All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Peterson/Palmstrom Family Tree Help Needed Please
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

MarkPeter
Medium member

Australia
98 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2019 :  00:41:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, so maybe my Peter Andreas Palmstrom was Lorentz Palmstrøm’s uncle. My Elisabeth Marie Larsdatter is very close to Kristina Larsotter, ( Maybe Larsdatter) mother of Lorentz.
Go to Top of Page

MarkPeter
Medium member

Australia
98 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2019 :  01:08:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe Larsdatter sisters both married into the Palmstrom family. Brothers or cousins Lorentz Palmstrom and Peder Andreas Palmstrom.
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9141 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2019 :  01:36:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This thread is getting a little big so we may be losing some of the information. I hope you are updating one of muir trees so you do not get confused. Go back to what you know about the various people and put them in a tree or at least a list so you can see who may or may not be released.

I made this sheet up to keep myself from getting confused. I think it is accurate but I will check it again

Johan Carl b April 22, 1829, in Arendal, Aust-Agder, parents ae

Peter Andreas Palmstrøm and Elizabeth Marie Larsdatter

Peter Andreas was b March 22, 1803, in Kristiansand, parents are

Johan Peter Palmstrøm and Marie Catherine Petersdatter Stahl

Potential father Johan Palmstrøm b abt 1762 in Sweden found in Kristiansand 1801 Census

Lorentz b 1828 in Sweden married in Sandar, Vestfold parents are

Andreas Palmstrøm and Kristina Larsdotter

Andreas Palmstrøm was b Nov 19, 1805 in Sweden grandparents are

Jonas Palmstrøm and Gunila Catharina Morman married Nov 30, 1750 in Norra Fågelås, Skaraborg, Sweden

Jonas b 1704

Parents are Petter Eriksson and Anna Jonsdatter

Kristina Ancestry

Link

Link

Edited by - AntonH on 30/04/2019 22:05:46
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9141 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2019 :  01:46:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now Lars Thomsen and wife Gunvor Pedersdatter of Arendal had quite a few children, but I did not find a Kristine so I think it is unlikely that Elisabeth Marie Larsdatter and Kristine Larsdotter are sister.

The children are

Jurgine Dec 1804

Johanne Marie 27 mar 1806

Elisabeth Marie 5 apr 1808

Thomine Marie 5 jul 1810

Peder 10 aug 1812

Johannes 19 May 1816

Thomas 27 Jul 1822

Lars and Guvor married in 1804

Name: Lars Thomassen
Marriage Date: 6 apr 1804
Marriage Place: Arendal,Aust-Agder,Norway
Spouse: Gunvor Pedersdr

Right hand page second entry 1804

Link

In the 1801 Census it states that Lars is a widower and he is a shoemaker.

This record is likely a baptism of a chidl from the first marriage of Lars Thomsen and his first wife.

Name: Johanne Larsen
Birth Date: 5 sep 1798
Baptism Date: 12 sep 1798
Baptism Place: Arendal,Aust-Agder,Norway
Father: Lars Thomassen
Mother: Maren Tellefsdr
FHL Film Number: 123481

Edited by - AntonH on 08/02/2019 18:15:29
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9141 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2019 :  02:29:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We think we know your family line is Carl Johan Petersen Palmstrom son of Peter Andreas Palmstrom son of Johan Peter Palmstrom.

We know that Carl Johan Palmstrom seems to have been a carpenter as were several of those known to be of the Palmstrom family

We know that Carl Johan Palmstrom seems to be found in the same areas as those known to be of the Palmstrom family such as Arendal and Kragerø, Telemark.

We do not know yet if or how he or his father or his grandfather are related to the family. It may be in a more complex fashion than we suspect.

Looking at this excerpt from the Palmstrøm family website shows that there are unknowns in this family. For example this paragraph.

"#302 Johan Palmström1 had a daughter, #548 Anna Jonsdotter, with an unknown woman. The mother died shortly after Anna was born. Anna married #549 Petter Eriksson and their son, Jonas, took the surname "Palmström" of his grandfather."

So there are complicated routes to the use of the Palmstrom name.

It may be the Johan Peter Palmstrøm who was married to Marie Catherine Petersdatter Stahl who is the link.

