All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Help needed confirming ancestry
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

SvenOlsen

Netherlands
48 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2019 :  16:21:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got a match on MyHeritage and it says this: "I panteregisteret for Strengereid tinglag (Nedenes sorenskriverembede) 1770-1799, nr. 4 finner vi følgende innførsel:'1791 den 11 (?) Juni haver Ommund Halvorsen (Hagestad) fæstet til Torsten Torjusen en Plads under denne Gaard, kaldet Haglemyren, med aarlig Afgift 2 rd....' (med referanse til panteboken,litr. P, fol. 127)." and "Flyttet nedover fra Vinje til Hagestad i Holt. 1787. (ukjent kilde)"

Also for Torje Torstensen I got a match which lists the following childern: "Tosten Lind Torjesen, Ole Terjesen, Andreas Torjesen, Ane Kirstine Torjesdatter, Aslauv Hellene Torjesdatter"

Edited by - SvenOlsen on 20/01/2019 16:24:02
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2019 :  16:54:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually in some cases Google Translate works fairly well.

Here is the original you posted above

I panteregisteret for Strengereid tinglag (Nedenes sorenskriverembede) 1770-1799, nr. 4 finner vi følgende innførsel:'1791 den 11 (?) Juni haver Ommund Halvorsen (Hagestad) fæstet til Torsten Torjusen en Plads under denne Gaard, kaldet Haglemyren, med aarlig Afgift 2 rd....' (med referanse til panteboken,litr. P, fol. 127)." and "Flyttet nedover fra Vinje til Hagestad i Holt. 1787. (ukjent kilde

Here is the Google Translation

In the mortgage register for Strengereid tinglag (Nedenes Sorenskriverembede) 1770-1799, no. 4, we find the following entry: '1791 on 11 (?) June gardens Ommund Halvorsen (Hagestad) attached to Torsten Torjusen a Plads under this farm, called Haglemyren, with annual Tax 2 rd .... '(with reference to the mortgage book, p. Fol. 127). "And" Moved down from Vinje to Hagestad in Holt. 1787 (unknown source

Then using an online Norwegian genealogical dictionary you can fill in the words left in Norwegian

tinglag = judicial district

Nedenes is a village near Arendal

sorenskriver = magistrate, probate judge,

embete = public office

haver: does not mean garden, a mistake by Google Translate, basically means owner has ie owner has transferred. Need a dictionary for this one.

plads = (see "husmannsplass") (archaic)

husmannsplass = cotter's farm

I used OJ's Homepages for the translation.

Link

Edited by - AntonH on 20/01/2019 18:49:32
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2019 :  17:05:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Google translate did this:
from Den Norske Rigstidende Friday 12 November 1841 page 4, col 2

Proclamata
Som fraværende Arving efter afdøde Gaardbruger Terje Torstensen af Lønneviig under Gaarden Watneboe I Flougstad Sogn er opgivert Sonnen Peder Terjesen, om hvem det er forklaret, at han for 9 aar siden forlod Landet som hyret Matros med et I Østerriisver hjemmehørende, af nu afdøde Skipper Torvild Olsen Sandøen ført Skib, der var destineret til Amsterdam, og ved Skibets Ankomst til dette Sted rømte fra Fartviet, samt at han, efter de sidste Efterretninger man havde fram, foer tilsøes med et Skib fram Amerika, destineret til Ostindien, men iøvrigt have sit Ophold I Hamburg.
Denne fraværende Arving indkaldes faaledes med Aar og Dags Varsel til for me som Skifteforvalter I hans afdøde Faders Boe, at anmelde og legitimere sig.
Arendal den 3 die November 1841 Fabricius

Proclamata
As absent heir after deceased farm user Terje Torstensen of Lønneviig under Gaarden Watneboe In Flougstad Parish, Sonnen Peder Terjesen has been abandoned, on whom it is explained that 9 years ago he left the country which hired the sailor with an Austrian resident of now deceased skipper Torvild Olsen Sandøen led a ship destined for Amsterdam, and by the arrival of the ship at this place escaped from the shipwreck, and that, after the last intelligence one had presented, before seeding with a ship forward America, destined for the East Indies, but otherwise had been Stay in Hamburg.
This absent heir is summoned for years and days notice to me as a change manager in his deceased father's boe, to report and legitimize.
Arendal on November 3, 1841, Fabricius

