All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 PASSENGER LISTS AND EMIGRANTS
 Hunting Passenger Lists
 Emigration puzzle
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2019 :  11:22:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another relative # 19 Anna on 11 July 1883?:
SAT, Ministerialprotokoller, klokkerbøker og fødselsregistre - Sør-Trøndelag, 687/L1002: Ministerialbok nr. 687A08, 1878-1890, s. 35
Brukslenke for sidevisning: https://www.digitalarkivet.no/kb20061017040550

Go to Top of Page

dpete
Starting member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2019 :  04:24:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
JK, this (#19) Anna is the child of Erik's brother Anders. Anna's mother, Ingeborg, and Anders never married, and it is correct that Anders was already in MInnesota when Anna was born. I discovered this birth about a year ago and prior to that did not know that Anders had left Ingeborg, Anna's mother, with child. Whether Anders knew it or not, I can not say, but I suspect that he did. Anna's mother left for Wisconsin in 1887 and shortly after arriving married Anders Olsen Aune from the Aune farm who had established himself as a farmer in Wisconsin. Since Aune and Refseth were so close in proximity, in a number of cases a person's farm name changed from Aune to Refseth or vice versa depending on where the individual was living/working at the time.

Pete
Go to Top of Page

dpete
Starting member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2019 :  04:29:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
JK, yes, both Erik and Anders left a pregnant woman in Norway when they headed for Minnesota. Erik sent for and married the woman he left behind shortly after she arrived in Brainerd with their son (my grandfather). Not so with Anders.

This #3 entry is a different Erik as you can see on the far right the child is ægte (ekte/legitimate). Had this been my oldefar the child would have been listed as uægte/uekte/illigitimate. The listed birth year of the father is 1851 and my oldefar was born in 1864. I'll have to see if I can find out more about this fellow with the same name. :)

Pete

Edited by - dpete on 03/02/2019 04:33:08
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2019 :  08:17:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dpete

JK, yes, both Erik and Anders left a pregnant woman in Norway when they headed for Minnesota. Erik sent for and married the woman he left behind shortly after she arrived in Brainerd with their son (my grandfather). Not so with Anders.

This #3 entry is a different Erik as you can see on the far right the child is ægte (ekte/legitimate). Had this been my oldefar the child would have been listed as uægte/uekte/illigitimate. The listed birth year of the father is 1851 and my oldefar was born in 1864. I'll have to see if I can find out more about this fellow with the same name. :)

Erik Pedersen Refseth in 1865 census:
https://www.digitalarkivet.no/census/person/pf01052373001136

My observation wasn't just about your relatives but there were quite a few births with the man in America in 1882-1884 in Støren, I stopped counting at about 5 in those years. So something was afoot.

If you were able to find baptismal records in Crow Wing county for the oldest of the births in both of the boys' families, it seems likely that you would find Kari listed as faddernes. In Ancestry they do have ELCA pastoral records and Kari's death as found in Brainerd Lutheran's records which you probably already know. Unfortunately it appears the earliest records for that congregation occur in the mid 1890s so not helpful to the question of when did Kari arrive.

Go to Top of Page

dpete
Starting member

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2019 :  20:58:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jkmarler

My observation wasn't just about your relatives but there were quite a few births with the man in America in 1882-1884 in Støren, I stopped counting at about 5 in those years. So something was afoot.

If you were able to find baptismal records in Crow Wing county for the oldest of the births in both of the boys' families, it seems likely that you would find Kari listed as faddernes. In Ancestry they do have ELCA pastoral records and Kari's death as found in Brainerd Lutheran's records which you probably already know. Unfortunately it appears the earliest records for that congregation occur in the mid 1890s so not helpful to the question of when did Kari arrive.

Several years ago I had a subscription to Ancestry, but presently am not a member. I've done the bulk of my research in the available church records in Norway. I will attempt to see if I can learn anything from records relative to acquiring USA citizenship. Ole stated he was a naturalized citizen in the 1900 federal census, but apparently women were not asked the question since they did not yet have the right to vote. Kari may never have become a citizen before passing away in 1909.

Thank you again for your assistance!

Pete
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article