All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Help needed confirming ancestry
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2019 :  17:10:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of the young ordinary seaman?
Name Georg Valdemar Olsen
Gender Male
Birth Date 15 May 1884
Christening Date 20 Jul 1884
Christening Place Gjerstad, Aust-Agder, Norway
Father's Name Christian Olsen
Father's Age 1845
Mother's Name Christiane Jorgine Jensen
Mother's Age 1853
Citing this Record

"Norway Baptisms, 1634-1927," database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NWNF-6FS : 10 February 2018), Georg Valdemar Olsen, 15 May 1884; citing ; FHL microfilm 1,282,587.

Go to Top of Page

SvenOlsen

Netherlands
48 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2019 :  23:05:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So I have a lot of family members added and it's kind of overwhelming. (Thank you by the way, I don't even know where to continue looking first at this point) I decided that I would start with Ole Andreas Olsen and his childern. I'm trying to find the baptism date for Anna Olivia Olsdatter and i'm looking at this, but I just can't understand any of it with the exception of a few names. I do see Vatnebu and what not, so i'm on the right track I think. (I know I can use other means to find it, probably. But I like to make sure I get things right so i'm trying to find the childern in the books.)

https://media.digitalarkivet.no/view/16863/52358/5

For example, I noticed that the birth dates for Terje Torstensen and his wife are their baptism dates and i've noticed that childern usually get baptised 15 to 30 days after being born. So I corrected that and removed their alleged birth dates for now.

Edit: I'm also trying to find the date of death for Sicilia Olsdatter, seeing as her birth/baptism record has her noted as dead.

Edited by - SvenOlsen on 21/01/2019 23:06:40
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 21/01/2019 :  23:41:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Name: Anna Olivia Olsen
Birth Date: 08 Nov 1872
Christening Date: 01 Dec 1872
Christening Place: Dypvåg, Aust-Agder, Norway
Father's Name: Ole Andreas Olsen
Father's Age: 28 1/2
Mother's Name: Tobine Kornelie Tonnesdatter
Mother's Age: 28 3/4

You've seen this correct?
Go to Top of Page

SvenOlsen

Netherlands
48 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2019 :  00:19:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jkmarler

Name: Anna Olivia Olsen
Birth Date: 08 Nov 1872
Christening Date: 01 Dec 1872
Christening Place: Dypvåg, Aust-Agder, Norway
Father's Name: Ole Andreas Olsen
Father's Age: 28 1/2
Mother's Name: Tobine Kornelie Tonnesdatter
Mother's Age: 28 3/4

You've seen this correct?

I did not, my bad.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2019 :  01:58:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SvenOlsen

So I have a lot of family members added and it's kind of overwhelming. (Thank you by the way, I don't even know where to continue looking first at this point) I decided that I would start with Ole Andreas Olsen and his childern. I'm trying to find the baptism date for Anna Olivia Olsdatter and i'm looking at this, but I just can't understand any of it with the exception of a few names. I do see Vatnebu and what not, so i'm on the right track I think. (I know I can use other means to find it, probably. But I like to make sure I get things right so i'm trying to find the childern in the books.)

https://media.digitalarkivet.no/view/16863/52358/5

Looking at the page linked here, the heading tells you fødte og døpte which means birth and baptism, the years 1770-1772 and the parish Dypvåg

What kind of things get recorded in birth & baptism records? Name of child, name of parents, date of birth, date of baptism and address of parents and the names of the godparents or witnesses to the baptism. Religions that practice infant baptism have a tendency to have witnesses to the event, because the child will not know from their own memory when they were baptized

In this particular example, the first names of the babies being baptized are in the far left column. Next to the name are ordinal numbers which should help you separate one record from another. The parents names are the next most important and are most likely in the top line thusly:
13. Ranei Ole Olsen Watnebeie and Allou Andersdatter barn (child) kalde (named) Ranej The other names are the godparents.
14. Jens etc

But the forms in the 1800s with printed headings should help you see what's in the records to get you to understand what's there and with that experience will help you understand the stuff in the chronological records in the 1700s up to 1812 or so.
Go to Top of Page

SvenOlsen

Netherlands
48 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2019 :  13:16:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So I have been reading back a little and we've established this so far.

1. "Torsten Terjesen and Asloug Andersdatter married on July 19, 1774 in Vinje Telemark."

