All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Need help with info for great-grandparents
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

kristinemathiason

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2017 :  17:48:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the new info and the tips. My cousin in CA (I am in NC) has the portraits. I've asked her to search them for clues and put her head together with others who saw them and may have heard any family stories about them. I'll let you know what Suzanne and Mary come up with.

Kristine Gupta
Go to Top of Page

kristinemathiason

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2017 :  17:54:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My sister lives near the Humboldt County courthouse and can check to see if they have those records and if she can get access to them.

Kristine Gupta
Go to Top of Page

kristinemathiason

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2017 :  17:58:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Violet was actually born in 1891.

Kristine Gupta
Go to Top of Page

kristinemathiason

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2017 :  18:15:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Violet was actually called Hanna as a child, she went by her middle name as a adult.
I looked at IA 1885 census and I read it to say Nellie as married, but US 1900 lists her as widowed as does the IA 1915 census. I can't view the 1895 IA census. If it says she's divorced, maybe she later learned Michael was dead or decided widow was a more acceptable status.

Kristine Gupta
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2017 :  18:45:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The earliest record of the family in ELCA is this one from 1873.

Michael Mathesen
in the U.S., Evangelical Lutheran Church in America Church Records, 1826-1945
Name: Michael Mathesen
Spouse: Pernille Svensen
Child: Albertene Sophie Mathesen
Church Name: Ullensvang Lutheran Church
Church Location: Thor, Iowa

The witnesses for the baptism are Torbjorn T Chantland, Lars Thompson, Kjerstine T Chantland, Susanne T Chantland

From several Family Trees on Ancestry.com this is likely the family from the record.

Torbjorn Torbjornsen
in the Norway, Select Marriages, 1660-1926
Name: Torbjorn Torbjornsen
Marriage Date: 10 okt 1839 (10 Oct 1839)
Marriage Place: Aardal,Rogaland,Norway
Spouse: Elen Kirstine Pedersdr
FHL Film Number: 126128

From one tree

Torbjorn Torbjornson Chantland
BIRTH 1804 • Skifturn, Hjelmeland, Norway
DEATH 1896 • Badger, Webster, IA

Edited by - AntonH on 03/12/2017 18:54:35
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2017 :  19:17:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kristinemathiason

Violet was actually called Hanna as a child, she went by her middle name as a adult.
I looked at IA 1885 census and I read it to say Nellie as married, but US 1900 lists her as widowed as does the IA 1915 census. I can't view the 1895 IA census. If it says she's divorced, maybe she later learned Michael was dead or decided widow was a more acceptable status.

A lot of women make that same assessment, our society being what it is.

Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2017 :  19:42:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kristinemathiason

We will have to disagree about the actual 1900 census marital status. It looks like a D to me not Wd. It also has a daughter Hanna M listed in the household born about 1886, so what's right? The 1905 Iowa State census also lists her as "seperated". I don't know.

But Anton is looking for the faddernes the godparents at each of the children's baptisms and that might give you a clue who Michael is related to. Godparents are usually family or friends from both sides of the family which might indicate origins in Norway.
Go to Top of Page

kristinemathiason

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2017 :  20:02:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are correct. It is a D. I have a hard time reading : (

quote:
Originally posted by lyndal40

The earliest record of the family in ELCA is this one from 1873.

Michael Mathesen
in the U.S., Evangelical Lutheran Church in America Church Records, 1826-1945
Name: Michael Mathesen
Spouse: Pernille Svensen
Child: Albertene Sophie Mathesen
Church Name: Ullensvang Lutheran Church
Church Location: Thor, Iowa

The witnesses for the baptism are Torbjorn T Chantland, Lars Thompson, Kjerstine T Chantland, Susanne T Chantland

From several Family Trees on Ancestry.com this is likely the family from the record.

Torbjorn Torbjornsen
in the Norway, Select Marriages, 1660-1926
Name: Torbjorn Torbjornsen
Marriage Date: 10 okt 1839 (10 Oct 1839)
Marriage Place: Aardal,Rogaland,Norway
Spouse: Elen Kirstine Pedersdr
FHL Film Number: 126128

From one tree

Torbjorn Torbjornson Chantland
BIRTH 1804 • Skifturn, Hjelmeland, Norway
DEATH 1896 • Badger, Webster, IA

Kristine Gupta
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2017 :  20:10:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry about that for you.
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2017 :  00:18:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Torbjørn Torbjørnsen was from farm Skiftun when he married 1839

Kåre
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2017 :  00:53:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kristine,
I'm very very jealous that you have a sister who lives close to that courthouse on the hill in Dakota City. A pretty good sampling of Humboldt Co. records have been put into the collections at FamilySearch.org.

The original Norwegian Lutheran churches/congregations were many in that county. I recall that there were at least three churches around Thor of different synods originally. All three eventually merged into the Thor Lutheran Church sometimes still known as the Ullensvang Church.
When I was studying the early history of Norwegians in Humboldt Co. I also remember that Norwegian Lutheran ministers were rather scarce so they often served more than one congregation. I specifically remember that one very very early minister served at least one of the congregations in or just outside Thor AND also served a congregation in Badger. He may have travelled to other nearby congregations also.
If I have time this coming week I'll try to dig through my old notes and get some sources for where my memories came from.
Go to Top of Page

kristinemathiason

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2017 :  01:02:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My sister and cousins are interested, but I have a much harder time getting them to act than all of you. In her defense Carla is recently widowed and is still dealing with her new imposed lifestyle.
I smiled when you said the Dakota City courthouse on the hill. I remember going there to get my driver's permit and then my driver's license - the officer only had me drive around the block ; ) At one time it looked like a big building, but I'm sure it shrunk.

Kristine Gupta
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2017 :  01:54:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My mother left me a copy of Centennial 1872-1972: History of Ullensvang Lutheran Church Thor, Iowa (n.p.: n.pub., 1972).
I pulled it out of my bookshelf this evening and found the following paragraph on page 12.
"The Norwegian Lutherans of the Thor community were served spiritually by Rev. Nils Amlund at Badger as early as 1869. On August 1, 1872, Rev. O. A. Sauer from Fort Dodge was instrumental in organizing the East Badger Lutheran Congregation, of which many Lutherans of Thor were a part. In June of 1872, the first meeting of the Norway Evangelical Lutheran Church was held at the home of Ole Halgrims, Rev. Aaserod presiding. Also in August of that same year the Ullensvang Norway Evangelical Lutheran Church was organized in Mrs. Carrie Olson's home, Rev. O. A. Sauer, presiding."
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2017 :  02:12:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, Kristine. I did exactly the same two things at that courthouse! I'll have to run those streets again on GoogleMaps or similar this week... See if there is much left that I remember.

I have a brother who still lives just a couple of counties away - he will NOT run around and do such favors at all. He will go marching through the tiny rural cemeteries but only if I make the long trip back up there and stay for at least several days to lead the way.
Go to Top of Page

kristinemathiason

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2017 :  03:34:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The name is very good and DOB close. What are the downsides?

Kristine Gupta
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article