All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Need help with info for great-grandparents
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2017 :  21:50:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Einar for looking at the baptism record of Svend Larsen father of Pernille . So the manger of the Geni.com has the right baptism record but probably just subtracted 7 months from 1 May 1814 to get the 1 October 1813 birth date.

Pernille was confirmed on September 25, 1864. No birth date provided oddly enough but we know it was 1848.

In the 1865 Norwegian Census, The mother of Pernille, Anne Pedersdatter was living at Angnesli, probably with her brother Ole and his wife. No sign of Pernille.

Edited by - AntonH on 01/12/2017 21:57:31
Go to Top of Page

kristinemathiason

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2017 :  02:15:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In 1865 she was 17 years old, perhaps old enough to leave home? Pernille's obituary says she arrived in the US in 1869.

Kristine Gupta
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2017 :  02:19:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kristine,
The history book of those two Iowa counties was published in 1884 and has long been out of print. It also is doubtful that it ever had much broad success in the market.

I've seen the book - and you really have to have lived there to find much of interest. (In years past - I have lived in both those counties and have many family buried there -- otherwise I would have been bored to tears.)

Rather look for a copy somewhere to purchase, I'd recommend that you contact your local public library and see if they can find it for your to borrow through the Inter-Library Loan program.
Go to Top of Page

kristinemathiason

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2017 :  17:39:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hopkins

Kristine,
The history book of those two Iowa counties was published in 1884 and has long been out of print. It also is doubtful that it ever had much broad success in the market.

I've seen the book - and you really have to have lived there to find much of interest. (In years past - I have lived in both those counties and have many family buried there -- otherwise I would have been bored to tears.)

Rather look for a copy somewhere to purchase, I'd recommend that you contact your local public library and see if they can find it for your to borrow through the Inter-Library Loan program.

Kristine Gupta
Go to Top of Page

kristinemathiason

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2017 :  17:44:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kristinemathiason

[quote]Originally posted by Hopkins

Kristine,

I asked my sister who lives in Humboldt to see if the library has it, so she can preview it for me. I actually can't read much more than a long email at a time w/o getting motion sick due to MS. If Humboldt doesn't have it we'll se if we can get it here or through NCSU where my husband teaches. Maybe I can get him to read it to me for my birthday. BTW, last night we watched one of many Norwegian documentaries on Norway - such gorgeous scenery, I want him to get the bug ; )

Kristine Gupta
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2017 :  23:01:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rather curious that I can not find her or Michael in either the 1865 Norwegian Census or in the 1870 US Census. Both 1900 and 1910 US Census list her arrival as 1869 in agreement with her obit.

The closest is Pernillie Tynson in Humboldt. Would have to be making a Svensen into a Tynson and also no sign of a Michael Mathiasen anywhere around.

Edited by - AntonH on 02/12/2017 23:15:27
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2017 :  23:36:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is as you probably have noticed not much information that has been found on the husband of Pernille. So now we probably need to start casting for straws. Here in 1870 is a Mike Madison living in Webster, Iowa. Closest I can come to your Michael Mathiesen.

What caught my eye was the presence of a Hans Swanson born 1842 in Norway. I have found a Hans born to Svend Larsen and Nicoline Larsdtter. Hans was born out of wedlock in Beiarn, Nordland, Norway. The original record lists the residence of Svend Larsen as Dokmo (Dochmoe). Maybe a coincidence but there has to be a reason for Pernille and Michael ending up in that part of Iowa.

Edited by - AntonH on 03/12/2017 00:32:13
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2017 :  23:49:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well I went back and looked at the Geni.com tree found by Jane and your Svend Larsen was married twice. The first time to Nicoline Larsdatter who is listed as dying in 1846 and then Sven married Anne Marie Pedersdatter mother of your Pernille.

So it is possible that the Mike Madison living in the same residence as Hans Swanson is the friend and future husband of Pernille and Hans is her step-bother.

Hans Christian Svensen the likely brother of Pernille left for America in 1867.