It would be interesting to know if Peder ever presented himself.
Go to Top of Page

SvenOlsen

Netherlands
48 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2019 :  20:37:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can either of you read what it say in the bottom left of this page? All the childern of Torje Torstensen seem to be on here with age estimates, but there's a bunch of other things written down as well and i'm curious.

https://media.digitalarkivet.no/view/51211/20

Edit: Two ages also seem to be crossed out, does that mean they have died?

I also don't think Peder presented himself, because Ole Terjesen seems to have taken over the farm seeing as he's living there right?

Edited by - SvenOlsen on 20/01/2019 20:39:36
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2019 :  21:04:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
19 year old son Avald Avaldsen might be a child of Ane Kirstine's first marriage, that'd be my guess. And it appears he's employed by Niels Reyersen ? Watneboe

Not sure why the two ages are crossed out unless them being employed on other farms means they are not to be counted here.

The oldest son is most likely to "inherit" the farm. So the fact that Ole was still living there later is probably not significant about what happened to Peder.

To be certain about the nature of Ole's residence on the farm you should record how the farm name is recorded in each record about him or his children. Since Watneboe eje appears on a number of his mentions that indicates that he is not the owner but a cotter. Lønnevig (now recorded as Lønvik) may have been a husmansplass of Watneboe now called Vatnebu. Even today they are nestled next to each other. Search (søk) at norgeskart.no for maps and aerial pictures of the two farms.

Edited by - jkmarler on 20/01/2019 21:45:05
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2019 :  22:10:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Edit: Two ages also seem to be crossed out, does that mean they have died

Tosten who was born in 1798 and is the number 2 on the list did not die until 1875 according to the Geni.com Tree. So the fact they are cursed out is not likely to mean they died, at least by the time this census was taken.

Here is the transcribed record for the marriage of Asloug Andersdatter and Tosten Tarjesen 7-19-1774

Link

Edited by - AntonH on 20/01/2019 22:20:57
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2019 :  23:25:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
#1 & 2 left page 14 August 1814 sailor Terje Thostensen and wife Ane Olsdatter Watneboeje took communion:
SAK, Dypvåg sokneprestkontor, F/Fc/Fcb/L0001: Communicants register no. C-1, 1813-1840, p. 18-19
Quick link: https://www.digitalarkivet.no/kb10411605191011

#9 & 10 right page 20 August 1815 mattros? Anders Thostensen and wife Ane Hansdatter Watneboe
SAK, Dypvåg sokneprestkontor, F/Fc/Fcb/L0001: Communicants register no. C-1, 1813-1840, p. 30-31
Quick link: https://www.digitalarkivet.no/kb10411605191017

There appears to be quite a few years of communicants. The writing so far is pretty clear. You might consider taking a look yourself. The record is very basic a date and names one or two per line.

Edited by - jkmarler on 20/01/2019 23:42:56
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 20/01/2019 :  23:47:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
#7 right hand page sailor Anders Thostensen and wife Ane Hansdatter in the 1815 census:
AAKS, Folketelling 1815 for 0916S2 Dypvåg prestegjeld, Flosta sokn, 1815, s. 18
Brukslenke for sidevisning: https://www.digitalarkivet.no/ft20110311640274

#1 right hand page Niels Rejersen household
see dreng (means boy) Avald Avaldsen Lønn... age 19 and also says see #20
AAKS, Folketelling 1815 for 0916S2 Dypvåg prestegjeld, Flosta sokn, 1815, s. 17
Brukslenke for sidevisning: https://www.digitalarkivet.no/ft20110311640273

Edited by - jkmarler on 20/01/2019 23:51:28
Go to Top of Page

SvenOlsen

Netherlands
48 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2019 :  11:23:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was just starting to research the individual members of the family I've already put on MyHeritage and I found this whilst I was looking at Johan Severin Olsen, the child of Ole Andreas Olsen.

https://imgur.com/a/LwXV7hr

Remember that the boy was a twin, and that there is another boy of his age on the list but he should be named "Tomas Georg Olsen" yet he is named "Georg Waldeman Olsen." I also noticed a "Johun Torcaus Johannesen" That could very well be "Johan Taresius Johansen" the son of Johan Severin Olsen. The ages all match.

