All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 PASSENGER LISTS AND EMIGRANTS
 Hunting Passenger Lists
 Grandmother's arrival in USA
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

barbcockhill
New on board

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2019 :  02:20:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My grandmother had a ticket on May 21,1910 out of Aalesund. The information lists her as Martha Knutsen Aure, born 1890.Actually born1889. Would the purchased ticket take her to the USA or would
she buy another in the UK? Knutsen should be Knudson also.
She was headed to Minnesota where she had a sister.
Years ago Borge gave me some help but I have not found her on the ships he listed. Arabic, Baltic, Teutonic and Oceanic.
Please educate me some and send any advice you can.
Thank you,Barb

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9141 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2019 :  03:44:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Usually start out checking her emigration record from Norway.

Link
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9141 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2019 :  04:14:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And here is likely your grandmother. From Ancestry.com. Looking at the original manifest It looks like that her name is written as last name Aure or Aune Knutsen and first name Martha. She is on the Baltic, one of the ships that Borge thought that you might find her on/

Marcha Oiore Knudsen
in the New York, Passenger and Crew Lists (including Castle Garden and Ellis Island), 1820-1957
Name: Marcha Oiore Knudsen
Arrival Date: 5 Jun 1910
Birth Date: abt 1889
Birth Location: Norway
Birth Location Other: aureosen
Ethnicity/ Nationality: Scandinavian
Port of Departure: Liverpool, England
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Baltic

What clinches it for me is the six passenger above her are the Ose or Ouse family. Look at the emigration record from Ålesund and you will see the family, beginning with Ingeborg Olive Ose on the previous page. Click on forre and you will see the mother at 10570.

Edited by - AntonH on 11/02/2019 17:21:25
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9141 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2019 :  04:27:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a screen shot of the original record

Edited by - AntonH on 11/02/2019 04:27:58
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9141 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2019 :  04:31:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A larger shot of the right hand part of the record for the "address of the nearest relative"

A bigger shot of her name, also note the young Ose child above her

Final destination looks to me like Shelly Minn.

Edited by - AntonH on 11/02/2019 04:47:05
Go to Top of Page

barbcockhill
New on board

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2019 :  19:28:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are absolutely wonderful. I was never able to see manifests, just searches and
failed but you are my favorite person right now and this is the last piece I needed
for our family. Martha died in 1919, 7 days after childbirth and her daughter (my mom)
was put up for adoption by the father who returned to Denmark.
If you would look up Edith Craig Butte Montana, you will see a little about us.
It began in 1999 and ended in 2001.
I am forever indebted to you, thank you so very much.
Will I be able to see the manifest as I am on the low pay scale for Ancestry.
Barb
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2019 :  19:47:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A totally awesome story, Montana Standard Feb 12, 2012:

Edith “Edie” Craig died on Feb. 9, her 93rd birthday, surrounded by her loving family. Edith was born in Stark-weather, N. D., in1919 to Marta Aure of Norway and Gunnar Gram of Denmark. Shortly after her birth, Edith’s mother Marta died of childbirth complications. Before returning to Denmark, her father Gunnar gave infant Edith to a neighboring farmer and his wife, Peter and Carrie Gering, to raise as their own. Edith often recounted stories of a happy childhood on their farm as a cherished only child. In her last days on earth, Edith was often “on the farm” talking with her father and reliving those long ago, happy times.

Edith graduated from Starkweather High School and in 1941 she married Edward Cockhill. Soon after, they moved to Butte where Ed worked for an automobile dealership. Ed and Edith had three children, Brian, Brad and Barbra before divorcing in 1952. As a single mother, Edith worked day and night to support her

family, often taking the children with her at night to sleep at her late night cleaning jobs. In 1953, Edith met and married William R. Craig Jr., a Butte copper miner from Dubois, Idaho. Bill and Edith had a son, William R. Craig III (Billy) and a daughter Willa. Their marriage lasted until Bill’s death in 1999 at the age of 74.

Edith’s greatest sorrow occurred when her son Billy was killed at the age of 6 in a tragic accident involving a young friend and an unsecured firearm. The thought of being reunited with him in

heaven was a great comfort to her in her final days

There was scarcely an organization in Butte that did not have Edie as a dedicated member. She was very active as president of the Longfellow PTA, a lifelong member of the American Legion, Beta Sigma Phi sorority, Butte Women’s Club, a supporter of the symphony and regular volunteer at the Butte Mining Museum. She was a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and the church was an important source of support and comfort for her at various times in her life. She was known for her warm greeting of friends and strangers alike. She always had a kind word and a smile for everyone, and a natural generosity of spirit. She was always aware that regardless of her own modest financial situation, there was someone else who was in greater need, and she always gave without hesitation. Many will remember her as a medical transcriptionist at St. James for many years before retiring in 1979. She continued to work at the

family business, East Ridge Cleaners, until her eyes failed at age 82.