2. "Torsten Terjesen and his wife Asloug Andersdatter (1745 - 1835) lived at Hagestadeie in Holt in 1787, together with their two children Torje (1775 - 1841) and Anders (1776 - 1840) . Both sons lived at Vatnebu in Flosta where Torje eventually got a large family at Lønvik."

- I am wondering why they moved from Vinje, Telemark to Holt, Aust-Agder. Perhaps they just had the marriage ceremony in Vinje? Maybe Asloug was from Vinje? And secondly, why were the sons living seperately from their father and mother? Parents at Hagestad, Holt and the son at Lønvik/Vatnebu.

3. "One son was named Tosten Lind Terjesen (1798-1875).
n the mortgage register for Strengereid tinglag (Nedenes Sorenskriverembede) 1770-1799, no. 4, we find the following entry: '1791 on 11 (?) June gardens Ommund Halvorsen (Hagestad) attached to Torsten Torjusen a Plads under this farm, called Haglemyren, with annual Tax 2 rd .... '(with reference to the mortgage book, p. Fol. 127). "And" Moved down from Vinje to Hagestad in Holt. 1787 (unknown source)"

- I'm a bit confused here seeing as Torsten Terjesen apparantly bought part of a farm in Vinje, Telemark whilst he was in Aust-Agder? Did he own multiple farms or am I misunderstanding? All these texts were Google Translated after all.

4. "As absent heir after deceased farm user Terje Torstensen of Lønneviig under Gaarden Watneboe In Flougstad Parish, Sonnen Peder Terjesen has been abandoned, on whom it is explained that 9 years ago he left the country which hired the sailor with an Austrian resident of now deceased skipper Torvild Olsen Sandøen led a ship destined for Amsterdam, and by the arrival of the ship at this place escaped from the shipwreck, and that, after the last intelligence one had presented, before seeding with a ship forward America, destined for the East Indies, but otherwise had been Stay in Hamburg.This absent heir is summoned for years and days notice to me as a change manager in his deceased father's boe, to report and legitimize."

- Are they implying here that Peder Terjesen is missing? He left 9 years ago it seems and he has not been seen since then, correct? He used to stay in Hamburg apparantly so I'll try to look at some German records, if I can find them.
Go to Top of Page

SvenOlsen

Netherlands
48 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2019 :  15:01:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://media.digitalarkivet.no/view/16919/52562/1

Right at the top it shows Peder Terjesen which I find interesting, maybe a brother of Torsten Terjesen? I am most interested in the one below it though, that appears to be Torsten Lind Terjesen. I can see his birth date but I cannot read the month, is it 2 Februari? He appears to have been baptised on the 3th of March?

https://media.digitalarkivet.no/view/16919/52562/5

Daughter of Terje Torstensen roughly bottom of the left page, looks like 2 Februari and 19... something I can't read for Baptism. I'd assume either Februari or March? Name looks like Allu?

https://media.digitalarkivet.no/view/16919/52562/11

Middle of the left page. Another daughter, Asloug Helene (Like we already found) Can't make out a birth date, baptism date looks like 19 July?

https://media.digitalarkivet.no/view/16919/52562/14

Top left, Peter/Peder Terjesen, looks like he was born on the 18th of August and baptised on the 15th of September. He's not under the Flougstad section though but "Barnedaal".

I cannot seem to find Ole Terjesen in these records, I might have to go over it again. Maybe he was born elsewhere?

Edited by - SvenOlsen on 22/01/2019 15:32:18
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2019 :  15:59:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Top left, Peter/Peder Terjesen, looks like he was born on the 18th of August and baptised on the 15th of September. He's not under the Flougstad section though but "Barnedaal".

In a baptismal record if there is only one date that relates to the child it is most likely the date of the baptism,. The baptism is the essence of the baptismal record. The other date in Peter's case is the date of intrd the reintroduction of the mother to the congregation after the birth of the child.
Go to Top of Page

SvenOlsen

Netherlands
48 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2019 :  16:05:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

In a baptismal record if there is only one date that relates to the child it is most likely the date of the baptism,. The baptism is the essence of the baptismal record. The other date in Peter's case is the date of intrd the reintroduction of the mother to the congregation after the birth of the child.

Right, so then the date on the left hand is the baptism date? Also, are you able to read some of the things I didn't manage to?

