All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 Edwin(Edward) Larson
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2018 :  00:15:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Is it possible to have the 6th and the 7th column of the pages in the book translated? I can only decipher certain words.

The information contained in the Norwegian original record is given in English in the transcribed version. Compare the information in the

To the same information given in English in this Link

Link
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2018 :  00:46:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder what evidence you are using to connect Anton Larsen Putten born June 12, 1860 in Veste Toten, Oppland to your Edward A Larson of Freeborn County other than the birth date. It seems more likely that Anton Larsen Putten is the person found in Marshall County in 1885 and 1895 Census by jkmarler.

According to a Family Tree on Ancestry.com Anton Larsen Putten is the person who is found in the 1880 Census in Goodue County but then is found in Marshall County for Naturalization and Property Records. He is listed as having died in 1893 according to this Family Tree.

This Family Tree also shows that he has a brother Christian Larsen Putten born Dec 28 1846 Vardal, Oppland who also came to Minnesota and died Jun 8, 1888 in Polk County, Minnesota.

I think some further work needs to be done before you put a lot of hope that the Anton Larsen Putten is the person you seek.

Edited by - AntonH on 07/06/2018 01:27:36
Go to Top of Page

JodiRae63

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2018 :  01:09:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was basing the decision off of the link <https://www.digitalarkivet.no/en/view/255/pd00000008911284>, where I believed this to be the direction of this person in Norway working on the Putten Farm, the birthdate. But if you are encouraging me to move along to another record, then I shall continue to search. I felt this was the direction I was being directed based on the digitalarivet link. I am having great trouble with this person unfortunately.

Jodi R. (Trogstad) Brennan
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2018 :  01:17:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your Link does not work, what is it that you are trying to link to?

Edited by - AntonH on 07/06/2018 01:20:39
Go to Top of Page

JodiRae63

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2018 :  01:43:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The link above directs me to #758, the town in Minnesota is Zumbrota not Grembrota. I don't remember where I saw this transition of him but one did say Zumbrota Minnesota. Really struggling with the lack of information and then you guys pull out all the stops and dump stuff into my lap in no time flat. I've spent hours, days and weeks trying to locate information on him. I did exchange a forum message about this candidate, FHL Film Number: 125638,Reference ID: bk5 #166 which I thought to be likely the one, but was discouraged to move forward with it due to its involvement with another family tree. It seemed like a possibility and I did want to use it...thanks for keeping me on the right path. Why not the Swedish/Sweden aspect?

Go to Top of Page

JodiRae63

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2018 :  01:46:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also, my individual is really supposedly Edward A. Larson. I started looking at the Anton, middle initial aspect, only after receiving the above thoughts. Is it better to continue to seek it with Edward, Anton (Anthon) or both?

Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2018 :  01:46:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know you are having difficulty finding the ancestry of Edward A Larson of Freeborn County. However I do not think that Anton Larsen Putten is going to prove to be a useful direction. As I dig further into Anton Larsen Putten the evidence is piling up that he came to America to Goodhue County in 1879. His brother Martin L Larsen born in 1858 and shown in the 1865 Norwegian Census on page one was already living in Wannamingo, Goodhue Conty. Martin Larson can be found in the 1880 US Census in Goodhue County and then found in the 1900 US Census living in Warren, Marshall County.

It appears that many of the brothers of Anton Larsen Putten came to America first to Goodhue County around 1880 and then moved to Marshall County in the Northern part of Minneota. I think Anton Larsen Putten followed the same route and he likely died in Marshall maybe in the late 1890's

Your Edward Larson as near as we can tell came to Freeborn County, married there and spent most of his life there. Thus he and Anton Larsen Putten can not be the same man.

As a wise poster on this site has said "the answer to difficult searches can usually be best solved with information opbained on the person from their life in America".

In other words you need more information on Edward Larsen the man who lived in Freeborn Conty. The most useful bit of information on him would be the location in Norway where he was born. be it a farm name, a parish or even a county.

Also are there any friends or relatives of Edward Larson that you know the names of who were living in the Freeborn County area around the time when Edward arrived and married.

Edited by - AntonH on 07/06/2018 02:16:50
Go to Top of Page

JodiRae63

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2018 :  02:11:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
okay.

Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2018 :  08:20:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What source do you have for Edward's birthdate?

Freeborn county Historical Society has done a nice job indexing some Freeborn county newspapers. Index is available at the museum. Have you looked for an obit for Edward?

There is a database at family search which actually states that Edward is the Anthon in the Putten family. One of the other brothers in that family is an Otto Larson Skonovd who died in 1924. If they were brothers, Edward might be mentioned as a survivor in obituary.

When Edward dies in 1932 perhaps he is mentioned as being survived by a sibling?

Edited by - jkmarler on 07/06/2018 08:25:54
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2018 :  16:04:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Otto Larsen Skonrud is shown to have died in Marsalll County. Several of the sons of Lars Olsen Putten and Marthe Chrisstoffersdatter died in either Marshall County or Polk County. One of them Olaus died in Pennington County. Here are some of them.

Otto L. Skonoud
in the Minnesota, Death Index, 1908-2002
Name: Otto L. Skonoud
[Otto L Skonovd]
Death Date: 28 Feb 1924
Death County: Marshall
State File Number: 007506
Certificate Number: 007506
Certificate Year: 1924
Record Number: 398222

Christian Putten
in the U.S., Find A Grave Index, 1600s-Current
Name: Christian Putten
Birth Date: 1847
Death Date: 8 Jun 1888
Cemetery: Sand Hill Lutheran Church Cemetery
Burial or Cremation Place: Climax, Polk County, Minnesota, United States of America
Has Bio?: N

And one of them did live in Minnesota most of his live but died in California.

Martin Lauritz Larson
in the California, Death Index, 1940-1997
Name: Martin Lauritz Larson
Birth Date: 14 Jun 1858
Birth Place: Other Country
Death Date: 19 Dec 1942
Death Place: Stanislaus
Mother's Maiden Name: Christofferson
Father's Surname: Olson

Martin seems to have preceded his younger bother Anton, having arrived in New York on May 21 a few days before Anton. He is also found in the 1880 Census in Wanamingo, Goodhue, Minnesota, US as was Anton and also found in 1900 US Census in Warren, Marshall, Minnesota, now married with children. I have not found Anton in the 1900 US Census and the owner of the AncestryTree has him listed as dead by then.

The Ancestry.com Tree that I pulled all of the above information from is quite detailed in its treatment of the family. Thus I feel fairly comfortable in the conclusion that Anton Larsen Putten is not the same person as Edward A Larson of Freeborn County.

Edited by - AntonH on 07/06/2018 17:03:03
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2018 :  23:19:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Casting a wider net in Minnesota generates an Edward Larson son of Lars Larson and born in Norway abt 1860 living with the family in Olmsted County in the 1875 Minnesota Censsus. He is living with the family in the 1870 Census. A long shot but maybe worth invesitigating.

Name: Edward Larson
Census Date: 1 May 1875
County: Olmsted
Locality: Rock Dell
Birth Location: Norway
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1862
Race: White
Father's Birth Location: Norway
Mother's Birth Location: Norway

This is the baptism record for this Edward Larson. Other children were born in the parish of Sigdal Buskerud

Eduard Larsen
in the Norway, Select Baptisms, 1634-1927
Name: Eduard Larsen
Birth Date: 14 okt 1860 (14 Oct 1860)
Baptism Date: 24 feb 1861
Baptism Place: , Lier, Buskerud, Norway
Father: Lars Larsen
Mother: Marthe Engebretsdr
FHL Film Number: 278200

The family in the 1865 Norwegian Census

The family left Lier Buskerud in April of 1869.

#14 to 21

Edited by - AntonH on 08/06/2018 00:56:19
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2018 :  01:32:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well maybe the Edward Larson living in Olmsted is not a good candidate after all. I noticed that the father Lars Larsen had the farm name of Li attached to him in his emigration record from Lier. So I expanded my search from Larson to some of the children's names when looking for the family in the 1880 Cesnsu. This family pops up in Rock Dell , Olmsted with the last name of Lee that looks a lot like the Larson family from Norway. And it includes an Edward Lee born 1860. Some of the children of the Lars Larson family are missing, but most of them are here.

