All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Knutson Family
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2019 :  04:54:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From the Grand Forks Daily HeraldThursday, Jan 25, 1883, Grand Forks, ND; Vol: 2 Issue: 70 Page: 1 column titled "Fisher":

"On Friday of last week, during the blizzard, Halvor Torgrimson, Jorgen Torgrimson, Jorgen Knutson, and Ole Hergusson started for their homes at the Red River. They had been indulging in too much cold tea, with the result causing them to spend the night on the open prairie. Jorgen Torgrimson got off scot free. but the other were badly frozen and it is expected that they will all lose some fingers and toes.Ole Hergusson was frozen the most and will miss part of foot in all probability, before he is out of the scrape."
Go to Top of Page

Jdkrags
Medium member

USA
84 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2019 :  17:02:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I may have found Sigrid Olsdatter’s (Asjer’s mother’s) birth record. Born 24 Feb 1813, baptized 18 Apr 1813 in Fyresdal. Index: https://www.digitalarkivet.no/en/view/255/pd00000012413905
Record: https://media.digitalarkivet.no/en/view/8009/53
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2019 :  17:46:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can pick up some more info by putting Todne Asb* in the Digitalarkivet main site and use Telemark and Fyresdal for Location. Here is a transcription for the baptism of Sigri and the marriage record for her and Ole in 1805.

Sigri

Marriage

Link

Edited by - AntonH on 23/08/2019 21:10:10
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2019 :  17:57:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Because of her unusual name more information can be found. He name is spelled a little different for the 1801 Census but by playing around with the Asb*, part of the name, this is likely her in the 1801 Census living on Wenum. Also given as her farm address in the marriage record. Her parents are Asbiøn Asbiønsen and Sigri Saavesdatter.

Doing that for her husband with a name like Ole Olsen is a bit more difficult.
Go to Top of Page

Jdkrags
Medium member

USA
84 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2019 :  19:12:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So do you think that those are the correct parents for Sigrid or should I keep digging?
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2019 :  21:20:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes I do think that these are the correct parents. For one thing the names ae unusual engough that their will not be many if any other candidates. Secondly the farm name for the 1801 Census is Weum Nord and the farm name attached to end of name of Tone Asbiønsdatter in the transcribed marriage record is also Wenum ( spelled a little different but basically the same name}

The farm name is some version of Veum Nordre and Veum or Weum is also a sub-parish in the main parish of Fyresdal, Telemark.

Here from the book on farm names by Oluf Rygh.

Listen over gårder er hentet fra "Norske Gaardnavne".

v.7, p.397
85. 86. Veum søndre og nordre. Udt. vé`ómm. #8213; i Vidhabø
[i Ragnildhahwsum], a Vidhum [(nordre Gaard)] DN. IX 363, 1483 Se
v.7,p.398 Oplysningerne om Sognets Navn S. 396. [a Vedum DN. 807 1561].
Wedum St. 200 b. 1585. 1593. 1602.1/1, 1/2. Veum med Tuet 1665.
Weum 1723.

Viðir, Dat. á Viðum, Flt. af viðr m., Skov, Træ (Indl. S. 85);
usammensat synes dette Ord som Stedsnavn kun at forekomme i Fler-
talsform.

Edited by - AntonH on 23/08/2019 21:37:16
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2019 :  22:10:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am back to Jørgen Knutsen again. I am thinking that Jørgen came to America in 1859 along with his two bothers. He came with Gunder and the other brother Kittel came the same year with his new wife. Gunder and Kittel settled in southern Minnesota in the counties of Fillmore and Houston. Perhaps Jørgen was there early after his arrival in 1859 and later moved north to Polk county. We have a bit of an information gap for the family from about 1860 to 1875. It would be nice to fill that in before you start adding them to your Tree.

Anyway here is the marriage of the parents Knud Kittelsen and Birgith Jørgensdatter from Nov 11, 1823.

The farm name after Knud is Omli, which may be Ombli, of Mo parish in Telemark. Also one of the witnesses is a Halvor Kittelsen.

With that information I would guess that this is the family in the 1801 Census on Omblie farm, Mo parish. father is a widower named Kittil Halvorsen and the two sons Knud and Halvor are listed. The birth year of Knud of about 1793 matches up with the age of 31 when he married in 1823.

From Ancestry

Knud Kittilsen
in the Norway, Select Baptisms, 1634-1927
Name: Knud Kittilsen
Baptism Date: 24 jun 1792
Baptism Place: , MO, Telemark, Norway
Father: Kittil Ombli
Mother: Signe Olsdr
FHL Film Number: 126960

Original record is the first entry at 3 p Trin on the left hand page. 3p Trin in 1792 was June 24.

