All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Ancestors of Gunhild Eriksdtr Hovland
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cdahl
Medium member

USA
137 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2019 :  20:18:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Concerning family from Ardal in Sogn - Gunhild Eriksdtr Hovland, b. 7-13-1792, d. 1845; daugther of Anna Rolandsdtr Natvik b. 4-4-1752, d. 11-14-1837; daughter of Katarine Jorgensdtr Tangen b. 1719 in Tangen, d. 1790 in Ardal; daughter of Jorgen Sandersson b. 1675 in Tangen, d. 1760 who I have as the son of Sander Jorgensson Tangen b. about 1630 who was the son of Jorgen Tangen born about 1600. A family member doing research found that Jorgen Sandersen Kinserdal (who is the father of Katarine Jorgensdtr) was the son of Sander Robertsen Finlay who was born in Scotland. This record was found on Rootsweb and the owner is Terje. We are truly confused! Is Tangen a farm name in Luster/Ardal area? Are we talking about 2 different Sanders? About Per Halvorson Hovland, b. 2-11-1791 to Sigrid Salomansdtr and Halvor kristenson Fjosne and husband of Gunhild Eriksdtr - Is his given name Per or Peder? My info on the family came from the database of Neil Hofland. I know this is complicated but I will appreciate any clarification that I can get! Thank you!

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2019 :  21:18:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A farm name INDEX of the book(s) "Bygdebok for Årdal" is available as a link on the following webpage -
https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/%C3%85rdal_Parish,_Sogn_og_Fjordane,_Norway_Genealogy

There were Scots who came to Norway in the 1600s. When I was in Salt Lake City I looked through a book entitled "Skottene i Hordaland og Rogaland - fra aar 1500-1800". I have no ancestors from Sogn og Fjordane County and didn't look for such information about that area.

The spelling Per vs. Peder really wouldn't make a difference. Different writers - different spellings.
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9141 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2019 :  00:36:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You are far enough back in time that only a Bygdebok is going to shed much light on the Sandersen family.

You can find the Domicile Tangen in the Probate register for Indre Sogn judicial district 1666-1850 in the Digital Archives Advanced person search.

You can find a reference to Sander Robertsen in the 1701 Census for Indre Sogn fogderi. Year of birth is given as 1635, no location listed. Farm is given as Giesdal.

Link

Here is the baptism record for Catherina from 1719.

Catharina Jorgensdatter
in the Norway, Select Baptisms, 1634-1927
Name: Catharina Jorgensdatter
[Catharina Sandersen]
Baptism Date: 10 okt 1719 (10 Oct 1719)
Baptism Place: Lærdal, Sogn og Fjordane, Norway
Father: Jorgen Sandersen
FHL Film Number: 126469

Original record is first record in the far left hand column.

Link

Edited by - AntonH on 06/07/2019 01:34:10
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9141 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2019 :  00:49:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do see a Family Tree for this family on Geni.com. In that Tree they give the death location for Jørgen Sandersen Årdalstangen (Kinserdal) as Årdalstangen, Sogn og Fjordane, Norway. According to Wikipedia Årdalstangen is the administrative centre of the municipality Årdal in Sogn og Fjordane county, Norway. So maybe that is where the reference to Tangen comes from.

The Tree also refers to the father of Jørgen as Sander Robertson Kinserdal (Finlay) born in Scotland. No source is given.

Geni

Edited by - AntonH on 06/07/2019 00:50:50
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9141 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2019 :  01:38:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a Jørgen Zandersen living on Urnes in the 1701 Census, born about 1674 so probably your guy.

Edited by - AntonH on 06/07/2019 01:54:34
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9141 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2019 :  02:18:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a list of the Bygdebøker that are available at the University of North Dakota.

Skip over breadcrumbs and local navigation
HomeChester Fritz LibrarySpecial Collections Bygdebok CollectionÅrdal, Sogn og Fjordane
Årdal — Arne G. Brekke Bygdebok Collection
Årdal

Fylke
Sogn og Fjordane

Author Title Year Call Number Type Notes
Ve, S. et al. Bygdebok for Årdal, v. 1 1971 DL596.A25 B93 General
Krossen, D. et al. Bygdebok for Årdal, v. 2 1978 DL596.A25 B93 General
Bygdebok for Årdal, v. 3 1985 DL596.A25 B93 Farms
Laberg, J. Årdal i Sogn: Bygd og ætter 1932 DL596.A25 L32 General,Farms Facsimile copy

The book by Laberg is used to reference a Tree on Ancestry.com

Edited by - AntonH on 06/07/2019 02:23:55
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9141 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2019 :  02:22:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In a Tree on Ancestry.com the owner has listed the family as Robert Finlas and states in Norwegian (Translated )

"Birth
Dette er eit fiktivt namn, me kjenner ikkje for visst opphavet til denne slekta. Laberg har i bygdeboka for Balestrand (1934) skrive om Robertson-familien, som han meiner opphavleg har kome frå Shetland eller Orknøyane.

This is a fictitious name, but I do not know the origin of this family. In the bygdeboka for Balestrand (1934) Laberg has written about the Robertson family, which he thinks is originally from Shetland or Orkney."

The Tree lists four sons for Robert,
Oluf Robertson Lægreid abt 1600
Jon 1609
Sander 1620
David 1625

In the profile for Oluf the owner has added.

"Birth
Abt. 1600 • Bergen, Norway
Inner Sogn notes: Oluf Robertson, som etter Laberg kom som brukar på Lægreid etter 1624, kan vera ein bror til Sander og David Robertson. Tandsether i Digitalforum skriv at Oluf kanskje er bror til Sander, sagemeister i Kinsedalen i Hafslo. Kanskje er avst

Inner Sogn notes: Oluf Robertson, who according to Laberg came to Lægreid after 1624, may be a brother of Sander and David Robertson. Terje Tandsether in Digitalforum writes that Oluf may be Sander's brother, master sawmill in Kinsedalen in Hafslo. Perhaps it is ?"

Edited by - AntonH on 06/07/2019 03:10:31
Go to Top of Page

cdahl
Medium member

USA
137 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2019 :  18:38:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So interesting! This is a real puzzle for us. I really think everyone is on the right track. Thank you all!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article