All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Searching for g-g-grandfather d.o.b. 1820s-1840s
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2018 :  16:50:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lorents Segelcke Daae marries in 1906 and in the transcribed record his father is recorded as Iver Daae:

https://www.digitalarkivet.no/en/view/327/pv00000001376186
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2018 :  17:16:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
According to Stavanger Aftenblad published 19 October 1929 page 2 and also in 1st Mai same date page 4
Andreas Tangva and his wife Gudrun Eugenie born Berland are celebrating a 25th wedding anniversary on 22nd.

An obituary was published in the Rogalands Avis on Friday 26 March 1965 on Andreas Tang Wa who was 85 years. No survivors mentioned by name except that it says he was married and had a large family. He came with kaptein Mejlænder.

A better obit lists these survivors of Andreas Tang Wa:
Elisabeth and Knut Enervold
Anny Hadland
Eli and Sigurd Tang Wa
Mary Hansen
Severine and Gustave Tang Wa
Fonglien and Finn Larsen
Bauthei and Tørres Tendeland
Gunvor and Harry Nødland

Edited by - jkmarler on 08/08/2018 02:12:14
Go to Top of Page

michaelchangwong
Starting member

Australia
10 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2018 :  15:17:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jkmarler

The Norwegian Digitalarkivet has a digital set of information on pastoral acts performed in the Norwegian Seaman's mission churches which purports to contain acts from these places in China:

Anhwa
Changsha
Hong Kong
Ningsiang
Shanghai
Sinhwa
Taohwalun
Tungping
Yiyang
Yuankiang

However, I found no person named Carl (any spelling which would include Karl etc.) narrowed to China. Overall looking for any Carl / Karl in the whole base not limiting to China finds 163 Carls. It is possible that he is in the larger group using a different last name such as a patronymic name rather than a farm name.

Interesting problem....

quote:
Originally posted by jwiborg

Searching the Norwegian Digital Archives for females born in China between 1860-1890, residing in Norway gives the following 6 results:

1. Dagny Major, (b 1868 in Saigon, Cochin, China.) Parents Fredrik Christian Seiersted Major & Ditlevine Nathalie Dovra Major. Major is family name.
2. Grace Wallem, (b 1877-NOV-16, Shanghai, China). Wallem is married name.
3. Hanna Therese Margrethe Daae, (b 1883-OCT-21, Chefos, China). Daae is family name.
4. Harriet Mary Helland Madsen, (b 1868-SEP-13, Hong Kong, China). Madsen is married name.
5. Lissy Bull (b. 1886-09-23, China). Bull is family name.
6. Olava Margrethe Schjøth (b 1886-NOV-17, China). 23, China). Schjøth is family name.

quote:
Originally posted by JaneC

Nordahl Ericksen Wallem, born 1902, a son of Grace Jansen and Haakon Wallem, was a pupil at a Bergen school in 1917 (record found at National Digital Archives). He had been living in Hong Kong when he died:
https://www.digitalarkivet.no/en/view/15/pa00000000720829

quote:

Kina is the Norwegian word for China.

Males, any name, born 1860 - 1890 in Kina:
link

In some cases, birth place is noted as "China," and other place names might apply as well.

Search portal:
https://www.digitalarkivet.no/en/

quote:
Originally posted by jwiborg

Males born in China between 1860-1890, residing in Norway:

1. Antonio Amundsen b 1866, Macao, China
2. Oscar Ulderup Bøe b 1868, Hong Kong China
3. Anton Ohlsen b 1870, China
4. Alfred Bonde b 1872-Dec-14, Shanghai, China
5. Ayo b 1876, China
6. Lorents Segelcke Daae b 1876-Dec-10, China
7. August Daae b 1878, China
8. Jacob Gerstenberg b 1878-Sep-01, Amoy, China
9. A. Pan b 1880, China
10. Afo/Andreas Tangva b 1880-Jul-17, Kantong China
11. Torbjørn Steinert b 1883-Mar-25, China
12. Hans Hauge Schjøth b 1885/1886-Sep-06, China
13. Erik Schjøth b 1888, China
14. Sam. M. Bull b 1890-Mar-22, China
15. Thomas Hammer Schlytter Schjøth b 1890-Mar-16, China

quote:

The reason that Grace is of interest, is that if Carl was Carl Jansen Vang, she could possibly be a daughter. A long shot, but she isn't ruled out. Both Nordahl and Rita applied for vehicle permits in Bergen:
link

The nickname "Charlie" is of interest, as that is a nickname for the name Carl. Any slip of info from China or from the family might help, maybe.

