All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 occupation Gunsmand ??
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

David Wallace
Medium member

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2019 :  21:11:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
#13 out-migration Drøbak to Vestby of Erich Ingebrethsen https://media.digitalarkivet.no/en/view/7541/294
I read the occupation as Gunsmand (translation unknown). It seems to be a common occupation, listed for others on the same page and elswhere. What is the translation?

DBWallace

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2019 :  21:42:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gaarsmand, ie. Farm man or farmer. Correct spelling in 1835 would be gaardsmand. Correct spelling in 2019 would be gårdsmann (or rather bonde).

Edited by - jwiborg on 27/03/2019 21:45:59
Go to Top of Page

David Wallace
Medium member

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2019 :  01:45:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to question that it be Gaardsmand seeing #12 and #23 are clearly Gaardsmand and distinct from #13 and #21.

DBWallace
Go to Top of Page

ToreL
Advanced member

Norway
818 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2019 :  11:46:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by David Wallace

I have to question that it be Gaardsmand seeing #12 and #23 are clearly Gaardsmand and distinct from #13 and #21.

I agree, there is no d in the middle, and the first letter could well be H, so Huusmand is also a possibility.
Go to Top of Page

David Wallace
Medium member

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2019 :  15:59:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Other entries for Erik Ingebethsen may help clarify. Gunsmand is his occupation in Drøbak. After the move to Vestby I see Gaardbruger (farmer).

http://physicsfixes.elementfx.com/genealogy/Our%20Simonson%20Genealogy.html#Erik+Marthe+Maren

I wish I understood the two entries for his death (Vestby and Sarpsborg), why two entries?

DBWallace
Go to Top of Page

David Wallace
Medium member

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2019 :  16:10:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am inclined to guess that Gunsmand is military, the Oscarsborg Festning being near Drøbak.

DBWallace
Go to Top of Page

ToreL
Advanced member

Norway
818 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2019 :  17:03:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gunsmand makes no sense in Norwegian. I am quite confident that the first letter is an H, not a G. You can see it is quite different from the first letter in the entry above, #12 Gaardmandsdatter, but identical to the first letter in the occupation for #35 a few pages ahead, who is a Hattemager, i.e. a hatter.

Type Huusmand here and compare. Husmann (modern spelling) is usually rendered as cotter or crofter in English.

Edited by - ToreL on 28/03/2019 18:44:24
Go to Top of Page

ToreL
Advanced member

Norway
818 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2019 :  18:21:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I wish I understood the two entries for his death (Vestby and Sarpsborg), why two entries?

What death entry in Sarpsborg is that?
Go to Top of Page

David Wallace
Medium member

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2019 :  20:05:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ToreL

quote:

What death entry in Sarpsborg is that?

1866 Aug 12, death, 1866 Aug 17, burial of Erik Engebretsen age 74
https://media.digitalarkivet.no/en/view/5746/29248/10 #56 Vestby, Akershus https://media.digitalarkivet.no/en/view/424/2726/37 #53 Sarpsborg, Østfold.

These links are among the more complete listing of links in chronological order at the given url: http://physicsfixes.elementfx.com/genealogy/Our%20Simonson%20Genealogy.html

DBWallace
Go to Top of Page

David Wallace
Medium member

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2019 :  20:35:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ToreL

Gunsmand makes no sense in Norwegian. I am quite confident that the first letter is an H, not a G. You can see it is quite different from the first letter in the entry above, #12 Gaardmandsdatter, but identical to the first letter in the occupation for #35 a few pages ahead, who is a Hattemager, i.e. a hatter.

Type Huusmand here and compare. Husmann (modern spelling) is usually rendered as cotter or crofter in English.

On the other hand, compare the H and G in #19 Hans Hansen Garder https://media.digitalarkivet.no/en/view/7541/294
Also, the frequent occurrence of Gunsmand in Drobak only.

DBWallace
Go to Top of Page

ToreL
Advanced member

Norway
818 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2019 :  20:39:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The listings refer to each other, and the one in Vestby says død i Sarpsborg, dead in Sarpsborg, so he probably belonged to the parish in Vestby but died in Sarpsborg, and perhaps was buried there. There is more to read in both entries, but that is beyond me.

As my last and final response to the other issue, I will refer to this entirely parallel case on a Danish site where someone asks for an English translation of her Danish transcription (featuring another Gunsmand), and receives some help with her transcription as well.

Edited by - ToreL on 30/03/2019 13:25:38
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2019 :  21:13:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a booklet called Scandinavian Record Extraction. It contains a section on how to read The Gothic Alphabet with examples of how the various letters look when written. Based on the examples from the booklet I would say that the first letter of the word is an H.

Edited by - AntonH on 28/03/2019 21:14:21
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2019 :  22:48:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
David - Perhaps you should consult “Vestby Bygdebok: gård og grendgjennom tidene”, 2 volumes by Osvald Martinsen. There is also a set of books published for Sarpsborg, but if your man didn't actually reside there that would be of doubtful assistance.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2019 :  01:05:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it says that Erik died on a visit (besog) to baker Johannes Olsen who apparently lives or works at 74a Mariegaden in Sarpsborg.
Go to Top of Page

David Wallace
Medium member

USA
75 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2019 :  17:15:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thank jkmarler for help with the death record. Regarding “Gunsmand”, I found an antiquarian in Drøbak who understands Gunsmand to mean weaponsmith.

DBWallace
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article