All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 My Great Great Grandfather
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

NATaylorTurner
Starting member

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2020 :  03:28:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
I am trying to find anything about my Great Great Grandfather Edward Johnson b Nov 1852 in Norway somewhere. I think his middle initial was A. He died in 1929 in the US, I think in Washington State.
I think he immigrated and then married Gurine Brustad or Berg in 1881, not sure how he got here and I think she was here already. His father was John but not sure of his family names.
I know of no siblings for him either. I would love to find out anything I can about Edward A Johnson!
Does anyone know why Edward's wife Gurine's last name is listed on her daughter, Ethel's wedding certificate was Berg? I haven't seen her anywhere with Berg associated. Was there possibly another spouse of Anna Jonetta named Berg? Any ideas?
I cannot figure this out and also why I do not find Ethel Edwina Johnson anywhere. I saw she was born in Ashland Wisconsin as was her brother Arther which I do not see much information on either.
Edward and Gurine are listed as the parents of bothe Ethel E Johnson and Arther G Johnson but I find very little about them.
I find about others in the family but not my connected people!
I will be thankful for any information.
Nancy

Nancy Turner

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2020 :  03:57:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lets make sure we are researching the correct person. Is this the Edward Johnson you are interested in?

Edward Johnson
in the U.S., Find A Grave Index, 1600s-Current
Name: Edward Johnson
Birth Date: 1852
Birth Place: Norway
Death Date: 2 Apr 1929
Death Place: Tacoma, Pierce County, Washington, United States of America
Cemetery: Mountain View Memorial Park
Burial or Cremation Place: Lakewood, Pierce County, Washington, United States of America
Has Bio?: Y
Spouse: Gurine J Johnson

Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2020 :  04:17:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The wife of Edward Johnson was named Gurine Brustad. The Berg name is from a wedding record of one of her children and was used by her when she emigrated from Noway. . Her parents are listed in a tree and given below. However that has some questions as she is listed as being born in 1857. The earlier thread needs to be read for the details of the parents of Gurine.

http://www.norwayheritage.com/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5236&SearchTerms=anton,brustad

Sivert Zachariassen Brustad
1838–1914
BIRTH 1838 • Ytterøy, Nord-Trondelag, Norway
DEATH 31 DEC 1914

and

Anna Jonetta Jonsen Stokke
1834–1936
BIRTH 1 MAR 1834 • Steinkjer, Nord-Trondelag, Norway

Here is their marriage record.

Sivert Zachariassen Brustad
in the Norway, Select Marriages, 1660-1926
Name: Sivert Zachariassen Brustad
Marital status: Single
Birth Date: 1838
Marriage Date: 31 mai 1885 (31 May 1885)
Marriage Place: Trondheim, Sør-Trøndelag, Norway
Father: Zacharias Nilsen
Spouse: Anne Jonetta Johnsdatter
FHL Film Number: 1282722
Reference ID: Bk2 P408 Cn24

Edited by - AntonH on 08/02/2020 05:45:36
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2020 :  04:19:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The ancestry of Edward Johnson may be a bit harder to figure out.

Edward Johnson
in the Washington, Select Death Certificates, 1907-1960
Marital status: Married
Estimated birth year: abt 1854
Death Place: Tacoma, Pierce, Washington
Father: John Johnson
Spouse: Gurnie Johnson
FHL Film Number: 2022650
Reference ID: 348
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2020 :  04:23:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is his record from the 1900 US Census.

Ed Johnson
in the 1900 United States Federal Census

Name: Ed Johnson
Birth Date: Nov 1852
Birthplace: Norway
Home in 1900: Little Falls Ward 2, Morrison, Minnesota
Ward of City: 2
Street: 7th Street
House Number: 806
Sheet Number: 7
Number of Dwelling in Order of Visitation: 118
Family Number: 127
Race: White
Immigration Year: 1881
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's name: Gurino Johnson
Marriage Year: 1881
Father's Birthplace: Norway
Mother's Birthplace: Norway
Years in US: 19
Naturalization: Na
Months Not Employed: 2
Can Read: Yes
Can Write: Yes
Can Speak English: Yes
House Owned or Rented: O
Home Free or Mortgaged: F
Farm or House: F
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
Ed Johnson 47
Gurino Johnson 43
Ethel Johnson 13
A Garfold Johnson 10
Go to Top of Page

NATaylorTurner
Starting member

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2020 :  04:27:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lyndal40

Lets make sure we are researching the correct person. Is this the Edward Johnson you are interested in?