JaneC, thanks greatly for your kind help. I am now seeing how you think. In comparison, I am just a novice! So, it is possible that for one of the daughters of “Carl Vang", wherever she was born or eventually located, be it Hong Kong, Shanghai, Dalian, and so on, the pastoral act was performed in a Norwegian Seaman's mission church in Shanghai. As might be the case for Grace Wallem. She might be one of the two children Carl had taken back to Norway with him.

Grace Wallem’s birth date is in line with the other slip of information that Wong Kam-Fuk was the first born. She would be 7 years younger than Kam-Fuk.

Continuing with the process of elimination: a birth date that is reasonably close either side of Kam-Fuk’s birth year of 1870, ignoring the information slip that he was 'first-born', and a mission church that must not be too far from the coast of China as Carl is a seaman. Based on that, Harriet Mary Helland Madsen would also be included. She would be 2 years older than Kam-fuk.

If the same logic as above is applied to the list of males, there would 6-7 candidates. It would be easier at this point to focus on the two female candidates. Will get back to the males later.

Can you please advise how or from where the name “Carl Jansen Vang”, which you mentioned as a possible name, could come about? Would it be: Grace’s maiden name was Grace Jansen, and by Norwegian naming custom her birth surname could have been taken from her father’s middle name?

Michael

Edited by - michaelchangwong on 08/08/2018 15:26:17
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2018 :  16:51:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Grace Wallem seems to be a dead end. Here she is listed as a daughter to Dewitt Clinton Jansen and Ellen Jansen.
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2018 :  14:00:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by michaelchangwong

[quote][i]
Can you please advise how or from where the name “Carl Jansen Vang”, which you mentioned as a possible name, could come about? Would it be: Grace’s maiden name was Grace Jansen, and by Norwegian naming custom her birth surname could have been taken from her father’s middle name?

Too bad about Grace.

Hi Michael, you are welcome and thanks for thanks from me and I am sure from everyone on this hard-working team.

Born in Norway in the first half of the 1800s, Carl was almost certainly given a patronym at birth. A patronym is based on father's first name. A patronym is not a middle name. It is the person's lifelong last name. An additional identifier such as Vang is like a nickname. It may or may not have been used throughout a lifetime. But as the 1800s progressed, more and more Norwegians dropped the patronymic naming custom. Instead they adopted heritable surnames. Probably Carl used Vang consistently and probably gave his children that name, but it is possible as a long shot that children deposited with relatives in Norway might choose to use his patronym instead. That kind of name choosing was part of the milieu of the times. To get a better understanding than this provides, you can read about Norwegian naming customs. An example explanation here

Hope this helps.

Edited by - JaneC on 09/08/2018 18:04:15
Go to Top of Page

michaelchangwong
Starting member

Australia
10 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2018 :  09:15:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A great explanation of the Norwegian naming customs!

A long shot. Is there a register in Norway of Norwegian honorary consuls or high officials who held these positions between 1870 and 1910? Carl was rumoured to have left Norway and returned to China to work as a ship pilot, and was also an honorary consul or high official with the Norwegian Consulate in China. I read somewhere that the former Kingdom of Sweden gave all Norwegian records to Norway when Norway became an independent country.

My relatives in Hongkong have also suggested that maybe a "Carl Vang" can be found in shipping registers for old shipping companies that plied the waters between Hong Kong, Shanghai, Port Arthur (Lushan) and Dalian. I have asked them to follow it up. It is interesting that the number of steamships commissioned to ply their trades between these ports and up Yangtse River grew significantly from 1870 onwards.