Link

Edited by - AntonH on 08/02/2019 02:59:12
Go to Top of Page

MarkPeter
Medium member

Australia
98 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2019 :  02:51:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok thx for such a detailed info sheet. I will explore deeper now. I will update my family tree and see what hints I get from others. Tha again ToreL and lyndal40
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9141 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2019 :  03:06:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So this is likely the death record for Johan Peter Palmstrøm. His birth year is given as 1763 which is quite close to the Johan Palmstrøm we found in the 1801 Census. We do not know how he fits into the big Palmstrøm family.

Johan Palmstr?M
in the Norway, Select Burials, 1666-1927
Name: Johan Palmstr?M
Birth Date: 1763
Death Date: 24 des 1823 (24 Dec 1823)
Death Place: Kristiansand, Vest-Agder, Norway
Burial Date: 27 des 1823 (27 Dec 1823)
FHL Film Number: 127319
Reference ID: b 23 p 318

It is a little hard to read the original but I think it says Carpenter (Snedker) Johans Palmstrøm.

Johan and Catherine had only three children that I could find

Your Peter Andreas 22 mar 1803

Link

Gustav 6 sep 1804

Link

Marthe Catherine 7 Oct 1806

Link

His wife died in 1809

Link

Edited by - AntonH on 08/02/2019 03:39:17
Go to Top of Page

MarkPeter
Medium member

Australia
98 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2019 :  05:19:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So maybe, Johan Carl Palmstrom is one of these or a son of one of these?

From the Palmstrøm family tree graph?

www.palmstrom.net
Go to Top of Page

ToreL
Advanced member

Norway
797 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2019 :  14:58:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found a hint that Palmström may be a so-called soldier-name. In the old Swedish army, they had a problem when half of the recruits were named Olsson. To better distinguish between the men, they devised various schemes for assigning them new last names. Often these men held on to their new soldier name after leaving the army, and passed it on to their children. Today a significant part of Swedish last names were originally such soldier names. Many of them are easily recognizable as such (names significating strengt, speed, agility, etc.) but not all. I came across an old thread on a Swedish geneaology discussion site that described a system where the soldier representing a certain group of farms was always assigned the same soldier name, hence producing a series of young, relatively unrelated young men with the same last name. Now, in the thread linked to above, the suggestion is raised (it is unclair to me if this fact or speculation) that Palmstrøm was a soldier name of this latter type, used in a locality of Västerbotten in the North of Sweden.

Sorry, correction: The language on the site is Swedish, but I didn't realize that the site itself is Finnish. As you may know, many people in Finland use Swedish as their moder tongue. I was also confused by the name WESTSIDE, which somehow tricked me to read Österbotten as Västerbotten. Now, while Västerbotten is in Sweden, Österbotten is in Finnland. At the time we are talking about, however, ie., before 1809, Finland was under Swedish rule and had been so for centuries. The places mentioned in the Swedish-language thread are around Vörå, about 30kms east of Vasa.

Edited by - ToreL on 08/02/2019 21:58:47
Go to Top of Page

MarkPeter
Medium member

Australia
98 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2019 :  21:02:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok thx ToreL, interesting
Go to Top of Page

MarkPeter
Medium member

Australia
98 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2019 :  21:12:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Palmstrømvatnet in Sweden is the only place in Sweden or Norway with the word Palmstrøm in it. Was this a army area of Sweden or a family farming area?
Go to Top of Page

ToreL
Advanced member

Norway
797 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2019 :  22:08:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From what the people wrote in the thread, I didn't get the impression that any part of the local landscape is named Palmström. None of the persons mentioned in the thread seem to match your Peter Johan, although one of them was said to be a capable carpenter, which was the reason I found this thread in the first place. I posted this mainly as a reminder that the name could stem from other sources than a family connection to the people in the tree at palmstrom.net.

If you take an autosomal ("familyfinder") genetic test that results in a lot of Finnish matches, you should perhaps look more seriously into this.
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9141 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2019 :  23:04:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure this has not been posted earlier, but this looks like Johan ? Palmstrom posted in Arendal in 1854 as leaving Arendal for Kragerø.

Edited by - AntonH on 08/02/2019 23:42:38
Go to Top of Page

MarkPeter
Medium member

Australia
98 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2019 :  23:27:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, Johan would’ve been in New York, USA a while before his marriage to Ellen Cavanagh in 1855 though. You would think at least 6 months before marriage to get to know each other a bit.
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9141 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2019 :  23:46:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are occasions where the parish priest notes that a person has left the parish but the year he makes the note is different form the year the person left. I notice that there is some writing on the left side of Record number 12 that is difficult to read but has the date of 4-14- 49. It is possible that he left in 1849 but it was not reported until 1854.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article