Edward Johnson
Burial or Cremation Place: Lakewood, Pierce County, Washington, United States of America

Yes, thank you lyndal40, this is the one. I see below already you have given clarity to the names. Who was a couple when married etc. (You guys work fast! :) )
When did they Immigrate, do you know? I don't think together is that correct? If I remember Gurine immigrated first and then when Edward immigrated they married?
Also curious about Gurine's parents, I know her Mom, Anna Jonetta immigrated but maybe Sivert died before? Would Anna come over by herself? or with other family?
Thanks,
Nancy

Nancy Turner

Edited by - NATaylorTurner on 08/02/2020 04:36:59
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2020 :  04:38:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gurine Johnson
in the Minnesota, Territorial and State Censuses, 1849-1905
Name: Gurine Johnson
Census Date: 1 May 1885
County: Goodhue
Locality: Wanamingo
Birth Location: Norway
Estimated birth year: abt 1857
Line: 19
Roll: MNSC_26
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2020 :  04:53:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmm, have we not already gone through this search some years ago I think a reading of your previous thread is in order before much more work is done.

http://www.norwayheritage.com/snitz/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=5236&SearchTerms=anton,brustad

Perhaps you can read the earlier thread and tell us what further information you want rather than have us redo all the earlier work.

It seems to me that a lot of information was found on Gurine and her side of the family, but not much was found out about Edward Johnson.

Edited by - AntonH on 08/02/2020 05:48:54
Go to Top of Page

NATaylorTurner
Starting member

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2020 :  18:52:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am looking for clarity. The notes you just sent me to says that Sivert and Anna Jonetta were married in 1885, but their daughter Gurine was born in 1857. Also Sivert was born in 1838, if this was their first marriage, kinda weird to be so old as well. Is it possible this was not their first marriages?
I was really trying to find out more about Edward A Johnson and Gurine J Johnson but all these questions about her parents and dates and siblings etc keep arising. I appreciate so much the help though. Was so glad to find this site and it has helped me a lot!
I have my Great Grandmothers marriage record and it clearly says her mother's maiden name was Gurine Berg. Have always questioned it. At first I thought that maybe it was her first marriage name but it didn't make sense. But is it possible that Anna Jonetta was married before ant that Severt Brustad is not her true father? Just the late date of Severt and Anna's marriage makes me wonder.
Thank you! I have a bunch more responses to go over so I will get to them and maybe get clarity from several more sources.
Nancy

quote:

Hmm, have we not already gone through this search some years ago I think a reading of your previous thread is in order before much more work is done.

Perhaps you can read the earlier thread and tell us what further information you want rather than have us redo all the earlier work.

It seems to me that a lot of information was found on Gurine and her side of the family, but not much was found out about Edward Johnson.

Nancy Turner
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2020 :  22:45:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the response Nancy. Perhaps many of the questions on Gurine can be answered from your early thread.

Your first question was

quote:
I am looking for clarity. The notes you just sent me to says that Sivert and Anna Jonetta were married in 1885, but their daughter Gurine was born in 1857. Also Sivert was born in 1838, if this was their first marriage, kinda weird to be so old as well. Is it possible this was not their first marriages?

Gurine was born June 10, 1858 with the name Gurine Josephine. Mother is listed as Jonetta Johnsdatter Kolberg (Anna Jonette) father is listed as Bernt Kristophersen or Kristiansen Loftbergsplads.

Anna Jonette was unmarried at the time that Gurine was born in 1858. Later in her life when Gurine was about 20 years old, Anna Jonette married Sivert Zachariassen Brustad. That was in 1885. Gurine was on her own by then. So Anna Jonette was the mother of Gurine but Sivert was only her step-father. Very little is known of the father of Gurine except that he was married at the time but not to Anna Jonette.

Edited by - AntonH on 08/02/2020 22:47:04
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2020 :  23:11:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Your second question is about where does the name Berg come from.

quote:
I have my Great Grandmothers marriage record and it clearly says her mother's maiden name was Gurine Berg. Have always questioned it. At first I thought that maybe it was her first marriage name but it didn't make sense

Yes Gurine did use the last name of Berg. It is unclear where the name came from.

