All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 PASSENGER LISTS AND EMIGRANTS
 Hunting Passenger Lists
 Seeking Olsens' voyage to Fisher Minnesota
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

RonThack
Starting member

Canada
5 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2019 :  18:39:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Hallo. I have been seeking the transatlantic immigration of my GGGrandmother and daughters for a long time. I know that they left Vadso, Finnmark, Norway in late October 1889, bound for Trondheim. I have found their immigration record from Trondheim, as below:

30/10 1889 Allan Line : SS Domino Destination Fisher’s Landing Minnesota America
No. 3864 Nicoline J.(ohanna) Olsen 34 Vadso
3865 Hannah (Mathilda) 4 “”
3866 Jenny (Christine) 1 “”

The SS Domino was their Wilson Line feeder ship out of Trondheim on 1889-10-30; thereafter it sailed to Christiansund - Aalesund – Hull, England. I presume a train to Liverpool, but could have easily been Glasgow or London.

I cannot find their transatlantic record. I searched corresponding ships for the SS DOMINO , then searched the manifests for the Line’s SS Siberian (1889-11-08); SS Carthaginian (1889-11-11) for the month of November, even SS Circassian in December (1889-12-09) to no avail.

These Olsens did reside in Fisher’s Landing (1895 census) and Crookston (1900 census), Minnesota, so I know they made it. Husband Johan Olsen sailed from Trondheim on 21 August 1888 aboard the SS Hero of the BEAVER line, with the same declared destination. Just cannot track them down.

Any help/assistance would be greatly appreciated
Thank you
Ron

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2019 :  21:37:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes finding the records for the voyage to America is one of the more difficult tasks. The transcriptions can at times vary a lot from the real names. Sometimes one can look for and find others who travelled at the same time as the person of interest. Here is a link to the Digitalarkivet record for the sailing. Using that one can find other passengers who may if one is lucky travelled the same path and are easier to find.

Link

Original record

In this list below Nicoline is a Brita M Mikkola age 19, number 3869. Not on the Allan line, but likely arriving in November of 1889.

Here for the record is likely her arrival record. No sign of your Nicoline that I could see on the same page. But we should probably look for Nicoline and chidren arriving in November or early December of 1889.

Brita M Mikkola
in the New York, Passenger and Crew Lists (including Castle Garden and Ellis Island), 1820-1957
Name: Brita M Mikkola
Arrival Date: 21 Nov 1889
Birth Date: abt 1870
Ethnicity/ Nationality: Swedish
Place of Origin: Sweden
Port of Departure: Liverpool, England and Queenstown, Ireland
Destination: United States of America
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Wisconsin

Edited by - AntonH on 26/09/2019 23:12:05
Go to Top of Page

RonThack
Starting member

Canada
5 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2019 :  23:06:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Lyndal. Thanks for your assistance.

I had never thought to try and track others on the same feeder voyage or final destination. Likewise, even though the police record for Nicoline and girls stated ALLAN line, I didn't think that I should look at other lines around the same time.

regards
Ron
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 26/09/2019 :  23:16:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The one I would love to find is Bereth Lars. Østby and her child Ragnhild who left at the same time and on the Allan Line. They however are proving about as difficult to find as your Nicoline.

But I did find the arrival of passenger 3859

Hendrick Kivela
in the New York, Passenger and Crew Lists (including Castle Garden and Ellis Island), 1820-1957
Name: Hendrick Kivela
Arrival Date: 16 Nov 1889
Birth Date: abt 1844
Ethnicity/ Nationality: Norwegian
Place of Origin: Norway
Port of Departure: Liverpool, England and Queenstown, Ireland
Destination: New York
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: City of Berlin

But not anyone you are looking for.

Edited by - AntonH on 27/09/2019 02:03:11
Go to Top of Page

RonThack
Starting member

Canada
5 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2019 :  02:03:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have placed your people in my shoebox, lest I come across them in my continued search.

many thanks

Ron
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2019 :  07:34:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
John Olson is listed as an alien in the 1900 census, but if he ever did attempt to become a citizen the first papers might contain information about his port of entry and date in US.

This appears to be John in 1905 Minnesota state census:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SP35-SVV
Go to Top of Page

RonThack
Starting member

Canada
5 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2019 :  20:22:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for this, I hadn't seen the 1905 census for the family; nor where he is listed as alien. Pursuant to same, I have searched the naturalization records, but nothing... yet. Many thanks for the info/direction

regards
Ron, on left 'left coast' of Canada
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2019 :  22:47:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This may be John in the 1910 US census, birth year is approximately correct and the migration year is correct. The problem is he is listed s single:
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M2P3-8GD
Go to Top of Page

RonThack
Starting member

Canada
5 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2019 :  05:48:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you again for your efforts. Yes, this is my Johan (John) Olsen. He is single because wife Nicoline Johanna died in Aug 1906 . Incidentally, this is also the year in which their residence at 320 Hurlbut is either torn down and /or rebuilt. Johan sells the family home after his wife's death and elects to lodge with the new owner , Mr. Hemingson. Johan immigrates to Canada by 1914 to join his two surviving daughters.

many thanks
Ron
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2019 :  19:59:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, if the 1910 John is yours then he got naturalized between 1900 and 1910 if both census notations are correct. Most likely in Polk county, too.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article