All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 MISCELLANEOUS
 General misc...
 Genealogy Software for Mac
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Lislcat
Advanced member

USA
690 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2017 :  21:46:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi All,
I'm just starting to get back into doing genealogy and I was wondering if anyone could suggest a good program for Mac? I use to run the Reunion software and I could get the latest program, but there seems to be many changes, since I last bought Reunion 9 and I'm wondering if I should switch software? Would appreciate any guidance you can give.

Thanks, Wanda

Lislcat

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2017 :  22:10:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am a subscriber to Ancestry.com and have been for many years. I also used Family Tree Maker as my genealogy software both for Windows and most recently MacBook Pro when I switched from Windows 7 to a MacBook Pro. Thus I could then easily use Ancestry.com data bases to obtain new data and easily add it to my Family Tree Maker Tree. I was therefore rather concerned when Ancestry announced that they were going to drop Family Tree Maker. However Mackiev Software picked up FTM and I purchased Family Tree Mker 2017 from them. The transition went smoothly and I can still sync my Ancestry.com online tree with my Family Tree Maker family tree stored on my Mac.

I am not sure if I was starting from scratch and did not use Ancestry.com so heavily that I would go this route. However another reason for sticking with Ancestry.com and thus also with FTM is that other members of my family can access my Family Tree online as a guest member through an invitation that I can issue through Ancestry.com. That saved me putting in the effort to create a new online tree for their use.

I will post a link for you to Mackiev in case you are interested in taking a look at FTM 2017.

I am sure other posters on this site have their own opinions on what software to use.

Edited by - AntonH on 16/11/2017 22:11:46
Go to Top of Page

Lislcat
Advanced member

USA
690 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2017 :  23:15:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you!
I was looking at FTM. When I first started doing genealogy over 10 years ago, FTM wasn't the best software out there for Mac. I also use Ancestry, but I don't keep a family tree on there. I've heard that it is very easy to download files to FTM from Ancestry, which is a definite plus. With whichever program I choose, I hope I can easily transfer my research.

Thanks again, Wanda

Lislcat
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article