In the 1865 Census she is named Gurine Berntsdatter after her father Bernt Kristophersen. She is working for a family in Inderøy as a servant girl (Tjenestepige}.

https://www.digitalarkivet.no/en/census/person/pf01038342004751

In the 1875 Census she is again named Gurine Berntsdatter and is working for a family as a servant girl {Tjenestepige} in Trondheim.

https://www.digitalarkivet.no/en/census/person/pf01052359008175

In 1881 is the first time I have found her using the last name Berg. She is called Gurine Berg when she left Trondheim for America. She was unmarried at the time.

https://www.digitalarkivet.no/en/view/8/pe00000000067393

Later in America she also used the last name Berg several times. I do not know why she used that name but Berg is quite a common name in Norway.

Edited by - AntonH on 08/02/2020 23:13:17
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2020 :  23:17:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I was really trying to find out more about Edward A Johnson

Your third question is at present lacking much information. The only information, I have seen so far is various records but all of them in America. For example this 1900 US Census.

Ed Johnson
in the 1900 United States Federal Census
Name: Ed Johnson
Birth Date: Nov 1852
Birthplace: Norway
Home in 1900: Little Falls Ward 2, Morrison, Minnesota
Ward of City: 2
Street: 7th Street
House Number: 806
Sheet Number: 7
Number of Dwelling in Order of Visitation: 118
Family Number: 127
Immigration Year: 1881
Relation to Head of House: Head
Spouse's name: Gurino Johnson
Marriage Year: 1881
Father's Birthplace: Norway
Mother's Birthplace: Norway
Years in US: 19
Naturalization: Na
Months Not Employed: 2
Can Read: Yes
Can Write: Yes
Can Speak English: Yes
House Owned or Rented: O
Home Free or Mortgaged: F
Farm or House: F
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
Ed Johnson 47
Gurino Johnson 43
Ethel Johnson 13
A Garfold Johnson 10

Edited by - AntonH on 09/02/2020 00:54:51
Go to Top of Page

NATaylorTurner
Starting member

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2020 :  03:40:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you so much this is new information for ma and it helps me at least have more knowledge that she did use Berg and why Sivert and Anna were married way after Gurine was born.
Thanks again, Nancy

quote:

Thanks for the response Nancy. Perhaps many of the questions on Gurine can be answered from your early thread.

Your first question was

quote:

Gurine was born June 10, 1858 with the name Gurine Josephine. Mother is listed as Jonetta Johnsdatter Kolberg (Anna Jonette) father is listed as Bernt Kristophersen or Kristiansen Loftbergsplads.

Anna Jonette was unmarried at the time that Gurine was born in 1858. Later in her life when Gurine was about 20 years old, Anna Jonette married Sivert Zachariassen Brustad. That was in 1885. Gurine was on her own by then. So Anna Jonette was the mother of Gurine but Sivert was only her step-father. Very little is known of the father of Gurine except that he was married at the time but not to Anna Jonette.

Nancy Turner
Go to Top of Page

NATaylorTurner
Starting member

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2020 :  03:42:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, a tad bit more info! Thanks, Nancy

quote:
Originally posted by NATaylorTurner

Thank you so much this is new information for ma and it helps me at least have more knowledge that she did use Berg and why Sivert and Anna were married way after Gurine was born.
Thanks again, Nancy

quote:

Your first question was

quote:

Nancy Turner
Go to Top of Page

NATaylorTurner
Starting member

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2020 :  03:57:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So I guess then that I am probably not going to find much more about Edward Johnson before he came to America? I was hoping to see siblings or more information on his parents etc. I think his middle initial was A and if I knew what it stood for it might help me find more info on the American sites I use, as probably like Norway, Edward Johnson is a very common name. Also was Johnson in Norway Johnson or Johnsen or something else?
I really do appreciate you helping me so much! This has great meaning to be able to do this for my Mom's 90th birthday.
Nancy

quote:

Edward Johnson

Nancy Turner
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2020 :  06:15:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure this has surfaced before. In the 1895 Minnesota State Census there is a 13 boy John Johnson born North Dakota in the household in addition to Ethel and Garfield:
image: https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-67WX-QK?i=40&personaUrl=%2Fark%3A%2F61903%2F1%3A1%3AMQD1-HQ5
abstract: https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MQD1-HQ5

So residences of the family about 1882 North Dakota, 1886 Wisconsin, 1890 Wisconsin, and 1891 Minnesota (based on the 1895 census report of 4 years in the state and 4 years in this enumeration district)

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article