All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 SHIPS AND VOYAGES
 The voyage
 Voyages to London, England
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

PhilMyhre

New Zealand
46 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2018 :  02:00:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for that. So it's a kind of Visa of the day ??

Philip Myhre
Go to Top of Page

PhilMyhre

New Zealand
46 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2018 :  02:06:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by lyndal40

Phil, I know you were once looking for the location of the Myhre farm. I am beginning to think that the farm is actually called Brumyr also spelled Bromyr. And your ancestors modified the farm name slightly to get to Myhre. Here is the location of the Brumyr farm and a little information on it.

Map

Description from Olaf Rygh Norwegian Farm Names.

140. Brumyr. Udt. brú`mýr. #8213; Bromyr og Bromyr øvre

That is so interesting. Could you translate the '140 Brumyr. Udt.....etc ' above for me? Can I access the 'Olaf Rygh Norwegian Farm Names' you refer to -? Would that enable me to see the owner or Title to the farm?

Philip Myhre
Go to Top of Page

PhilMyhre

New Zealand
46 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2018 :  02:10:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In looking at the 'Map' reference, I can't help but notice nearby is Thorsdalen. I see Hans Christensen's 'second wife' (if correct) was Berthe Eriksdatter Helgesen Moen/ Thorsdalen. Is this a reference to the farm she was from? And Moen ?

Philip Myhre
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2018 :  02:37:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Berthe Eriksdatter Helgesen Moen/ Thorsdalen. Is this a reference to the farm she was from? And Moen ?

Thats a real combination of farm names. The father of Berthe Ericsdatter was Eric Helgesen. So the Helgesen belongs to him, and comes from his father Helge. . In her baptism record he is listed as Eric Helgesen Moen. So Eric son of Helge from the Moen. farm. At some point in time perhaps after the birth date the family or at least Berthe would have been associated with the Thordalen, which may be the Torsdal farm which is close to the Moen farm.

Here is a link to her baptism. Fourth entry down on the right hand page.

Link

However when they were married he had the farm name of Myhra and she had the farm name of Moen. That was in 1778.

Fifth entry down on far left column

Link

On this map you can see that Torsdal farm is close to the Brumyr farm.

Map

Edited by - AntonH on 04/09/2018 04:15:15
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2018 :  03:17:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes you can use the Olaf Rygh web site. However it is not the easiest site to use.

Link

Here is what you need to look for.

140 Brumyr Kongsberg Sandsvær Buskeruds amt

138 Moensæter Kongsberg Sandsvær Buskeruds amt

Sæter = a hilly sub-farm, a summer farm. Moen was a farm neighbouring Braaten farm in Jondalen, Kongsberg.

Listen over gårder er hentet fra "Norske Gaardnavne".

v.5, p.399
138. Moensæter. Udt. mó:`nsæter (?) [saa opgivet]. #8213; Moen-
sæter søndre og nordre 1723.
v.5, p.399
140. Brumyr. Udt. brú`mýr. #8213; Bromyr og Bromyr øvre

Udt. refers to how to pronounce the farm name. May be an older version of Uttale.

Edited by - AntonH on 04/09/2018 03:43:33
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2018 :  14:28:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PhilMyhre

Thanks for that. So it's a kind of Visa of the day ??

Well they did issue actual passports too, so perhaps an ad hoc informal version.

A lot of people, my great great grandmother's sister for one, used her vaccination certificate as an ID also, since her name, birth date, and parents' names were on it.

In my experience, the attest was the last thing to get before the voyage or move.
Go to Top of Page

PhilMyhre

New Zealand
46 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2018 :  06:56:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by lyndal40

A possible arrival in 1857, no first name so a little difficult to be certain. However the occupation is listed as Machinist which is not a good fit.

Mr Myhre
in the England, Alien Arrivals, 1810-1811, 1826-1869
Name: Myhre
Port of Arrival: Hull, England
Arrival date: 30 Jun 1857
Port of Departure: Oslo, Norway and Kristiansand, Norway
Ship: Courier
Country of Origin/Native of: Norway

Hi Lyndal, can you direct me to the location of this passenger arrival - Link?

Philip Myhre
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2018 :  16:50:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From the Ancestry.com data base

"England, Alien Arrivals, 1810-1811, 1826-1869"
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2018 :  23:21:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While at the U of Minn library recently I was doing some research on my ancestors in a Norwegian Journal called Norsk Slektshistorisk Tidsskrift. While working there I stumbled upon an article written by Asgaut Steinnes on the son of Holger Stoltenberg. He was named Christian Holger Stoltenberg, and is the half brother of Sara Maria and Anna Stoltenberg. The three were all born out of wedlock with the same father Holger Henrichsen Stoltenberg born in 1761 as we have detailed above. He moved to Bergen from Chisitiania in 1797 and is likely the same one found by Jackie in 1801 Census but with an incorrect birth year. It is likely that the mother of Christian was named Ragnhild Knutsdatter Villand but the mother of the two girls Sara Maria and Anna is not named but both were likely born in Bergen and then shipped off to various foster homes and homes of other family members. Brede Plade Stoltenberg and Vincent Stoltenberg uncles of the two girls likely played a role in the upbringing of the girls. A baptism record for Sara Maria does not seem to exist. Steinnes seems to infer that the Stoltenberg family made some attempts to disguise the connection between the children and who the male parent was. The earliest record for Sara is the record cited by Steinnes for her in the 1801 Census. She is listed as Sara Olgersdatter born about 1794 and living with a foster family in Son, Vestby, Akershus.

