All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 Jens Gunderson Aas of Gjerpen Skien Telemark?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ElizabethLawEvans
New on board

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2019 :  12:55:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello all;

One of my ancestors was Jens Gunderson (Aas) from Gjerpen. The family information I have relates that he was one of the first emigrants from the Gjerpen area in 1850, and moved to Wisconsin. We are traveling to Skien in early August and I would love to see the Aas farm, as well as the farms of other ancestors including: Meen, Stulen, Fjelldalen, Gulset, Kleven, and the Fossum Ironworks. We'd also love to see the Gjerpen church. I haven't had much luck getting in touch with people directly, so I'm hoping that you all might be able to help . . . thanks in advance!

Liz

Thanks,
Liz

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2019 :  18:25:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
what sources connect Jens Gunderson to this Aas farm? Do you have any links to online sources for this family?
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2019 :  20:19:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Who is it exactly that you are trying to get in touch with?

If you are just looking for old farms then you get to the area either already have a current map or find a place to buy one there. Keep in mind that the spellings may have changed and there is no guarantee that anyone living there now is related at all to prior residents. Also some farms may no longer exist - that is happening everywhere not just in the US.

169 years of time passed since you say you had an ancestor who left that area. Why should that make it clear who you are seeking today?
http://sites.rootsweb.com/~wgnorway/good-queries.htm

Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2019 :  22:37:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As the earlier posters have said some or even many of the old farms are gone now. But back in 2010 in answer to a question Kåre posted this about Meen.

"Dyre owned the farm Meen. In addition to the farm he ran a lumber trade and a saw mill. He was Lensmann (Sheriff) from about 1580. In 1575 he was church guardian. With two others ( Jørgen Pedersen Kier/Kjær and Arne Andersen Thofte) he was the first church guardian we know about from Gjerpen.
1580 he takes over Meen which was his inheritance.
Meen was one of the districts largest farms from the Skiensriver at Skien town to the eastern border of Siljan in west.
Earlier Meen belonged to the Monastery (Gimsøy Monastery)"

Look for Meen in Kart 1881 or many other Norwegian mapping sites. Put in Meen and look for Meen, Skien (Bruk (gardsbruk))

1881 Kart

Put in some farm names and you may find a few.

Edited by - AntonH on 22/07/2019 23:51:24
Go to Top of Page

ToreL
Advanced member

Norway
818 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2019 :  23:08:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Links to norgeskart.no: You can zoom in and out, and switch between map and areal photo: Gjerpen Church, Ås farms, Meen, Stulen, Fjelldalen, Gulset, Kleiva/Kleven. Only the powderhouse (Krutthuset) remains of Fossum Jernverk.

There is an online bygdebok for Gjerpen, apparently work in progress. There is a section on emigrants, but it is probably not complete, for I find no Jens Gundersen/Gunderson in the list of emigrants. According to the site, workers on the ironwork often lived on Ås farm and its subfarms.

Edited by - ToreL on 01/08/2019 14:41:21
Go to Top of Page

ElizabethLawEvans
New on board

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2019 :  17:45:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks to everyone who provided information and links, I appreciate it. I doubt I will have a chance to follow up on much of this before we leave since I now have a elderly parent with medical issues to deal with. But I really, really appreciate all the help. Thank you again.

Thanks,
Liz
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2019 :  19:51:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I checked "Emigrant kartotek Telemark frem til år 1900" and found no Jens Gunderson/Jens Gundersen/or Jens Aas/Ås in that microfilmed alphabetical list of emigrants from Telemark.
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2019 :  21:23:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That was my concern too. I've not found any Jens Gunderson living on an Aas farm in Gjerpen in the timeperiod in question, which lead to my original question about sources for this man.
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2019 :  00:08:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The source(s) of the information about Jens Gunderson Aas is of great interest to me also.
Go to Top of Page

ToreL
Advanced member

Norway
818 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2019 :  22:39:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At your tree at Ancestry you state that he was born in Froland, Aust-Agder. Is the connection to Gjerpen a new theory, or did he move from Froland to Gjerpen before he emigrated?
Go to Top of Page

ToreL
Advanced member

Norway
818 Posts

Posted - 26/07/2019 :  01:04:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jens Gundersen's parents in the tree, Gunder Aanonsen and Marte Jensdtr, seem right. In the 1860 US census, one Gunder Gundersen, 27 years old, lives with John/Jens Gundersen and his family, and the same Gunder Aanonsen and Marit Jensdatter did indeed have a son Gunder in 1831, just two years off.

Edited by - ToreL on 26/07/2019 09:36:52
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2019 :  03:23:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jens Gundersen
in the Norway, Select Baptisms, 1634-1927
Name: Jens Gundersen
Birth Date: 25 feb 1824
Baptism Date: 7 mar 1824
Baptism Place: Froland,Aust-Agder,Norway
Father: Gunder Aanonsen
Mother: Marthe Jensdr
FHL Film Number: 123529

John Gunderson
in the U.S., Find A Grave Index, 1600s-Current
Name: John Gunderson
Birth Date: 25 Feb 1824
Death Date: 29 Jul 1906
Cemetery: Gjerpen Cemetery
Burial or Cremation Place: Madsen, Manitowoc County, Wisconsin, United States of America
Has Bio?: N
Spouse: Marit Gunderson
Children: Sena Gunderson
Gunder G Gunderson
Go to Top of Page

ToreL
Advanced member

Norway
818 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2019 :  22:14:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Emigrant #15 from Froland 1849.
Go to Top of Page

ToreL
Advanced member

Norway
818 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2019 :  23:10:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is an excerpt from the piece on the subfarm Møglestue under the farm Jomås in the bygdebook for Froland. Note that the yonger brother Gunnar (=Gunder) emigrated a few years after Jens:

Edited by - ToreL on 29/07/2019 23:11:36
Go to Top of Page

ToreL
Advanced member

Norway
818 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2019 :  21:28:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I suspect you have confounded one of your ancestors with another. Simon Halvorsen ("Halverson") did in fact come from Ås in Gjerpen:

http://gamlegjerpen.no/Bygdebok/Aas/AasN_B.htm

Go to Top of Page

ElizabethLawEvans
New on board

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2019 :  15:10:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello all, and thank you for your continued replies. I must confess that I was really confused when I posted the original query -- ToreL, you're correct, I did confuse Simon Halvorsen with Jens Gunderson. The Halvorsens were from the Skien / Gjerpen area, and the Gundersons from Froland. Please accept my apologies -- I'm still trying to figure out which end is up with regards to my family tree. Thank you again.

Thanks,
Liz
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article