All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Family of Elias Olsen
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Audlin
Starting member

Australia
19 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2018 :  03:40:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There was a recent post concerning my father giving a photo of Alfred Martin Telstad and a separate photo of Alma Gunarda Telstad, sister. I am a bit confused as to why the surname is Telstad not Olsen. Does this mean Elias Olsen should have been Elias Telstad and maybe he changed his name? Or is Telstad a name added to Olsen denoting an area of Norway?

Audrey Lindsay

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9141 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2018 :  04:18:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Telstad is what is called a farm name. At some point in time the family was associated with the farm of Telstad. Here is an article on subject Norwegian Farm Names

Link

Edited by - AntonH on 27/08/2018 04:19:06
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2018 :  04:26:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Telstad is likely what is called a "farm name." The classic Norwegian name consists of 3 parts, the first name which is given you at your baptism, the patronymic which is based on your father's given name and with either son or datter added to it depending on your gender. The third name is the farm name like Telstad which you append to your name for as long as you live at that place. But of course such customs can be broken and in 1923 Norway passed a law requiring people to pick a surname and stick with it.

But in your other topic the forumites found some issues with your original suppositions about which Elias Olsen was your father. Do you have any information about your father from Canadian records which you could share that might resolve issues?
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2018 :  09:47:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
His father was Ole Kristian Martines Langnes.
Alfed could lived as Alfred Martin Olsen but used Telstad.
Telstad is a farm in Svolvær

Edited by - Kåarto on 27/08/2018 09:52:06
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2018 :  10:30:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Audlin, the name "Telstad" has nothing to do with your father. Your other thread on "your" Elias became long and confusing. Maybe a recap can help.

In your other thread, you began by asking the forum to research Elias Olsen born 02 July 1899 in Vagan. You gave the names of that boy's birth family.

Therefore the forum DID investigate that Elias. It was found that he grew up, lived in Norway, used the name "Telstad" instead of Olsen, had a brother named Alfred Martin Telstad and a sister Alma Telstad. He married twice, in Norway (1940 and 1951), and died in Norway 10.3.1963. He is buried at Baldersheim gravplass in Hordaland.

That's not your father.

Your father used the name Olsen and died in Canada.

The search for your father was hampered by a lack of correct information about him.

lyndal40 found an online family tree by your daughter-in-law that includes a grave memorial for Elias "Bill" Olsen. Here is the memorial information provided by Holly in the online tree:

Canadian Headstone Index
Elias Olsen
Cemetery: Les Jardins Commémoratifs Lakeview Memorial Gardens (Pointe-Claire)
Burial Place: Montréal, Québec, Canada
Notes: Elias (Bill) Olsen May 28, 1900 - Mar. 9, 1952

Is that your dad? Is the birth date correct?

A 1924 passenger record was investigated at length, and that passenger wasn't your dad either.

In sum, the other thread has LOTS of information that is not about your father, but hardly any information that IS about him.

The forum wants to help. It's great that you are checking back in, and if an expanded account of your Elias is possible, that would be welcome.

Edited by - JaneC on 28/08/2018 02:59:38
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2018 :  12:26:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a link to a Norwegian migrant named Hans Elias Olsen Ness b about 1900 going to Winnepeg, Canada in 1923, your guy?
https://www.digitalarkivet.no/en/view/8/pe00000000750029

Edited by - jkmarler on 27/08/2018 12:29:17
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2018 :  13:50:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some search ideas ...

The newest Canada census available is 1921. However, FamilySearch website says this:

"Personal information from later censuses is not available, but some information on deceased persons is available from the National Registration of 1940. Write for application form to:
Census Operations Division
Statistics Canada
Ottawa, ON K1A 0T6
Canada"

Other records to seek:

Elias first marriage
Second marriage (if any)
Work permit / temporary residency card (if any)
Application for Canadian citizenship
Property ownership records (if any)
Death record
Obituary
Cemetery info (who owned the lot, who purchased the headstone)
Personal memorabilia: postcards, Christmas cards, letters, photos, etc.

Let's hope it's possible to learn more about Elias.

Edited by - JaneC on 27/08/2018 16:34:44
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2018 :  14:43:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Montreal Gazette newspaper is still available online in the Google News Archive. The site is a bit quirky these days, searches for newspaper mentions prior to 1970 will produce no results, so you have to browse, issue by issue, page by page. Perhaps you will snag a news article about the crash death of Elias Olson on 9 March 1952 and also find an obituary with more biographical information. Good Luck!

