All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 Edwin(Edward) Larson
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2018 :  18:12:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JodiRae63

I spent a lot of time last night on the internet trying to recall my home turf in southern Minnesota, regaining familiarity and realizing I know a lot of places there. I haven't been there in a long time. I was also out on the Freeborn Historical website and my attempts at trying to locate other places to obtain birth and death certificates caused me write over twenty cities down. That is, places I was familiar with. I finally happened on a site for 'Ancestory' when typing in Edward Larson with 'Alma' a location in Spink Union South Dakota USA. Now I've never heard that there was a South Dakota location for my side of the family under Christian Haagenson Trogstad, or Edward Larson, though Hagbert 'Haagenson' Trogstad's descendants prevail from there. A great many live in the South Dakota area. My search found:
Edward Larson, b: 1860, Male, White, Birthplace: Norway, married to: Alma, Home in 1930 Spink Union South Dakota USA, Dwelling #144, Family Number 144, Home: Owned, Radio set - yes (I do not know was that means), Lives on Farm: Yes, Age at First marriage: 22, Attended School: No, Able to Read and Write: Yes, Father's Birthplace: Norway, Mother's Birthplace: Norway, Language Spoken: Norwegian, Naturalization: Un, Speak English: Yes, Occupation: Farmers, Industry: General Farm, Class of Worker: Employer. Household Members Age: Edward Larson 70, Mary Larson 57, Ludwig Larson 37, Edward Larson 36, Sofia Larsen 34, Ha(u)lmer Larson 29, George Larson 28, William Larson 22. Of course, it was late and I neglected to write the url down. There are several reasons why I think this might be the individual I am looking for. I sorta recall my dad mentioning a 'Ludwig' and a George. And then of course that the name Alma is attached to it. I haven't had a chance to look at the computer until just this late hour and thought to check your response and send this. Thanks for the timely feedback. jodi

Radio was the "hot" new technology in 1930 and the US government wanted to know who had a radio.

Good to have some additional names to look for. Much easier to find a family than one lone individual.

Here is a link to the Edward Larson in Union county, SD in 1930:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XQV2-DWC

Same family in 1910 and Edward's brother Matthias is living with them:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MPXR-P7R

Same family in 1900 and brother Mathias is living with them:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MMRX-TBW

Edward Larsen in Findagrave says born 10 July 1859 Gjovik, Oppland fylke, Norway:
https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/40757044/edward-larson

Edited by - jkmarler on 09/06/2018 05:37:24
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2018 :  22:11:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Probably not the right Edward Larsen but the birth record from FAG is correct.

Go to Top of Page

JodiRae63

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2018 :  22:55:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you please advise me what Skonovd means.

Jodi R. (Trogstad) Brennan
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2018 :  23:54:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You probably mean Skonhovd, a farm in Vardal, Oppland

From Ole Rygh

38 Skonhovd Vardal Vardal

And scroll down to the farms starting with s in Family Search for Vardal, Oppland

Link

Edited by - AntonH on 13/06/2018 23:58:35
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2018 :  00:37:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where are you going with this. I see a Edvard Larsen born 1856 in the 1865 Norwegian Census living on Skonhovd

Link

Edited by - AntonH on 14/06/2018 00:50:04
Go to Top of Page

JodiRae63

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2018 :  00:53:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to ask about copyright of the forum. I have not obtained permission to do this, and just realized that there is need for permission. I copied the above information with 'links and reference' to this site, what do I do to make this correct for use? What may I do to receive permission for use of the information?

Go to Top of Page

JodiRae63

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2018 :  01:02:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On Family Search website they complied quite a few different profiles from census, and related them to each other which provided me a clear connection for a family for Anthon Larson, but still the name Edward was not listed, only Anthon or Anton in relation to his family. Only for his wife Alma Ayars, and their children was there and association to Edward in the Census. When I began to view the 'loose' (my term) profiles they just fell into place, and I see today on Digitalarkivit that they are listed under the Skonhovd, but I did not know what that meant. I was looking continuously under Kristiana, but it looks like this Vardal, Oppland is now coming up. Also, there is listing to Vestre Toten Oppland. I am trying my best to familiarize myself with these names/locations for clarity.

Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2018 :  01:13:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Try going to familysearch.org
Pull down the search menu options and choose to use the Research WIKI.
When that comes up type in Norway as the place.
You can see a map which shows the layout as to where Oppland is in relationship to Oslo (Kristiania).
Click on Oppland on that map and it will take you to detail for that fylke (province/county).
Then you can see the districts within Oppland on that page - note Vardal and Vestre Toten.
The WIKI will probably also give you more detail about each of the districts.

Skonhovd was the name of a farm.
Go to Top of Page

JodiRae63

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2018 :  01:14:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello. I removed all of the forum that I put on Wikitree, and only have the links to the Norway Heritage forum for sources. Easy enough to do. Hope that resolves the concerns. I did not even think about it when I did it and I was trying to respect your input into the search by copying the forum and providing the link to your website.

Go to Top of Page

JodiRae63

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 14/06/2018 :  01:21:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hopkins

Try going to familysearch.org
Pull down the search menu options and choose to use the Research WIKI.
When that comes up type in Norway as the place.
You can see a map which shows the layout as to where Oppland is in relationship to Oslo (Kristiania).
Click on Oppland on that map and it will take you to detail for that fylke (province/county).
Then you can see the districts within Oppland on that page - note Vardal and Vestre Toten.
The WIKI will probably also give you more detail about each of the districts.

Skonhovd was the name of a farm.

Thanks that was nice to see.

Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2018 :  15:57:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If all goes well in the middle of the left page is Edward Larson's marrriage record:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:939Z-YR91-RQ?i=464&cc=1803974
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article