Emigration record for Hans Svensen in 1867 destination Chicago. Next to him is also likely the Peter Hanson who is found with him in the 1870 US Census

Emigration

Edited by - AntonH on 06/12/2017 03:45:29
Go to Top of Page

kristinemathiason

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2017 :  01:04:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have tried to find something all day, but I can't add to or resolve anything that you have found since I put this out for your help/.

Kristine Gupta
Go to Top of Page

kristinemathiason

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2017 :  01:15:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is changing one's name from Madison to Mathiason an unusual thing? In the record you looked at is it possible someone either heard the name wrong or the th looked like a d and was transcribed wrong?
I keep wondering about the companion photos that were supposed to have been taken in Oslo of Pernille and Michael back in 1860s, yet they weren't married until 1971.
Did Hans Christiansen Svensen settled in either Humboldt or Webster Co. IA? I'll try to look.

Kristine Gupta
Go to Top of Page

kristinemathiason

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2017 :  01:34:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, there is a person of that name in Badger born in 1843 in Norway

Kristine Gupta
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2017 :  01:48:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Is changing one's name from Madison to Mathiason an unusual thing? In the record you looked at is it possible someone either heard the name wrong or the th looked like a d and was transcribed wrong?

Probably a little bit of both. Looking at the original census record, I think it is written Matisen so the transcription of Madison is off and the Matisen is probably what the census taker heard when the person said Mathisen by pronouncing it as Mat not Math.

Interesting but not much closer to knowing who is Michael Mathisen?

But I would venture a guess that whoever he is he is from the Nordland are so he knew the family before he and Pernille left. Or an alternative explanation is that they did not know one another in Norway but met though her step-brother Hans in Iowa.

That is contrary to the what you seem to know from the photos.

Tell us more of what you know about those photographs of the couple.

Edited by - AntonH on 03/12/2017 02:10:45
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2017 :  02:08:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes there is a Hans Swenson who married a Serena Sampson daughter of Peter and Betsey Sampson from Norway.

The data from the 1900 US Census fit well with the one from Nordland

Edited by - AntonH on 03/12/2017 02:39:50
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2017 :  07:51:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Oh, I also want to thank Hopkins for the book idea. I will suggest that one of my children get it for my birthday : )

Google books has probably digitized it, since Hathitrust.org has it as a searchable.

Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2017 :  15:04:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I hesitate going back to all of you since you have been so generous with your expertise and time, but I am so excited about what I have recently learned I cannot resist. I have very little to go on with this set of great-grandparents. My great-grandfather is Michael (many spellings) Mathiason born in 1842 somewhere in (western I think) Norway. My great-grandmother Pernella or Nelle Swenson was born 7 Oct 1848 in Norway. Her obituary says her birthplace was Berien, but I can't find such a place; I wonder if it was transcribed wrong and maybe should be Bergen. A set of portraits exists of the couple taken in Oslo before they left Norway in 1865. They were married 16 Jan 1871 in IA . They farmed in Thor, IA and had 10 children. The children are Carl, Amelia, Albertina, Julius, Lorensi, Benhardt, Anna, Peter M, Nelle Alise, and Hannah Violet. Michael abandoned the family and no one has any idea of what happened to him. The story is he ran off with another woman. Nelle is buried in Blossom Hill Cemetery near Thor, IA the actual address is Badger, IA. I have looked at all of the US censuses regarding these people, so I do have more info about their lives here. I don't know if it's possible to find out anything of their lives in Norway. Please let me know. Thank you!

Most intractable problems begin to be solved with what you know. You mention that you have the US Federal censuses. We forumites don't have them to see what you have seen unless we spend time looking. What about data from the Iowa state censuses?

Here is a link to the 1900 census:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M9KB-724

In the 1900 census, Nellie is listed as "divorced." The youngest child was born (according to the same record) in June 1889. That means that the rupture in the marriage probably started after Sept-Oct 1888.
Have you found him in the 1895 Iowa census with the family or not?

The county courthouse is likely to have records of the divorce, if legally undertaken, have you searched there? Knowing and having the divorce case file (if it was undertaken legally, and if it still exists) might fill in some details, hone down the time and where records might need to be searched for Michael and challenge or support the family tradition of adultery.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article