Link:
https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=Fr8DH2VBP9sC&dat=19860107&b_mode=2&hl=en

Edited by - jkmarler on 27/08/2018 14:49:40
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2018 :  17:49:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jkmarler

The Montreal Gazette newspaper is still available online in the Google News Archive. The site is a bit quirky these days, searches for newspaper mentions prior to 1970 will produce no results, so you have to browse, issue by issue, page by page. Perhaps you will snag a news article about the crash death of Elias Olson on 9 March 1952 and also find an obituary with more biographical information. Good Luck!

Link:
https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=Fr8DH2VBP9sC&dat=19860107&b_mode=2&hl=en

Great tip,Jackie!

The Montreal Gazette - Mar 10, 1952, page 17:

Edited by - jwiborg on 27/08/2018 19:42:25
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2018 :  19:16:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Audrey; please disregard the photos of Alfred Martin Telstad and Alma Gunarda Telstad given to you in a previous post. Alfred and Alma are not related to YOUR Elias Olsen. Elias Olsen is a common name in Norway, and although Alfred and Alma had a brother named Elias Olsen, this Elias did NOT emigrate. He died in Norway.

The reason for this confusion was incomplete and inadequate information to begin with. I'm sorry for this confusion.

To pinpoint YOUR Elias Olsen in Norway, we need to collect more info from American sources, like census'es, naturalisation, imigration etc. Maybe one of the records contain his d.o.b.?

And finally, the Elias Olsen on the Carmania passenger list from April 1924 CAN'T be your father. Excellent research on this Forum has proven that this Elias Olsen died in 1958 in New Bedford, Massachusetts.

So when did YOUR Elias immigrate...?

Edited by - jwiborg on 27/08/2018 21:24:58
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2018 :  19:22:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A great find, jwiborg! But of course, a very sad day. Did the accident happen 09 March 1952?

Also, thanks jwiborg for reiterating my message about the confusion in the earlier thread. That helps.

Edited by - JaneC on 27/08/2018 20:15:25
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2018 :  19:34:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JaneC

A great find, jwiborg! But of course, a very sad day. Did the accident 09 March 1952?

Also, thanks jwiborg for reiterating my message about the confusion in the earlier thread. That helps.

Yes, the article is from The Montreal Gazette - Mar 10, 1952, page 17.
It says "10 o'clock last night ", thus 09 March 1952 10pm.
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2018 :  19:36:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Similar in French

Edited by - jwiborg on 27/08/2018 19:38:34
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2018 :  20:56:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
According to this previous finding by Anton, our Elias is born 28 May 1900. I would reckon May 28th is the correct date, but year could be +- one or two. The newspaper article from 1952 says he was 55, ie born ab. 1897.

Canadian Headstone Index, 1840-2017
Name: Elias Olsen
Cemetery: Les Jardins Commémoratifs Lakeview Memorial Gardens (Pointe-Claire)
Burial Place: Montréal, Québec, Canada
Notes: Elias (Bill) Olsen May 28, 1900 - Mar. 9, 1952

Do we have any candidates for Elias at current?
A couple of candidates born May 28th have been identified, but they have all been ruled out, one by one...

Edited by - jwiborg on 27/08/2018 21:30:17
Go to Top of Page

lynn peterson432
Medium member

USA
168 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2018 :  01:08:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Audrin do you have a birth a certificate
Go to Top of Page

Audlin
Starting member

Australia
19 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2018 :  04:44:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Everyone - especially JaneC, jkmarler, jwiborg and Lyndal40. Ok so I have been chasing the wrong Elias. My mother died last November and in going through her papers my sister and I were unable to find ANY information on our father. There isn't a birth certificate or personal papers belonging to my father. He was indeed on the SS Carmania which sailed from Stavanger, Norway 18/4/24. The document is hard to read but my father did sign it and stated his age as 26. He arrived in Quebec, Canada in April 1924 (no specific day is mentioned just the month). My Elias married my mother on October 2nd, 1943. He was killed on March 9, 1952. I have copies of the death notice, the newspaper notices of the accident and the result of the trial (2 years prison for the driver). That is the only information my sister and I have. She has contacted the Canadian Government to see if he became a naturalised citizen but has yet to hear from them. So I will keep on looking. I do remember my mother saying he was from Bergen.

Audrey Lindsay
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article