All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Need help with info for great-grandparents
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

kristinemathiason

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2017 :  00:56:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hesitate going back to all of you since you have been so generous with your expertise and time, but I am so excited about what I have recently learned I cannot resist. I have very little to go on with this set of great-grandparents. My great-grandfather is Michael (many spellings) Mathiason born in 1842 somewhere in (western I think) Norway. My great-grandmother Pernella or Nelle Swenson was born 7 Oct 1848 in Norway. Her obituary says her birthplace was Berien, but I can't find such a place; I wonder if it was transcribed wrong and maybe should be Bergen. A set of portraits exists of the couple taken in Oslo before they left Norway in 1865. They were married 16 Jan 1871 in IA . They farmed in Thor, IA and had 10 children. The children are Carl, Amelia, Albertina, Julius, Lorensi, Benhardt, Anna, Peter M, Nelle Alise, and Hannah Violet. Michael abandoned the family and no one has any idea of what happened to him. The story is he ran off with another woman. Nelle is buried in Blossom Hill Cemetery near Thor, IA the actual address is Badger, IA. I have looked at all of the US censuses regarding these people, so I do have more info about their lives here. I don't know if it's possible to find out anything of their lives in Norway. Please let me know. Thank you!

Kristine Gupta

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2017 :  01:23:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How about this one

Pernille Helene Svendsdatter
in the Norway, Select Baptisms, 1634-1927Name: Pernille Helene Svendsdatter
Birth Date: 7 okt 1848 (7 Oct 1848)
Baptism Date: 8 okt 1848 (8 Oct 1848)
Baptism Place: Beiarn, Nordland, Norway
Father: Svend Larsen
Mother: Anne Pedersdr
FHL Film Number: 307077

Original record on Digitlarkivet, click the link

Edited by - AntonH on 01/12/2017 01:28:12
Go to Top of Page

kristinemathiason

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2017 :  02:02:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You people are AMAZING!!! It looks like you found her. I really appreciate finding the communities where my ancestors lived, so when I visit Norway I can walk the grounds and see things that may have been there before they left for the US. What other information is out there?

Kristine Gupta
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2017 :  02:50:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Svend Larsen married Anne Maria Petersdatter on Sept 12, 1847. Svend's father was Lars Svensen and Anne Maria's father was Peter Olsen. The farm that Svend was living on was called Dokmo (Dokkmoe). The farm that Anne Maria was living on was called Agnesli.

Edited by - AntonH on 01/12/2017 02:52:44
Go to Top of Page

kristinemathiason

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2017 :  03:18:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is incredible! I see the farm they "lived on." Does this mean someone else owned it and they worked it?

Kristine Gupta
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2017 :  04:03:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can not tell if Svend's family were owners or if they leased the farm from others. Based on the 1865 Census it would appear that Dokmo wss a fairly big farm. In 1865 there were 47 people associated with the farm. Play with the NHDC site for awhile.

NHDC

Type in Dok in the space for farm name, click on the box for 1865 and click on Nordland and then Search. You should see a list of people living on the Dokon farm in 1865.

Edited by - AntonH on 01/12/2017 04:07:45
Go to Top of Page

kristinemathiason

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2017 :  04:24:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I need to learn how to use these sources. I have been so busy telling siblings and cousins everything.

Kristine Gupta
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2017 :  04:43:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a list of the people on Dochmo (Dokmo) in the 1801 Norwegian Census. To enable you to see the list I clicked on one of the people, the one named Lars Svendsen. I would venture to guess that the person named Lars Svendsen and born 1785 is likely the father of your Svend Larsen discussed above. More work needs to be done of course to prove that.

1801 Dochmo

His parents are Svend (Svend) Pedersen and Maria Olsdatter

This is the site I started with to find the 1801 Census data. It is not the easiest site to use but it is where some of the data you want is found

Digitalarkivet

Up in the right hand corner is the word Bokmål. Click on Bokmål and a menu drops done. Click on English and at least some of what you look at will be in English, which might make it easier for you to use.

Click on Advanced person search

Click on Category then Censuses then 1801

Then scroll way down to Geography, click on Nord-Norge, then Nordland, then on Gildeskål.

Slide back up to the Domicile box and type in Dochmo

Click on Search and explore the list

Edited by - AntonH on 01/12/2017 05:00:02
Go to Top of Page

kristinemathiason

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2017 :  05:22:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, I'll give this a try on the weekend. Are you in the US or Norway? Just curious.

Kristine Gupta
Go to Top of Page

kristinemathiason

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2017 :  05:25:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, I now noticed that we are identified by country and skill level. I am grateful that the veterans are so willing to keep helping.

Kristine Gupta
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2017 :  07:40:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice work Anton.

As sometimes happens, after the more difficult task of identifying an individual's ancestry has been accomplished, online family trees can then be found by searching with the newly found info.

A Geni tree here. Seems credible but nonetheless needs research to verify:
link

Edited by - JaneC on 01/12/2017 07:44:35
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2017 :  14:29:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kristine,
I recommend that you review the book
History of Kossuth and Humboldt Counties, Iowa: together with sketches of their cities, villages and townships. Springfield, Illinois: Union Publishing Company, 1884.

I am related to about half of the Olsons and Hansons from the Thor Iowa area and I learned a great deal of helpful information when I studied the section for Norway township. It was that book that first told me exactly where in Norway my 2nd great grandmother was born. I reviewed the book on LDS Microfilm 0934950 (Family History Library, Salt Lake City, Utah) some years ago.

Badger is located in Beaver township and I had no reason to study those pages for my own ancestry.
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2017 :  16:46:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Intersting Genil.com find Jane. Back from Pernille the managers do seem to have good sources, although I find them a little hard to get to. Here is one for Svend Larsen father of Pernille. I find it a little off in that the main page states his birth as 1 October 1813 and if you click the sources you come to a source from Digitalarkvet of 1 May 1814 for the baptism.

Look on the left page last entry.

Svend

Maybe someone with good reading skills for these old record like Einar or Kåre can take a look at the page and tell us if 1 May is correct and where is the 1 October 2013 found.

Edited by - AntonH on 01/12/2017 16:52:28
Go to Top of Page

eibache
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
6495 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2017 :  20:04:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The baptism was on Mai 1 1814, and it says that Sven was 7 months old at that time. Parents Lars Svensen and Christiana Persdatter, Dochmoe.
The date of birth given as Oct 1 1813 is not confirmed in the baptism record.

Einar

Edited by - eibache on 01/12/2017 20:05:52
Go to Top of Page

kristinemathiason

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2017 :  20:29:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You folks are like a fountain of information that I never dreamed could be accessed after all these years.
Our family does not have the fondest feelings towards Michael Mathiason since it is believed he abandoned the family, however that is not a proven fact and I have many relatives who now or did carry his name. I will look this weekend to see if I can find someone by that name or close to it in the area Pernille is from. Based on their matching portraits taken in Oslo it sees likely they knew each other before coming to the US.
Like Lyndal, my vision is poor due to MS so if anyone has any clues I will gladly accept them.

Kristine Gupta
Go to Top of Page

kristinemathiason

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2017 :  20:31:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh, I also want to thank Hopkins for the book idea. I will suggest that one of my children get it for my birthday : )

Kristine Gupta
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article