that he is also uægte? Isn't it unusual for a couple to not get married with two children and does the record provide any more clues in the writing? Thank you.

Nettie
Go to Top of Page

Nettierud
Medium member

USA
87 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2017 :  21:32:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

She emigrated but it looks as if she also came back and married. Jackie found a person with the correct birth date, married and living in Norway in the 1910 Census.

Ok thank you, saves me from tracking down the wrong person.

Nettie
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9200 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2017 :  23:28:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Can you help me with her brother's birth record in 1821? Ole Christian at the bottom of the page. It appears that he is also uægte? Isn't it unusual for a couple to not get married with two children and does the record provide any more clues in the writing? Thank you

Here is the transcribed record. It is a little easier to read.

Link

It may be a little unusual but the section of the bottom of the transcribed page under the Births and baptisms: Remarks might shed some light on the couple. Perhaps a good one for you to work on with the online dictionary.

Basically the remarks start out

"His second adultery. Her second adultery with the same person"

Edited by - AntonH on 07/11/2017 23:33:48
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article