Edited by - SvenOlsen on 22/01/2019 16:06:33
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2019 :  16:06:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

-
4. "As absent heir after deceased farm user Terje Torstensen of Lønneviig under Gaarden Watneboe In Flougstad Parish, Sonnen Peder Terjesen has been abandoned, on whom it is explained that 9 years ago he left the country which hired the sailor with an Austrian resident of now deceased skipper Torvild Olsen Sandøen led a ship destined for Amsterdam, and by the arrival of the ship at this place escaped from the shipwreck, and that, after the last intelligence one had presented, before seeding with a ship forward America, destined for the East Indies, but otherwise had been Stay in Hamburg.This absent heir is summoned for years and days notice to me as a change manager in his deceased father's boe, to report and legitimize."

- Are they implying here that Peder Terjesen is missing? He left 9 years ago it seems and he has not been seen since then, correct? He used to stay in Hamburg apparantly so I'll try to look at some German records, if I can find them.

As an adult basically a confirmed person, Peter is free to go where he wants to earn his own way. He apparentely left Flosta for life on the sea and hasn't been back or heard from in 9 years. The last bit of intelligence is that he worked under Skipper Torvild etc. and went to Amsterdam and from there to America via the East Indies or East Indies vis America. Customarily he resides in Hamburg, probably Germany. Ancestry has a good database of German sailors or sailors on German ships so you might want to look for him there. I'm just not sure if it covers sailors working in the 1830s or not. But worth a look.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2019 :  16:08:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Right, so then the date on the left hand is the baptism date? Also, are you able to read some of the things I didn't manage to?

Yes the date of baptism. The rest of the record names the parents and the child again and the godparents.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2019 :  16:18:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
15. 18 August [1812] Peter
Terje Thorstensen Watneboeje and wife Ane Olsdtr b[ short forbarn / child] Peter
fadd. [short for faddernes / godparents] Anders Thorstensens wife Ane Hansdtr, Alou Stiansdtr, Christen Petersen, Anders Thorstensen, Ole Stiansen alle fra Watneboeje [all live on Watneboeje]

intrd 15 Sept.
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9141 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2019 :  17:29:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Ancestry.com transcription assigns the baptism date to Tosten Lind as January 1, 1799. No birth date is given. The mother was introduced to the congregation on January 20, 1799.

In the left hand column for the baptism date is the word that to me looks like eud ? This means that the baptism date is the same as the baptism date for the child above. In this case child #1 Maren who was baptized on January 1. No birth date is recorded in this time period. The far right column gives the date and month when the mother was introduced (reintroduced) to the congregation.

Name: Tosten Lind Torgersen
Baptism Date: 1 jan 1799
Baptism Place: Flosta,Aust-Agder,Norway
Father: Torje Tostensen
Mother: Ane Kistine Olsdr

Edited by - AntonH on 22/01/2019 17:53:55
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9141 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2019 :  17:35:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For Alou the Ancestry.com transcriber givers her a baptism date of March 18, 1802. He is using the baptism date for #2 Ingeborg, see two above Alou. the next two #3 Torborg and #4 Alou have the symbol used in that time period for ditto or same as above to indicate that they were baptized on the same date as the person above them. No birth date is listed for children in the time period when these children were born. Only the baptism date was recorded. The date on the far right was the date on which the mother of the child was introduced back into the congregation. For Alou the right hand column reads intr. short for introduced April 19.

Name: Alou Torgersen
[Alou Thostensen]
Baptism Date: 18 mar 1802
Baptism Place: Flosta,Aust-Agder,Norway
Father: Torje Thostensen
Mother: Ane Olsdr

Edited by - AntonH on 22/01/2019 23:25:37
Go to Top of Page

SvenOlsen

Netherlands
48 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2019 :  19:30:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see. So for Aslaug Helene the baptism date would be 19 July 1809, if I use the symbols correctly. I've googled the name "alou" and it doesn't seem to be a known name, do you have any idea what else they might have ment?

So far i've also been unable to find the baptism for Ole Terjesen, Syver Terjesen and Allaug Terjesddatter.

https://media.digitalarkivet.no/view/37708/1645

This was linked earlier, it doesn't have an Allaug but it does show Syver and Ole Terjesen, I can't find a baptism for either.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article