Michael

Edited by - michaelchangwong on 10/08/2018 09:23:11
Go to Top of Page

michaelchangwong
Starting member

Australia
10 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2018 :  08:31:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been focusing on looking for the 2 children Carl might have taken back to Norway with him. Based on information strips, that would be either two girls, or one girl and one boy.

On the males, my research hasn't completed as yet. So far, I came across three born in China/Kina who appeared to have lived with families with surnames not the same as the boy (uncle, aunty plus cousins, perhaps), or the same (uncle etc, or even own family having came back from China). So they could have been deposited with relatives in Norway after being born in China. There are two list of males: one with birthplace filtered to "Kina", and other to "China". Much longer than the list of females. I am still wrapping my head around the lists of males.

Of the shorter list of 6 females, Grace Wallem, (b 1877-NOV-16, Shanghai, China) has been eliminated as per earlier posts. I have been focussing on Harriett Mary Helland Madsen (b 1868-SEP-13, Hong Kong, China). The 4 other females left on the list, kindly supplied by Jwiborg in an earlier post, had their parents clearly identified with no 'sounds like' to "Carl Vang". There was only one record of Harriett found on the Digitalarkivet. That was sourced from the 1922 census, when she was of age 54. She was in the same residence as Amund Helland Madsen (b 1861-12-04) and Karoline Lid (b1896-FEB-01, in Lindaas). There were many 9 records for Amund: 7 census, one military ballot, and one burial (burial date 1930-NOV-17 at Domkirken parish). Amund's family surname is in fact "Helland Madsen". Harriett Mary didn't appear on any of Amund's census records except the one in 1922 (when he was of age 61), so It can be safely assumed Harriett was married to Amund at some point and changed her surname to Helland Madsen. I then tracked Karoline Lid. She was listed in the 1910 census as Karolina Arnesdatter Li (b 1895-FEB-01 in Myking, Lindaas, Bergen) with 7 other members of her family, surname Li. Is this a Norwegian surname? In the 1922 census, she was listed as Karoline Lid. Karoline was then listed in Emigrants Bergen 1874-1930, as having emigrated on 1923-AUG-28, on the line Canadian Pacific III with destination as "Amk Everett Wash"(Everett Washington USA?). So, I have eliminated her as a daughter of the Helland Madsen.

This mysterious "Harriett Mary" is getting more intriguing! Maybe she was born in Hong Kong in 1968 and did not immigrate to Norway till late in life. Maybe she went back to Norway with Carl and records containing her details aren't on Digitalarkivet except the one for census 1922 after she returned to Norway once again? Maybe she travelled back to China with Carl very early in her life? Who were her parents? What was her surname before marriage? Did she have any children? Where could have Harriett and Amund married at? So many questions. Would be grateful for any help or points as to what best to do next.

Michael

Edited by - michaelchangwong on 16/08/2018 08:42:34
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2018 :  09:03:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From the newspapers, not sure what the significance is. Full access only to Norwegian libraries, this is the OCR:

Norsk Kundgjørelsestidende published 1 Nov 1934:

"...«om nu alene innehas av Paal Sund Madsen. Lerken,, 27. oktober 1934. Paal Sund Madsen. Harriet Mary Helland Madsen. Registrert idag. Bergens byskriverembede, 19. okt. 1934. Johan de Besche. (9M) Gudrum…"

Tilgang i norske bibliotek

Paal Sund Madsen is a nephew to Harriet by dint of her marriage to Amund. PSM is the son of Amund's brother Einar.

