All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Trying to find info on sawritz johnson
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Steveskoien
Starting member

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2018 :  22:46:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It seems hard tracing it back when the last name was always different.

Steve Skoien
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2018 :  23:37:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You may not have noticed in the baptism record for Mathilde in the fifth column is the word uægte This is an abbreviation for utenfor ægteskapet meaning that the child was born out of wedlock.

In the 1865 Norwegian Census this is the most likely person I have found to match Lina Hansdatter mother of Mathilde.

Father is Hans Larsen and mother is Gunild Larsdatter

1865 Census

Edited by - AntonH on 17/10/2018 23:52:13
Go to Top of Page

Steveskoien
Starting member

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2018 :  23:48:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had no clue what that word meant. In the next couple years I am planning on traveling to Norway. Is there a way I can find out where the farm was? I was to kinda see where my ancestors originated from? I'm sure I'll never find a way to trace them all the way back.

Steve Skoien
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2018 :  00:59:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 1865 Norwegian census puts the family in Søndre Land district of Oppland, Norway. Oppland is clearly marked on maps of Norway such as -
https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/Norway_Genealogy
(but there are many websites where you can see exactly such information)
If you stick with the one I've given you just above and click on Oppland as listed just below the map that website will take you to a map of Oppland and show you where Søndre Land is located.

Start your own collection of websites which will teach you about researching your Norwegian ancestry. It is a great great hobby.

One for the collection - https://otjoerge.wordpress.com/norwegian-american-dictionary/ae-o-a-0-9/#0

Note: Do NOT count on ever finding what you've called a family crest. The family were simple farmers.

Editing only to add two of my personal OLD favorite websites for beginning to learn about Norwegian ancestry. They both helped me learn and gather a HUGE family tree of information. Enjoy!
http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~norway/articles.html
http://sites.rootsweb.com/~wgnorway/index.html

Edited by - Hopkins on 18/10/2018 01:17:38
Go to Top of Page

Steveskoien
Starting member

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2018 :  01:03:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much.

Steve Skoien
Go to Top of Page

ToreL
Advanced member

Norway
818 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2018 :  12:33:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the 1865 census, Lauritz did not live at the main farm but at the "satellite"/dependent farm Sagstuen. I found it on a map, and it has the coordinates 60°48'56.72"N 10° 5'24.79"E. To find out more about the farm, you may also contact the nearby Lands Museum.

Edited by - ToreL on 18/10/2018 12:51:58
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2018 :  16:49:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Part from this article

Link

Skøien (gård i Fluberg sogn)
Skøien

Område Fluberg
Kommune Søndre Land
Fylke Oppland

Gården Skøien ligger helt nord i sognet Fluberg ved nordenden av Randsfjorden, ved elva Etnas utløp. Uttalen av navnet er Skøe. I Diplomatarium Norvegicum er Skøien nevnt 1436–1437; Thord Eyvindssøn bevitnet at for over 60 år siden hadde Ketil Jonssøn fått halve nordre Skodin gård i Land av Ole Gunnarssøn.

Rough Translation

Skøien (farm in the Fluberg parish)
Skøien

area Fluberg
Municipality of Søndre Land
county Oppland

The farm Skøien is located in the north of Fluberg, at the northern end of the Randsfjord, at the river Etna's outlet. The pronunciation of the name is Skøe. In the Diplomatarium Norvegicum Skøien is mentioned 1436-1437; Thord Eyvindsson said that over 60 years Ketil Jonsson had received northern half o Skodin farm in Land of Ole Gunnarsson.

I did not find the farm Skøien but it would be or would have been in the general location of Skøe. In this map program put in Skøein, Fluberg and it will take you to the location at the north end of the Randefjord.

Link

Edited by - AntonH on 18/10/2018 16:57:09
Go to Top of Page

Steveskoien
Starting member

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2018 :  17:52:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I looked at the 2 maps and they both have skoe and skoien in the same place so I'm guessing that's the home farm and the other place is where my great great grandfather lived.

Steve Skoien
Go to Top of Page

jgranzin
New on board

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2019 :  20:36:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steve, it's Lauritz Johansen Skoien, christened 25 Apr 1860 at the Fluberg Church in Sondre Land. He died 15 Oct 1923 in Dane County, Wisconsin. He's buried at the West Koshkonong Lutheran Church Cemetery. Lauritz is the half-brother of my great-grandfather, Martin Johnson. I have their genealogy as far back as it's recorded. I've also been to Skoien and the Fluberg Church. I have many pictures that I can email you. Can you send me your email address?

Janet

Janet D Granzin
Go to Top of Page

Steveskoien
Starting member

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 28/12/2019 :  20:56:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sskoien33@gmail.com. I am interested in everything you can send me. My grandma tells me half kept the Johnson name and half took skoien she said she thought the Johnson's settled in South Dakota I think

Steve Skoien
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article