All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Elias Olsen
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2018 :  07:27:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a page with information about Saguenay:
http://iancoombe.tripod.com/id19.html

I hope that someone who is Facebooked will look at the documents and report here. I don't do Facebook.
Go to Top of Page

lynn peterson432
Medium member

USA
168 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2018 :  01:04:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Audrin you can share the i documents you have wi]th your daughter in law heather and she can post them public on facebook
Go to Top of Page

Audlin
Starting member

Australia
19 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2018 :  01:28:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I emailed them to P Wiborg and he can share them when appropriate

Audrey Lindsay
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2018 :  19:07:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2018 :  19:17:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hei Jan,

Thanks for doing this. Are there any others?
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2018 :  19:25:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many thanks for sharing these, Audlin, and posting them, jwiborg.

Unfortunately only one of these documents refers to Audlin's father: the marriage certificate.

The other two records were not found among Audlin's father's papers. They were downloaded from the internet, after a modern day person searched for Elias in travel records and found the (different) Elias on the Carmania in 1924. Although this person was definitely worth checking out, this has been done, through the painstaking and skillful search of lyndal40, which shows it is a different Elias Olsen in those two records.

There is a lot of identifying detail in the two records referring to the different Elias Olsen - including place of origin. That is why it was possible to find the birth, travels, marriage, and death of that Elias - all of which make it impossible he could be Audlin's dad.

Sadly, the marriage certificate does not name the parents, birth date, or birth place of Audlin's Elias Olsen.

If Elias Olsen (father of Audlin) became a Canadian citizen, there should be naturalization papers that tell more about him.

His death record also may provide needed specific details.

In addition, Audlin's mother may have written or provided information for an obit.

Edited by - JaneC on 18/09/2018 20:52:45
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2018 :  19:59:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This was the only documents I received.
I agree that it's only the marriage certificate that shows the correct Elias Olsen. It would be great to know if the actual marriage record of Oct 2nd 1943 would contain his d.o.b.
The Carmania arrival shows an Elias Olsen arriving in Quebec in 1924, but it's a namesake.

I'm starting to believe that the Elias we found that escaped from the ship Farmand of Bergen in 1914 is the correct one.

To prove this; you have two options:
1) Locate a Canadian record of your Elias Olsen that confirms his d.o.b. is May 16th 1895.
2) Perform a DNA test with your potential norwegian cousin to verify a close family relationship. A DNA match would confirm if this Elias is your father.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2018 :  08:32:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, the 1921 Canadian census is available in Ancestry, or so I'm told. Perhaps Elias or Bill could be found in it?

Otherwise, IF the Elias from 1914 is the man, then there are nearly 30 blank years on his slate.

It will be a long time before I think DNA analysis could be that helpful. All I can say is Christain Trom to that....
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2018 :  11:39:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As was said, the sister of Elias Olsen Skjoldheim has a granddaughter who may be willing to participate in a DNA test. The granddaughter's relationship to Audlin would be "first cousin once removed." Jwiborg used different terminology, but in any case it's a close relationship (if it exists). The chance of an autosomal DNA test detecting a "first cousin once removed" is extremely high.

Perhaps a better concise explanation can be found, but for now here's a chart from the company 23andme.

---------------
Quote from 23andme:

The table below shows the average likelihood of detecting cousins of different degrees:

Cousin relationship Probability of detecting
1st Cousin or closer ~100%
2nd Cousin >99%
3rd Cousin ~90%
4th Cousin ~45%
5th Cousin ~15%
6th Cousin and beyond <5%

link

----------------

A person can be adopted and not know it, etc. Obviously his/ her DNA won't match anyone in the family, so it's best to have two or more people on both sides test.

If this were my search, getting Elias's death record would be my next step.

It's striking that the sister's granddaughter doesn't know where her Elias went to (other than that he seemingly left Norway), and Audlin doesn't know where her Elias came from.

Edited by - JaneC on 19/09/2018 21:39:08
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2018 :  12:31:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JaneC

It's striking that the sister's granddaughter doesn't know where her Elias went to (other than that he seemingly left Norway), and Audlin doesn't know where her Elias came from.

Well, Audlin did mention that she had heard her father being from Bergen, and Skjoldheim is in Fana, Bergen.
Go to Top of Page

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2018 :  12:34:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good point! I was thinking of what's known with certainty... Elias exists within living memory, and we'd expect both families to know the story of their Elias, so the gap in knowing, on both sides, is what struck me most. But yes, the location Bergen is a striking parallel.

Edited by - JaneC on 19/09/2018 13:06:36
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2018 :  16:45:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the 1921 Canadian Census there are only 83 males born in Norway 1897 plus/minus five, last name Ols*. . None living in Quebec, only two live in Ontario, the rest in the west. None of them are named Elias or any name close to that and none named Bill. Two named William, a single farmer living in Alberta and a son living in Manitoba.
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2018 :  17:01:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are some other options. However a quick look at them on my part did not seem to go anywhere.

This one from Tvedt, Vest-Agder.

Elias Olsen
in the New York, Passenger and Crew Lists (including Castle Garden and Ellis Island), 1820-1957
Name: Elias Olsen
Arrival date: 30 Apr 1917
Birth Date: abt 1893
Birth Location: Nrw
Birth Location Other: tuert
Ethnicity/ Nationality: Scandinavian
Port of Departure: Bergen
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Bergensfjord

Probably this guy in 1900 Norwegian Census.

And also from Vest-Agder

Elias Emanuel Olsen
in the New York, Passenger and Crew Lists (including Castle Garden and Ellis Island), 1820-1957
Name: Elias Emanuel Olsen
Arrival date: 28 Jul 1913
Birth Date: abt 1896
Birth Location: Norway
Birth Location Other: lyngdal
Place of Origin: Scandinavia
Port of Departure: Kristiania, Norway
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Kristianiafjord

Probably this guy in the 1900 Census

Edited by - AntonH on 19/09/2018 17:04:50
Go to Top of Page

lynn peterson432
Medium member

USA
168 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2018 :  01:04:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i also check the montreallpapers if there was any photos of the wedding couple nothing i could find they usually mention the parents name
Go to Top of Page

Audlin
Starting member

Australia
19 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2018 :  01:42:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi everyone - there seems to be lots of dead ends. My sister is searching on the Canada end, also a close friend of mine in the UK with the police department is attempting to get Elias Olsen's death certificate and police report through Freedom of Information (however, we are not sure that exists in the province of Quebec). So if my sister and I decide to go through a DNA test (at my cost) who do we contact to start the procedure?

Audrey Lindsay
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article