Edited by - jkmarler on 16/08/2018 09:40:47
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2018 :  09:20:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is the text from the Gravminner I Norge listing for her:
Name Harriet Mary Madsen
Birth date 1309 1868
Died date 0506 1950
Strip of field Møllendal
Square K10
Row 02
Grave number 24
Obituary R.I.P.
Cemetery Møllendal
County/Municipality Hordaland/Bergen
Registrations by Slekt og Data
Transcriber Minde,Stokken,Sletten,Tellefsen,Sjursen,Opskar,Wågenes,Solheim,Lilleeng,Asbjørnsen,Askeland,Lindgren,Knutrud,Eknes,Mork,Lier
Registration finished November 2005 (2/3 av kirkegården)
Notes Ingebjørg Minde har tatt Haukeland og deler av Møllendal. Anne-M. Stokken, Steinar Sletten, Jarl R. Tellefsen, Roald Sjursen, Kjetil Opskar har tatt Grønneviken. Victor Dahl har fotografert felt G00 og E00 på Møllendal. Bidratt med bilder: Eskil Krogstad, Unni Fornes, Inger-Lise Øverås, Birger Huun, Thomas Bjørnestad Pettersen, Aili Vibeke Mjåtvedt Holst, Astri S. Tellevik
Photographer Minde,Hauge,Stokken,Tellefsen,Opskar,Dahl,Wågenes,Solheim,Knutrud,
About the registration Gravminnene
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2018 :  09:28:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Amund Helland Madsen was still single in 1910:
https://www.digitalarkivet.no/en/census/person/pf01036708058565

Married when he died in 1930:
https://www.digitalarkivet.no/en/view/267/pg00000000489587

Marriage report in newspaper Bergens Tidende Thursday 18 April 1916 page 2 col 3:

"Egteskap blev igaar I Denmark ingaat mellem enkefru Sass og kjøpmand Amund Helland Madsen."

Edited by - jkmarler on 16/08/2018 09:53:24
Go to Top of Page

michaelchangwong
Starting member

Australia
10 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2018 :  11:32:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jackie, I noticed the bottom of the Gravminner listing read in part (using Google translator), "...Victor Dahl has photographed fields G00 and E00 at Møllendal." I wonder if that means photographs of the gravestones had been taken? Harriet's grave is indeed in the strip of field Møllendal. It would be a great help if a photo of Harriet's headstone is available, as there might be information on the stone that can help further. Many thanks.

Michael
Go to Top of Page

Borge
Veteran Moderator

Norway
1293 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2018 :  13:19:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would suggest starting with identifying Carl Vang in the Norwegian records prior to traveling to China. It would be a great lead if we could find the year of birth. There are a just a few candidates.

It does not appear that we can find a good match for Carl Vang (or Wang) in the the Norwegian records within the time-frame when he should have returned to Norway from China. Neither do we find the children. Could he have taken them elsewhere when he left China? Australia or America? How sure are you that they actually returned to Norway?

Børge Solem
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2018 :  15:42:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by michaelchangwong

Jackie, I noticed the bottom of the Gravminner listing read in part (using Google translator), "...Victor Dahl has photographed fields G00 and E00 at Møllendal." I wonder if that means photographs of the gravestones had been taken? Harriet's grave is indeed in the strip of field Møllendal. It would be a great help if a photo of Harriet's headstone is available, as there might be information on the stone that can help further. Many thanks.

There is the same photo attached to all the Madsen burials which occurred in the L Sigvard Madsen burial plot at the Møllendal cemetery. At least I didn't find any individual markers pictured for the individuals identified as being there. For some reason, links to the records in Gravminner are fugitive. Gravminner I Norge website: https://www.disnorge.no/gravminner/index.php?language=engelsk

From the marriage report, it appears that Amund and probably Harriet (widow woman Sass) married in Denmark in 1916, why do that there?

The earliest Carl Vang reference in the newspapers with a sea-going occupation mentioned was transcribed above, occured in a Bergen paper, a slight connection of location?

Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2018 :  16:32:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Harriet Mary born 1868 in Hong Kong,

Found in registry of inhabitants of Copenhagen:
link

Married to Christian Carl Vilhelm Sass,
born 2-8-1862, Itzehoe, Holstein

Marriage record
Christian Karl Wilhelm Sass
Harriet Mary Helland
link

Edited by - JaneC on 16/08/2018 16:55:16
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 16/08/2018 :  17:06:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Harriet Mary Helland in Denmark census 1880:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QL64-3K3T
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article