Knud

Kittil is called Kittil Omblis in this record and the mother is referenced at the end after the ward Intro. Meaning reintroduced to the congregation.

Transcribed record

Link

Edited by - AntonH on 23/08/2019 22:48:56
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2019 :  23:03:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you rememberJackie back a few pages found this marriage record for a Jorgen Knudson in Caledonia, Houston, Minnesota. The bride has a name that does not look like Ajer Tovsdatter at first glance but one can conceive that a newly arrived ie two years resident could have said Asjgerd and the official heard Hester and turned Tovsdatter into Thompson.

Jorgen Knudson
in the Minnesota, Marriages Index, 1849-1950
Name: Jorgen Knudson
Marriage Date: 16 May 1871
Marriage Place: Caledonia, Houston, Minnesota
Spouse's name: Hester Thompson
Spouse Gender: Female
Event Type: Marriage
FHL Film Number: 1316885

The brother of Jørgen Knudsen Sandvik was married in the next county west Fillmore to a girl from Moland, Telemark.

Gunder Knudsen
in the Minnesota, Marriages Index, 1849-1950
Name: Gunder Knudsen
Marriage Date: 29 Jan 1862
Marriage Place: Fillmore, Minnesota
Spouse's name: Gunild Tarjesdatter
Spouse Gender: Female
FHL Film Number: 1316804

Gunder may have been married in Fillmore County but both he and his brother Kittel are found in Yucatan, Houston County in the 1870 US and 1875 Minnesota State Census.

Edited by - AntonH on 24/08/2019 02:57:00
Go to Top of Page

Jdkrags
Medium member

USA
84 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2019 :  23:37:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So you think this Jorgen Sandvik is the right one? Also, that link to Asjer Tovsdatter’s Geni tree: it looks like whoever made it replaced every “Ole” with “Olav”. Is it Ole or Olav?
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2019 :  01:48:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Names in Norwegian records tend to be more flexible than in modern times. A man could be listed as Ole, Ola, Olav, and Oluf in different records and still be the same man. It is likely that the man himself is not the person writing his name in the record but some parish priest or official.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2019 :  08:44:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is an "Esther Tofsdatter" in the 1870 census in Fillmore county Minnesota:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MDH9-C7X :
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-XX6S-87Z?i=7&cc=1438024&personaUrl=%2Fark%3A%2F61903%2F1%3A1%3AMDH9-C7X

In the 1880 census, Asjer is called "Esther".

It's an interesting problem about Jorgen, since there are so few facts about him over here (his life was short) and he is living in the 1885 census yet his headstone has him dying in 1884...

Edited by - jkmarler on 24/08/2019 09:02:03
Go to Top of Page

Jdkrags
Medium member

USA
84 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2019 :  04:18:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So here’s what I think. Jorgen Knutson Sandvik is probably the right husband. He married Asjer Tovsdatter in Caledonia and “Esther Tofsdatter” in the 1870 Census in Fillmore is the correct Asjer. As for the death date dilemma with Jorgen, we’ll have to do some more research on that and confirm a date.
Go to Top of Page

Jdkrags
Medium member

USA
84 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2019 :  05:58:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So is it more probable that Jorgen’s stated death date on his headstone is incorrect instead of the census? I would assume so because you had to check in to the Census in person back then. The Jorgen on the Census and the Jorgen on the headstone are the same person correct?
Go to Top of Page

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2019 :  22:56:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I originally asked YOU if that census was possibly the family you were looking for. You never answered my question.

quote:
Is it possible that the family is shown in the 1885 state census for Polk Co.? Only the original poster will know whether or not their children closely match what is given on that document.
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MQX2-S2J

I also gave you my best advice for another source to look into for info on the family but you don't seem interested in that either.
quote:
22/08/2019 : 03:45:15
Jonah -- Consider looking for the church congregation in Polk Co. MN where they were members...
<Snip>
Go to Top of Page

Jdkrags
Medium member

USA
84 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2019 :  00:39:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I’m very sorry about that. To answer your first question, yes that is the correct family on the 1885 census in Polk Co. Bertea is my 2x great grandmother. As for looking in the church congregation, I assume they would be apart of the St Petri Congregation in Nielsville (because they lived there for a time). I don’t know how to go about searching in the congregation, my ancestry acc subscription expired sometime ago. They also lived in Hubbard Township and Climax for awhile. They could’ve been apart of any of those churches and I’m not sure which.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article