Edith was an ardent reader and her home was stacked with books. She placed a high value on reading and always encouraged her children in that area. She loved to make a huge fuss over anyone’s birthday and made sure every Christmas was over the top. As a mother she believed wholeheartedly in the abilities and talents of her children and grandchildren, despite any information to the contrary. We were always assured of her unconditional love and confidence and we could not have had a better model for parenting and loving our own children.

At the age of 80, thanks to her daughter Barbra’s interest in genealogy, Edie’s Norwegian family was found and contacted. She learned that she was known in the Aure family as “the child who was lost in America.” Edie then traveled to her mother’s village in Norway where she stayed on the family farm and met her many lovely relatives.

At age 82, Edie was presented with a remarkable and life changing opportunity. An attorney in Denmark, who had learned of Edith’s existence from Barbra’s genealogical work in searching for her grandfather Gunnar, contacted her in hopes of having Edith challenge the ownership of a house in Aalborg, Denmark, that was occupied by the Danish Nazi party. Edith’s natural father, Gunnar, had joined the Nazi party upon his return to Denmark from North Dakota and had been killed by the Danish Resistance at the end of the war. Through his son, the house had passed to the Nazi party in a questionable will. The neighbors in the area had been quietly protesting the presence and activities of the Nazis in their neighborhood on a nightly basis for over two years. The issue was one of national attention in Denmark. The discovery of Edith, the first born daughter in America, and possible rightful heir, gave them hope that the Nazis might be evicted and peace restored. True to her character, Edith volunteered to enter as a plaintiff contesting the will and eventually, with the help of her Danish attorneys, accomplished what no one else in Denmark had been able to do. She took possession of the house and promptly evicted the Nazi party from their only headquarters. Her role in the Denmark case was honored by the Montana Human Rights Network. She then traveled to Denmark with her daughter Barbra, where she was celebrated as a national hero by the press and the community of Aalborg. In a particularly moving moment during that trip, a member of the Danish Resistance came forward and in thanks, gave Edith the Danish Resistance pin he had worn fighting the Nazi occupation in World War II.

Edith was preceded in death by her natural and adoptive parents; her husband of 45 years, Bill Craig; and her beloved son Billy.

She is survived by four of her five children, Brian Cockhill (Linda) of Helena, Brad Cockhill (Robin) of Butte, Barbra Cockhill of Butte and Willa Craig (George Risi) of Missoula. She is also survived by grandchildren, Bill Cockhill (Jenise) of Helena, Brittany Downey (Mike) of Butte, Lauren Hafla (Galen) of Elko, Nev., Russell Cockhill of Butte,and Milan Risi of Missoula. Her great-grandchildren are Eric and Anna Cockhill of Helena and Holt, Jacelyn and Danielle Downey of Butte.

A Service will be held at the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 1351 Mount Highland Dr, Butte, on Friday, Feb. 17. Visitation will begin at 10 a.m. followed by Memorial Services at 11 a.m. A reception will follow immediately after the service.

Interment will occur at a later date at Mountain View Cemetery.

In lieu of flowers memorials may be made in Edith’s memory to the World Mining Museum in Butte or Albert’s Angel Fund c/o Chelsea Bailey Animal Shelter, Butte. Axelson Alternative Cremation is privileged to serve the Craig family.

Edited by - jkmarler on 11/02/2019 19:50:18
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2019 :  21:49:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Barb - If your subscription to Ancestry limits your view of the Passenger Manifests in their collections try checking at your local public library or the nearest LDS Family History Center where the institutional version of Ancestry is often available to patrons for free access while they are at the library or center.
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9141 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2019 :  21:52:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also even tho Ancestry is not the most friendly of sites they do have a Share button on records. So if you click on my lyndal40 user name you can send me an email. Include with that email your email address that you want the message from Ancestry to go to. You should be able to click on a link in that email and see the original manifest. I would think you can also print form that link.

From the Ancestry.com site is this info

"You can share records from Ancestry via email, Facebook, Twitter, and Google+. When you share a record, other people don't need a subscription in order to see it."

Edited by - AntonH on 11/02/2019 21:54:59
Go to Top of Page

barbcockhill
New on board

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2019 :  22:25:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you all and yes indeed, that is our Martha.
I was able to get the manifest .
When I started the search for mom's birth parents in 1999, I was determined not
to hire a professional and that was a very smart move because of the people I came
into contact with during the struggle and yes it was a struggle but I would not change
anything. I met so many wonderful people along the way, four special helpers came to Montana to visit us and of course we met others in Norway and Denmark. Friends forever. A generous man up in northern Norway helped a great deal and he beat me to the Norway farm by a few hours because I was sleeping. It was also my
mom's 80 birthday that day so it was special. Later we were able to find Marta's grave in Minnesota and i took mom to meet cousins, and visit the grave. During that trip I was given a picture (with Gunner and his brother at the casket) that helped along with other material, prove mom was Gunner Grams daughter.
Again, thank you special people.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article