All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 Norwegians in America
 July 28 2020 in Oslo Finding Albertina Amundsen
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

Randall Fisher

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2020 :  16:47:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Norway-Heritage, et al.

I last posted in 2012 chasing a possible connection of my Ancestry DNA match of Albertina Bronson Amundsen, father Guttorm Amundsen and mother Elise Marthine Saether, to the explorer Roald Amundsen. With no success, I am changing the direction of my research to Albertina’s original Norwegian homestead. I need help finding her address and planning a historical sightseeing day.

This coming summer, on July 28, 2020, my family and I will be visiting Oslo for the very first time (probably only time) from 0800 a.m. to 500 p.m. My ship is Holland America Nieuw Statendam. I want to make every minute count!

Can someone PLEASE help me locate the Albertina homestead? And suggest a private personal tour guide that is great in introducing the Norwegian culture?

I again look forward to hearing from someone able to help.
Very Respectfully, Dr. Randall Fisher, Virginia, USA[/size=3]

Dr. Randall Fisher

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9141 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2020 :  17:28:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Clicking on your name does not reveal any earlier posts. Did you post under another name?

I see some postings under the name NearNorsewood.

http://www.norwayheritage.com/snitz/pop_printer_friendly.asp?
TOPIC_ID=2139

http://www.norwayheritage.com/snitz/topic.asp?
TOPIC_ID=2139&SearchTerms=randyfisher

Page 6
Hi everyone. I am new to this website. Hopefully someone can help me. I have been told that my Great Great Grandmother is somehow related to Roald Amundsen. Her name is Albertia Bronson Amundsen born 1842(3) in Xstiania. Her father is Guttorm Amundsen. Albertia married Mr. Christian John Danielson born 1825 in Nannestad. They married in 1859. Albertia and Christian had children, in which one daughter is Elizabeth Christine Danielson, born 1875 of Medford, USA, my Great Grandmother.

I have also found papers with her name spelled: Dorothea Albertian Amundson. But her tombstone says Albertie Bronson Amundsen.

I am not familiar with any websites in Norway. I greatly appreciate any help. Very Respectfully, Randy Fisher of Washington, D.C.

Page 6

Edited by - AntonH on 26/01/2020 18:24:57
Go to Top of Page

Randall Fisher

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2020 :  17:35:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Lynda. In 2012 my name on this site was Randy Fisher. RandyFisher. Starting member. USA. 6 Posts Someone named "eibache" replied most of the time. Under the blog: Roald Amundsen (1872-1928), Norwegian Explorer

Does this help?

Dr. Randall Fisher
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9141 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2020 :  17:52:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well the topic I posted a link to above is quite a length one. Here is a link to the baptism of Albertine I retrieved from the topic. Yes Einar did provide a lot of information for you in that topic.. I will try and grab the most useful of the eight pages to save us some searching time.

Your GGGrandmother was baptized Albertine May 17 1843, see #118
Kildeinformasjon: Oslo fylke, Oslo Domkirke / Vår Frelsers menighet, Ministerialbok nr. 12 (1837-1845), Fødte og døpte 1843, side 401-402.
Permanent sidelenke: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=654&idx_id=654&uid=ny&idx_side=-203.
Her parents were Guttorm Amundsen and Elise Sæther.

The parents were married April 15 1842, see #8
Kildeinformasjon: Oslo fylke, Garnisonsmenigheten, Ministerialbok nr. 8 (1842-1859), Ekteviede 1842, side 325.
Permanent sidelenke: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=611&idx_id=611&uid=ny&idx_side=-326.

Guttorm Amundsen came from Hof i Solør and his father was Amund Guttormsen, Trapperud. He was baptized Jan 1 1813, see 3rd record on left page
Kildeinformasjon: Hedmark fylke, Hof, Ministerialbok nr. 4 (1790-1815), Fødte og døpte 1813, side 390-391.
Permanent sidelenke: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=9160&idx_id=9160&uid=ny&idx_side=-197.
His parents Amund Guttormsen and Helene Tostensdatter, Nygaarden.

Amund Guttormsen and Elene Torstensdatter (Helene Tostensdatter) were married April 25 1810, see 13th record on left page
Kildeinformasjon: Hedmark fylke, Hof, Ministerialbok nr. 4 (1790-1815), Ekteviede 1810-1811, side 456-457.
Permanent sidelenke: http://www.arkivverket.no/URN:kb_read?idx_kildeid=9160&idx_id=9160&uid=ny&idx_side=-230.

Edited by - AntonH on 26/01/2020 17:57:23
Go to Top of Page

Randall Fisher

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2020 :  18:25:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Lynda, to be clear, I am not looking for my old blog. I am now looking for Albertina’s original house address. I want to visit it during my summer one day visit. Can you help me locate the address? Best, Randy

Dr. Randall Fisher
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9141 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2020 :  18:26:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Randy click on my User Name. I am not named Lynda.

Do you know the address where she lived in Norway.

If not I am trying to find it by finding her or her family in the 1865 Census.

What year did she emigrate from Norway.

Edited by - AntonH on 26/01/2020 18:28:17
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2020 :  19:05:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The birth / baptism of Albertine gives her parents "farm" address as Kirkegaden. So the church farm or farm by the church or even the street (gada) by the church. The church in question? Probably Our Savior's (Var Frelsers) the Domkirke. You may or may not find any kind of address number.