Steinnes states that it is likely that she lived at one time with a foster parent named Jacob and that is how she came to use the last name of Jacobsdatter. She is next found at her confirmation in 1807. She is listed as Sara Jacobsdatter af Soon. Steinnes mentions that the priest for her confirmation was likely her Uncle Vincent Stoltenberg. She is found as the first of the girls on the right hand page.

The article is over twenty pages long so I am still digesting many of the facts found in the article so we shall see what other things I may find.

Edited by - AntonH on 06/09/2018 23:40:10
Go to Top of Page

PhilMyhre

New Zealand
46 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2018 :  23:48:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lyndal40

While at the U of Minn library recently I was doing some research on my ancestors in a Norwegian Journal called Norsk Slektshistorisk Tidsskrift. While working there I stumbled upon an article written by Asgaut Steinnes on the son of Holger Stoltenberg. He was named Christian Holger Stoltenberg, and is the half brother of Sara Maria and Anna Stoltenberg. The three were all born out of wedlock with the same father Holger Henrichsen Stoltenberg born in 1761 as we have detailed above. He moved to Bergen from Chisitiania in 1797 and is likely the same one found by Jackie in 1801 Census but with an incorrect birth year. It is likely that the mother of Christian was named Ragnhild Knutsdatter Villand but the mother of the two girls Sara Maria and Anna is not named but both were likely born in Bergen and then shipped off to various foster homes and homes of other family members. Brede Plade Stoltenberg and Vincent Stoltenberg uncles of the two girls likely played a role in the upbringing of the girls. A baptism record for Sara Maria does not seem to exist. Steinnes seems to infer that the Stoltenberg family made some attempts to disguise the connection between the children and who the male parent was. The earliest record for Sara is the record cited by Steinnes for her in the 1801 Census. She is listed as Sara Olgersdatter born about 1794 and living with a foster family in Son, Vestby, Akershus.

Steinnes states that it is likely that she lived at one time with a foster parent named Jacob and that is how she came to use the last name of Jacobsdatter. She is next found at her confirmation in 1807. She is listed as Sara Jacobsdatter af Soon. Steinnes mentions that the priest for her confirmation was likely her Uncle Vincent Stoltenberg. She is found as the first of the girls on the right hand page.

The article is over twenty pages long so I am still digesting many of the facts found in the article so we shall see what other things I may find.

Fantastic. Is there anything there on the Myhre Farm - Brumyr ?

Philip Myhre
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2018 :  01:25:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lyndal40

Villand is a farm in Hol Hallingdal Norway. Details about Sara's half brother Christian appear in Folk og Fortid I Hol Bind V pages 182-184 in the Utflytte section.

on page 174 it tells that Ragnhild Knutsdtr was bapt. 26 April 1767 moved to Sande in Vestfold together with her mother Ågot Guttormsdatter and later to Oslo and then to Bergen.

Ragnhild died in Bergen on 21 Dec 1804 unmarried. From about 1790 Ragnhild worked for skipper Johannes Schou at Dronningens gt 7 in Oslo. Another resident there was Holger Stoltenberg. With Holger Ragnhild had 2 children: Christian b 14 Nov 1796 in Oslo and a stillborn baby 20 Dec 1804 in Bergen. Holger was assessor in Bergen from 1797. The child Christian Holgerson was sent to his father's brothers home, Brede Plade Stoltenberg in Tønsberg.

There are a lot more details about Christian including that he married Concordia Susanna Dorothea Lange in 1820 but they had no children and Christian died 14 Apr 1877 apparently in Copenhagen, left huge legacies to many community institutions, and where a street was named after him, Stoltenbergs Gade.

Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2018 :  01:58:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Very little on the history of Ole Hansen Myhre before he married Sara Maria. Only that he had the last name from Myra a farm in the Kongsberg area and that he was baptized on Nov 6, 1790 in Kongsberg. He does list the history of four of the seven children. All of whom died in Stavanger.

Male children of Ole and Sara Maria

Hans Bernt born 1817 died in Stavanger in 1863

Eric born 1819 died in 1865 also died in Stavanger

Carl Johan born 1821 died in Stavanger in 1851

We know about one of the girls

Josefa Bernhardine Nov 3, 1828 bap Jan 4, 1829

Died in Stavanger Dec 22, 1891

So the two boys who went to England had to have been,

Kristian Henrik Nov 3, 1828 bap Jan 4, 1829

Helge August Oct 4, 1831 bap May 12, 1833

Edited by - AntonH on 07/09/2018 02:50:32
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2018 :  04:48:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did wonder if the use of the name Sara Olgersdatter was perhaps a mis-transcription or if the name was spelled as transcribed. Here is the original census record and it is clearly an O.

Right hand page

Link

She was also a witness for two baptisms, including this one on Aug 14, 1801 for a Sven Larsen af Soon and his daughter Helene as Sara Jacobsdatter.

Link

Edited by - AntonH on 07/09/2018 16:48:40
Go to Top of Page

PhilMyhre

New Zealand
46 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2018 :  12:42:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For your information I have had some responses on Digitalarkivverket Forum confirming much of what you wonderful people have provided so far. You may be interested to view the responses on the site under 'Myhre Family Knongsberg'.

I am still trying to find out Helge and now a brother sailing details to England though !!

Thanks to all.

Philip Myhre
Go to Top of Page

PhilMyhre

New Zealand
46 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2018 :  12:44:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PhilMyhre

For your information I have had some responses on Digitalarkivverket Forum confirming much of what you wonderful people have provided so far. You may be interested to view the responses on the site under 'Myhre Family Kongsberg'.

I am still trying to find out Helge and now a brother sailing details to England though !!

Thanks to all.

Philip Myhre
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article