All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Help with Hans Johnsen baptism record
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

RayPederson
Starting member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2018 :  01:41:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://media.digitalarkivet.no/en/view/1350/131?indexing=

I would like help understanding and reading this information. Hans is my maternal great grandfather.

This is the record for Hans Johnsen, born 3 Jul 1843, number 80. Father is John Hansen, mother is Else? Hansdatter. It looks like the information is this column ends with where the baptism took place, either :Boe (Bø) or :Lunde. Are those farm names after Hansd.?
?gedalen and Go?i? Any indication if the parents were born in Bø? I can't find any parishes or farms with variations of these names.

Next seems to be the godparents names. I can read the names in this column, and most are followed by Go?i? With one other possible farm name. Are these farm names or something else? I am not sure if or how the godparents are related yet, but it doesn't seem to be the grandparents as there is no Hans.

Before I continue to read through Bo church registries it would really help to have clarification of this baptism record. I am trying to find Hans Johnsen's parents. I did find a record for Jon Hansen born in Bø, Telemark in 1819, but I have not been able to make a positive connection. I can not find anything in the Bo church registries for Else? Hansdatter. So far no marriage records for John and Else either.

Thank you for any help.
Ray

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9141 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2018 :  03:23:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The baptism record reads to me as John Hansen and Else Hansdatter Skogedalen under Grivi Boe. That is the subfarm Skogedalen under the main farm Grivi in Bø parish Telemark.

In the 1865 Norwegian Census there is a John Hansen born 1806 in Bø living with his daughter on Skogedalen.

Hmm, a little strange record. Here is the baptism record for Asberg. The father is John Hansen the farm is Skogedalen but the mother is listed as Else Anundsdattter.

confirmation record for Asberg

This is likely the baptism record for Else Anundsdtter from 1804

Link

Father is Anund Iversen and mother is Asber Olsdatter

Edited by - AntonH on 16/10/2018 22:39:07
Go to Top of Page

RayPederson
Starting member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2018 :  23:01:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you! So it seems likely that Hans' baptism record incorrectly has Else as Hansd. instead of Anundsd. I was stuck on finding Else Hansd. I may have found a birth record for Joen in 1803, but do have questions about reading these earlier registries.

In the record you linked for Else, no. 73, there is a column after it with a 20. Then there is a column with "..." (Above that is 53), next is the column labeled "? and died". What do the numbers indicate? Also to help me understand script letters, what is the first word in the column "? og döde"?

Thanks again. I am still learning how to read these registries and the old script.

Ray
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2018 :  23:47:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
# 20-21 IS A NEW COLUMN FOR "ÆGTEVIEDE" WEDDINGS.
#48-55 ARE "DØDE" DEAD
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9141 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2018 :  00:24:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes this parish book is a little confusing. The parish priests attempted to put a lot of information on one page. The first section is for births and gives the baptism date. Thus Else is the 73 recorded baptism for the year in the column marked Døbt. Also on the same page but in the far right column the parish is using it to also record the marriages and the deaths ie Ægteviede and Døde. So in the furthest right column they also recorded the 20th marriage of the year between Christopher and Kari

Here is a useful online dictionary that does have this word. Many of the online dictinaries that I have for Norwegian words do not have this word.

ægteviede = married

Link

Edited by - AntonH on 15/10/2018 00:30:44
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9141 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2018 :  00:37:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is the family of Anund Iversen in the 1801 Census. Also includes his mother Mari Anundsdattter.

Link
Go to Top of Page

RayPederson
Starting member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2018 :  00:48:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aha, thank you, that makes it easy to understand.

I found this marriage record for John Hansen Skogedal and Else Anundsd. Again it's very hard for me to read. This is from the Sauherad church registry, so perhaps Else is from Sauherad, Telemark?

Edit:. Which might explain how the church in Bø got her father's name wrong.

Edited by - RayPederson on 15/10/2018 00:51:51
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9141 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2018 :  00:51:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sometimes you can find information and perhaps a correction by also looking at the confirmation records. In this case it only makes me wonder if we correct in assuming that Else has the last name of Anundsdatter rather than Hansdatter. Here in this confirmation for Hans his mother is still called Else Hansdtter.

Hans Johnsen Skogedalen

Go to Top of Page

RayPederson
Starting member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2018 :  01:01:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmm... Yes, it could be Hansdatter after all. I have seen other trees with John Hansen Skogedalen and Else Anundsd. that list several children including Asberg with no mention of Hans. I will do some more digging.

Edited by - RayPederson on 15/10/2018 01:21:11
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9141 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2018 :  01:58:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the Ancestry database there are only two children born to a John Hansen and a Else in Bo. The data base probably is not complete for that part of Telemark and thus does not sow children born in the early years. from 1800 to 1840.

Hans Johnsen
in the Norway, Select Baptisms, 1634-1927
Name: Hans Johnsen
Birth Date: 3 jul 1843
Baptism Date: 16 jul 1843
Baptism Place: Bo, Telemark, Norway
Father: John Hansen
Mother: Else Hansdr
FHL Film Number: 278270
Reference ID: 2:1SP0206

That one you know but here is another one where the mother has the last name of Anundsdatter.

Johnsdatter
Name: Johnsdatter
Birth Date: 15 okt 1845 (15 Oct 1845)
Baptism Place: Bo, Telemark, Norway
Death Date: 15 okt 1845 (15 Oct 1845)
Father: John Hansen
Mother: Else Anundsdr
FHL Film Number: 278270
Reference ID: 2:1SP0WD0

No original record was found in either baptism or burial records

Edited by - AntonH on 15/10/2018 02:12:57
Go to Top of Page

RayPederson
Starting member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2018 :  02:14:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was looking at family trees in Ancestry. It looks like you may have access. If so, here is one tree that lists those two and more, but not Hans. Not that I trust them to be complete, as there are many bad trees on ancestry.

family tree

If I shouldn't link something like this I will edit
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9141 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2018 :  02:39:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes I can use Ancestry.com so the Tree is of interest.

I was in the middle of looking at the Death Records, and I think the one I just posted below has the same name Kaasa as the Tree. That is Kaasa under Eiken

Taking a look at the death records from 1843 forward for any Else either Hansdatter or Anundsdatter

1847 Else Hansdatter age 58

Edited by - AntonH on 16/10/2018 02:32:48
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9141 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2018 :  02:49:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh this one is interesting.

1848 Else Anundsdatter age 44 Skogedalen u Grivi

The death year minus age gives her a birth year of 1804, which matches well with the baptism record for Else Anundsdatter posted above in my first post.

These are the only two Else that are of interest in the Death Records from 1843 to 1865.

Edited by - AntonH on 15/10/2018 03:14:38
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9141 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2018 :  03:25:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So this is the Jon Hansen that the Tree gives as the person married to Else Anundsdatter

Jon Hansen
Name: Jon Hansen
Baptism Date: 21 des 1806 (21 Dec 1806)
Baptism Place: Sauherad, Telemark, Norway
Father: Hans Olsen
Mother: Ambior Jonsdr
FHL Film Number: 127035
Reference ID: 2:11WHSLS

Edited by - AntonH on 15/10/2018 03:41:24
Go to Top of Page

RayPederson
Starting member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2018 :  04:23:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am still browsing but with no luck. The 2 records for Hans that list Else Hansdatter concern me. I also compared Hans' godparents with Asberg's godparents and none are the same. I am not sure what the tradition is for godparents, however.

Go to Top of Page

RayPederson
Starting member

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2018 :  16:58:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all your help lyndal. I am trying to connect the dots one way or another. I will post again if I find anything definite.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article