If all goes well, there is a Guttorm Amundsen on this list of Oslo folk from the Christiania Intellegentssedler dated 31 Jan 1843. It appears to be a tax list of some sort but I can't get it focused enough to read it.

https://www.nb.no/items/b031bd01e89a62695fe44c0ceeb7f22a?page=1&searchText=%22guttorm%20amundsen%22

Edited by - jkmarler on 26/01/2020 19:39:12
Go to Top of Page

Randall Fisher

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2020 :  19:56:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello Anton, I apologize for mixing your name. And thank you Jackie for your reply. To answer Anton's question when did Albertine come to the United States - I only see the following text: On Ancestry for Albertine Bronson Amundsen is says she married Christian Danielson in Oslo, Oslo, Norway, on April 14, 1859, when she was 16 years old. Then it says Albertine's son Carl Gustav Christensen was born on November 9, 1859, in Medford, Wisconsin. Towards the end of the activity listing, it says Albertine died in 1879 in Wisconsin when she was 36 years old.

I will Google "Kirkegaden" to see if I can find the location. If you happen to find more evidence, please post. Thank you Anton and Jackie! Randy

Dr. Randall Fisher
Go to Top of Page

Randall Fisher

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2020 :  20:09:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jackie and Anton. One angle to maybe help find Albertines homestead address -- one of her sons is reported in Ancestry born in the USA but died at 18 years old in Domkirken, Oslo, Akershus, Norway. Would his death reports show an address?

Ancestry states: When Carl Gustav Christensen Danielson was born on November 9, 1859, in Medford, Wisconsin, his father, Christian, was 34 and his mother, Albertine, was 16. Carl had one brother and one sister. Carl died as a teenager on September 19, 1878, in Norway, and was buried in Oslo, Norway. 27 Nov 1859, Domkirken, Oslo, Akershus, Norway. Carl Gustav Christensen Danielson died on September 19, 1878, in Norway when he was 18 years old.

Does this extra information help find the address? Best, Randy

Dr. Randall Fisher
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9141 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2020 :  22:01:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that this record would indicate that Carl Gustav was born in Norway.

Carl Gustav Christensen
in the Norway, Select Baptisms, 1634-1927
Name: Carl Gustav Christensen
Birth Date: 9 nov 1859
Baptism Date: 27 nov 1859
Baptism Place: Domkirken, Oslo, Akershus, Norway
Father: Christian Danielsen
Mother: Albertine Amundsen
FHL Film Number: 255750

Original baptism record

This record is likely the death you mentioned in your last post.

Carl Gustav Christensen
in the Norway, Select Burials, 1666-1927
Name: Carl Gustav Christensen
Marital status: Single
Death Date: 19 sep 1878
Death Place: Oslo, Norway
Burial Place: Sagene/Uranienborg/etc./, Oslo, Norway
FHL Film Number: 1283270
Reference ID: Bk5 p2 n 14

I am a little confused about when they came to Wisconsin?

Edited by - AntonH on 26/01/2020 22:28:25
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2020 :  22:05:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kirkegaden (today spelled Kirkegata) translates to "Church street", and is located in the centre of Oslo city, only a minute walk from the port where the Nieuw Statendam will dock on July 28th. The street goes from the Oslo Dome (Oslo Domkirke) down to the Akershus castle.
Guttorm Amundsen was an oboist (a musician who plays the oboe) and had a liquor shop.

Edited by - jwiborg on 26/01/2020 22:26:34
Go to Top of Page

Randall Fisher

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2020 :  22:31:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Anton, why would Albertine move to the USA at age 16? Maybe her new older husband had a job or other relatives that invited them. Maybe Albertine's parents disapproved of her pregnancy. Is it a good question, but hard to answer. Does the death of her first son Carl Gustav Christensen record show any residency or address? Is there anyway to find that address?

Hi Jan, that map is really great. So to Jackie's point, maybe Albertine was baptized in "Our Savior's (Var Frelsers) the Domkirke." Is that located on Kirkegata?

When we walk around for the day in Oslo, I want to try and find special locations - maybe this church is the first stop. Would Carl's cemetery be another stop? Sagene/Uranienborg

Thank you everyone! Very Respectfully, Randy

Dr. Randall Fisher
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2020 :  22:47:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Our Savior's church" (Var Frelsers kirke) is the same as Oslo Domkirke.

Go to Top of Page

Randall Fisher

USA
43 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2020 :  22:53:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Jan. Do you provide private tours around the city? Or can you recommend someone that understands the Oslo and Norwegian history? We have 3 in our party. Thank you so much for helping. I hope Anton or Jackie can find a house or farm where Albertine lived OR Carl died. That would be a neat to see. Best, Randy

Dr. Randall Fisher
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2020 :  23:03:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, I do not live in Oslo...
There should be possible to buy guided tours on the ship or at the port.
Can also recommend the official travel guide to Oslo: https://www.visitoslo.com/en/
Picture of Kirkegaden and "Our Savior's church", about 1907:

Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2020 :  23:51:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Guttorm Amundsen died 12.Jan.1850
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article