Edited by - SvenOlsen on 21/01/2019 11:24:28
Go to Top of Page

SvenOlsen

Netherlands
48 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2019 :  12:46:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brother of Ole Terjesen and son of Terje Torstensen? Found him in the 1865 census, I think.

https://www.digitalarkivet.no/en/census/person/pf01038160004119

Found another of their brothers, I think.

https://www.digitalarkivet.no/en/census/person/pf01038160004068

Edited by - SvenOlsen on 21/01/2019 12:55:59
Go to Top of Page

Kåarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2019 :  15:48:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SvenOlsen

Got a match on MyHeritage and it says this: "I panteregisteret for Strengereid tinglag (Nedenes sorenskriverembede) 1770-1799, nr. 4 finner vi følgende innførsel:'1791 den 11 (?) Juni haver Ommund Halvorsen (Hagestad) fæstet til Torsten Torjusen en Plads under denne Gaard, kaldet Haglemyren, med aarlig Afgift 2 rd....' (med referanse til panteboken,litr. P, fol. 127)." and "Flyttet nedover fra Vinje til Hagestad i Holt. 1787. (ukjent kilde)"

……..June 11 1791 Ommund Halvorsen (Hagestad) has given deed to Torsten Torjusen on a Croft (Cotters farm) under this farm, called Haglemyren, with a annual fee/rent on 2 Riksdaler
...……….moved from Vinje to Hagestad in Holt 1787

2 Riksdaler is ca 16.000 Kroner today, ca 1600 Euro

Edited by - Kåarto on 21/01/2019 15:55:07
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2019 :  15:50:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I was just starting to research the individual members of the family I've already put on MyHeritage and I found this whilst I was looking at Johan Severin Olsen, the child of Ole Andreas Olsen.

Remember that the boy was a twin, and that there is another boy of his age on the list but he should be named "Tomas Georg Olsen" yet he is named "Georg Waldeman Olsen." I also noticed a "Johun Torcaus Johannesen" That could very well be "Johan Taresius Johansen" the son of Johan Severin Olsen. The ages all match.

Very interesting find. If it is the boys then this record should be about 1900-1901. Perhaps its the English census of 1901?
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2019 :  16:31:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is the transcribed version from Ancestry.com of the individual. The transcriber is a little off on the name.

John Leverne Olsen
in the 1901 England Census
Name: John Leverne Olsen
Estimated birth year: abt 1885
Relation to Head: Crew
Birth Place: Norwegian Subject, Norway
Civil Parish: Vessels
Search Photos: Search for 'Vessels' in the UK City, Town and Village Photos collection
Town: Import Dock Earsdon
County/Island: Northumberland
Street address:

Condition as to marriage:

Education:

Employment status:

View image
Registration district: Tynemouth
Sub-registration district: Earsdon
ED, institution, or vessel: Brodrene
Neighbors: View others on page
Piece: 4809
Folio: 192
Household schedule number: 1
Go to Top of Page

SvenOlsen

Netherlands
48 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2019 :  16:36:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jkmarler

quote:

Very interesting find. If it is the boys then this record should be about 1900-1901. Perhaps its the English census of 1901?

It was that census, yes. It's noted at the top of the image as well. I've found two more passenger transcripts from New York that lists Johan Severin Olsen as a crew member. I'll post them later.
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2019 :  17:00:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perhaps Tomas Georg Olsen

Thomas Georg Olsen
in the New York, Passenger and Crew Lists (including Castle Garden and Ellis Island), 1820-1957
Name: Thomas Georg Olsen
Arrival Date: 9 Dec 1942
Birth Date: abt 1884
Ethnicity/ Nationality: Scandinavian
Port of Departure: Balboa, Canal Zone and Colon, Panama
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Sorensen
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article