All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Hans Paulsen Tolstad (1625 - 1695)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

DDavis
Starting member

Canada
5 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2019 :  13:59:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am looking for information on Hans Paulsen Tolstad. Much of the information is in Norwegian in which I can't speak, read, or write.

I am related through Ragnild Totfe, Simen Hanson Totfe, Hans Paulsen Tolstad.

I have found several trees on geni.com and wanting to verify the information before adding it to my tree. I am wanting to know the source of the dates for example how do they know his birth year and death year.

I am especially interested in his wife Anne maternal line. It seems to go back four centuries but there is no sources. This makes me very skeptical.

I am also looking for pictures of the Totfe and Tolstad farms (early the better).

Thanks

Dreena Davis
Regina, SK
Canada

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2019 :  15:37:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At least one of the family trees you've mentioned on Geni.com list that he was born in Vågå, Oppland, Norway and died in Dovre, Oppland, Norway.

To the best of my knowledge the earliest surviving parish records for Vågå extend back to about 1739 but there are Norwegian published history/genealogy books -
“Bygdebok for Vågå og Sel”, ? volumes by Ivar Teigum; “I gamle Daagaa : forteljingo og bydga-minne fraa Vaagaa”, by Ivar Kleiven.

The earliest surviving parish records for Dovre appear to begin about 1724.

Have you tried contacting the poster(s) of those Geni.com trees to ask them about the sources they used?
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2019 :  16:56:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This family was discussed on this site back in 2009. Kåre on of our posters provided some information on the family (maybe from a tree) so it would be a good place for you to start if you have not already read it.

Norway Heritage

The link to the Tree mentioned by Kåre no longer works, but based on the numbers 32 and 33 attached to Paul and Anne this is likely the Tree he refers to.

Aner fra Semb i Biri

Edited by - AntonH on 13/06/2019 22:22:42
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2019 :  17:16:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hopkins mentioned above that one of the few sources for families as far back in time as you are interested in are the family/farm history books called Bygdebøker. However recently we had a query on a family from Vågå so I asked a friend at the University of North Dakota library to see if he could find out any information on the family in one of the sources Hopkins mentioned, “Bygdebok for Vågå og Sel”, ? volumes by Ivar Teigum". The UND has the four volume set of these books. Unfortunately he emailed back that " these are general history books and do not contain information about individuals and families". So not of use in the type of search you are undertaking.

UND does also have a copy of the book "I gamle daagaa. Forteljingo og bygda-minne fraa Vaagaa" by Ivar Klvien. I will send an email to UND to see if this book might be of use. However the book is listed as "Folklore -- Norway; Vågå (Norway)" by UND so I would not get my hopes up.

Edited by - AntonH on 13/06/2019 17:18:55
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2019 :  21:58:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Anton for the info about the Vågå og Sel books. I will add those comments to my collected notes about bygdebøker of Norway. I don't want to be recommending actions that would lead to frustration for the newbie.
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2019 :  22:48:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Finding sources for families from Vågå seems as if it might be a chore but there are Bygdebøker for Gausdal.. Here is one Tree with a source. The person is Simen Trondsen Heggen father of Anne. And he is listed as being from Gausdal.

The Tree is Slekter far Ringebu og Gudbrandsdalen.

Link

And the source is

Kraabøl, Hans; Slekter og Gaarder i Gausdal. Utgitt av G. F. Gunnersen. Gudbrandsdalens Historielags forlag, Lillehammer 1922

A comment on this book from an internet site

Kråbøl, Hans. Slegter og Gaarder i Gausdal, 1820-1824 Publisher: Gudbrandsdal Historielag, G. F. Gunnersen, Lillehammer 1922
Note: An inventory that m.a. contains genealogies to owners of farms in Gausdal Municipality. Written down approximately 1820-1824. This book can almost be compared with a bygdebok for Gausdal. It was written by ship captain Hans Kraabøl in early 1800s, but was not published until 1922. The book covers usually 3-5 generations until about 1824. / Families on farms in Gausdal before 1824. Anne Hildrum, Fossum Berget 50, 0983 Oslo, www.botne.net, anne.hildrum@chello.no

Edited by - AntonH on 13/06/2019 23:57:28
Go to Top of Page

DDavis
Starting member

Canada
5 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2019 :  02:55:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the help as I pick up some more information.

I still can't get the latest link to work on Simen trondson. Nor the links in the 2009 post for Lalm and Totfe.

I have one question about the general history in regards to Vågå. Would this history tell what life was like between 1200 -1600? I would be interested in the roles of the sheriffs and lawyers.

On the 2009 post, I question that Paul was born in 1652 and he join the Dragrons in 1657. This would make him 5 years old. How are the dates of birth and death determined without church records?

Dreena Davis
Regina, SK
Canada
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2019 :  04:09:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The 2009 Post links are probably gone. Here is a link to Simon Trondsen Heggen. At the bottom there are three sources listed.

Gausdal

Here are the sources

[S5] Årbok for Gudbrandsdalen 1970, Dølaringen og Gudbrandsdal Historielag, (Dølaringen Boklag, Lillehammer, 1970).

[S498] Skifteprotokoll 1 1720-1735, Sør-Gudbrandsdal, side 209b.

Here is a link to the page referenced. The time frame is 1720-1735. None of the people on this page would be alive in that time frame. So it is not clear to me whose probate record they are looking at. My guess would be Ole Mortensen EVENVOLD one of the descendants of Simen Trondsen HEGGEN.

Skifte Protocol

[S152] Slægter og Gaarder i Gausdal 1820 - 1824 (Kraabølsboka), Hans Kraabøl, (G. F. Gunnersen, Lillehammer 1922).

The Årbok (year book is likely not easily accessed by us. The Skifteprotokoll (Probate Record) should be found on Digital Arkivet. I will try and find it.

Here is an example of a Probate Record for Hans Thorson from 1692 . You can see his children listed on the left. Without parish records these are the type of records that people are using to try and trace their ancestors back past the mid 1600'sd.

The Krabøl book is Gneral History. You can contact the research librarian at UND with questions on that.

"Swanson, Michael" <michael.l.swanson@und.edu>

Edited by - AntonH on 15/06/2019 04:38:00
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article