Edward Lee
in the 1880 United States Federal Census
Name: Edward Lee
Birth Date: Abt 1860
Birthplace: Norway
Home in 1880: Rock Dell, Olmsted, Minnesota, USA
Dwelling Number: 55
Race: White
Relation to Head of House: Son
Marital Status: Single
Father's name: Larv Lee
Father's Birthplace: Norway
Mother's name: Martha Lee
Mother's Birthplace: Nor
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
Larv Lee 63
Martha Lee 53
Larv Lee 23
Edward Lee 20
Eliza Lee 17
Peter Lee 14
Hans Lee 12
Syvert Magnesia 7

I think with this death record we can rule the Edward Larson from Olmsted out.

Edward L. Lee
in the U.S., Find A Grave Index, 1600s-Current
Name: Edward L. Lee
Birth Date: 14 Oct 1860
Death Date: 11 Oct 1891
Cemetery: East Saint Olaf Lutheran Church Cemetery
Burial or Cremation Place: Rock Dell, Olmsted County, Minnesota, United States of America
Has Bio?: N

Edited by - AntonH on 08/06/2018 01:36:31
Go to Top of Page

JodiRae63

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2018 :  07:03:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I spent a lot of time last night on the internet trying to recall my home turf in southern Minnesota, regaining familiarity and realizing I know a lot of places there. I haven't been there in a long time. I was also out on the Freeborn Historical website and my attempts at trying to locate other places to obtain birth and death certificates caused me write over twenty cities down. That is, places I was familiar with. I finally happened on a site for 'Ancestory' when typing in Edward Larson with 'Alma' a location in Spink Union South Dakota USA. Now I've never heard that there was a South Dakota location for my side of the family under Christian Haagenson Trogstad, or Edward Larson, though Hagbert 'Haagenson' Trogstad's descendants prevail from there. A great many live in the South Dakota area. My search found:
Edward Larson, b: 1860, Male, White, Birthplace: Norway, married to: Alma, Home in 1930 Spink Union South Dakota USA, Dwelling #144, Family Number 144, Home: Owned, Radio set - yes (I do not know was that means), Lives on Farm: Yes, Age at First marriage: 22, Attended School: No, Able to Read and Write: Yes, Father's Birthplace: Norway, Mother's Birthplace: Norway, Language Spoken: Norwegian, Naturalization: Un, Speak English: Yes, Occupation: Farmers, Industry: General Farm, Class of Worker: Employer. Household Members Age: Edward Larson 70, Mary Larson 57, Ludwig Larson 37, Edward Larson 36, Sofia Larsen 34, Ha(u)lmer Larson 29, George Larson 28, William Larson 22. Of course, it was late and I neglected to write the url down. There are several reasons why I think this might be the individual I am looking for. I sorta recall my dad mentioning a 'Ludwig' and a George. And then of course that the name Alma is attached to it. I haven't had a chance to look at the computer until just this late hour and thought to check your response and send this. Thanks for the timely feedback. jodi

Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2018 :  16:30:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That is great work Jodi, That is how you are going to find the information you need to advance your search. This information may or may not lead somewhere but keep searching your memory and your family history.

Edited by - AntonH on 08/06/2018 16:39:25
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2018 :  17:21:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jodi, you keep working on obtaining information from America that might lead us back to a place in Norway where your Edward Larson hails from. I will continue to mine the Norwegian records and see where it leads me. It might be a little off on things like birth year but we are not having much luck sticking with1860. Also I tend to use this site as my storage spot for links on a line I am following.

Here are two men named Edvard Larsen leaving Noway, Both in May of 1878 and traveling to Rushford, Minnesota. Rushfrord is of course in Freeborn County. They are both older than what we think your Edward Larson was.

Link1

Link 1 could be this fellow in the 1865 Census

Link

Link2

Link 2 could be this fellow

Edvard Larsen born in 1853 in Nord Ordal might fitr with the person in Link 2

With family in the 1865 Census

And him leaving Nord Ordal in 1878

This might be the Nilla Andersen also traveling to Rushford and also on Berg in 1865

Link

Edited by - AntonH on 10/06/2018 23:08:38
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article