All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 PASSENGER LISTS AND EMIGRANTS
 Hunting Passenger Lists
 Passenger lists for people who came to visit
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

maybellemn

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2018 :  19:07:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are there passenger lists for people that came to America (to visit families) and then returned to Norway? Or some way to find out when someone came and returned? I should add more to this - my great -great grandparents Ole Olson 12/19/1824-2/7/1908 and his wife Kristina Andreasdatter Sunde 11/29/1823-2/26/1914 had a picture taken in Belmond, Iowa but they all died in Rogaland, Norway.
I have this picture in my collection but no date. They and my great grandparents died in Rogaland, Norway but my Grandma Christina Peterson Sunde Haugen and 4 of her family all started out in Belmond, Iowa. They all passed away here in the USA.

Edited by - maybellemn on 18/09/2018 21:25:45

JaneC
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3020 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2018 :  21:09:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Generally speaking, people who arrived in the USA should be listed on incoming ship passenger manifests or airline records. This is true no matter whether they were emigrating, or just visiting. Exceptions obviously exist.

No passenger manifest exists to show a visitor's travel home. Other evidence might be suggestive of when the visitor returned to Norway. As just one example, incoming ship passenger manifests started to include more details as time went by, and one question asked was, how long do you intend to stay in the USA.

Edited by - JaneC on 18/09/2018 21:14:29
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article