All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Roros-Roraas and Miners
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

halvelm1
Medium member

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2020 :  20:24:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a question about the nature of this area of Sor Trondelag. In the 1801 census it is divided into parish and another area I believe to be a more rural area on the outskirts. The ancestors I am researching apparently migrated to this area and later moved on to work in the Kongsberg silver mines. What kind of mines were in Roros in the mid 1700's? Did the miners live on farms or housing associated with the mines? From searching the churchbooks it seems when they moved to Kongsberg they only attached Roros or Roraas to their name rather than a farm name. One unusual name used as a farm name is "Corporal". Anyone familiar with that place?

Unrelated question - would Mogn an Moen be considered separate names, or Moens a corruption of Mogn?

Larry H

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2020 :  23:26:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can you please share working URL links to some of these items you are looking at? For instance, the 1801 census enumeration for the family you are tracking, the document or evidence that this same family or person then moved to Kongsberg, a link to that use of the word "Corporal" in what location.

Who are the ancestors you are researching?

The 1801 census for Rĝros (Rĝraas) clerical district includes the parishes of Rĝros, Glċmos, and Brekken.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2020 :  00:40:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The database at the Digitalarkivet has about 117 people with the surname Corporal in a wide variety of places (including Roraas) and through several centuries.
Go to Top of Page

halvelm1
Medium member

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2020 :  19:20:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am trying to trace the ancestors of Nicolay Jaeger # 2299 in the 1801 census (Kongsberg, Syde-banen, No. 461) and his first wife. Nicolai's first wife was Kiersten (Kisti) Mogensdatter, Roraas. Nicolai's full name was Nicolai Olsen Jaegers as used in most of the church records. I have established a list of his, and his brother Peder's children, with the godparents. One son Lars is in the 1801 census #1875 at Sandsvaer Moen No. 349. From this list I have speculated that his mother may have been Abellone Catherine Nicolaisdatter, Lyindt or Anne Magrethe Mognsdatter and father Ole Mogensen Roraas. Kiersten's father also may be Mogn Olsen Roraas. Because of limitations in Rorass church records have been unable to prove anything. Many names spelled Moen in Rorass, most In Konsberg spelled as Mogn. Corporal shows up used as farm name with Moen spelling in Roraas.

Larry H
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9141 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2020 :  22:06:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Links always help.

1801 Census

https://www.digitalarkivet.no/en/census/person/pf01058268002722

The name fits but the domicile is 0422 Skyde-banen

second marriage

https://www.digitalarkivet.no/en/view/327/pv00000001486158

fadder for Lars

https://www.digitalarkivet.no/en/view/255/pd00000006284401

died in 1802

https://www.digitalarkivet.no/en/view/267/pg00000001177235

Edited by - AntonH on 16/07/2020 22:16:56
Go to Top of Page

halvelm1
Medium member

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2020 :  23:19:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for your help. I did not have any links because I am picking up work I did 15-20 years ago. I was working from old print-outs and notes. I need to familiarize myself with the Digitalarkivet of today and it's search capabilities.
One new item from these links is the possible name of a daughter of Nicolai - Margrethe Maria apparently born around 1800 with second wife. Is this is from her death & burial records? Must have died before census.

The other new info is Nicolais Olsen Jaegers death in 1802. Can anyone translate the cause of death?

I have found his wife's (Kirsten Mogensdatter) birth (22 June 1749) in the Roraas church book, so I am now pretty sure her father was Moens Olsen Corporals despite the different spelling of Mogns. Curiously, most of the spelling in Kongsberg books was Mogn/ in Roraas books Moen.

Larry H
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 18/07/2020 :  00:07:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My rough translation worked to death in the mine. Beg corrections from forumites.
Go to Top of Page

halvelm1
Medium member

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 19/07/2020 :  22:57:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am still looking for more information about Corporal in Roraas parish. In the 1727-1766 (1640P) searchable there are several entries where it is listed as a "position" in the tables rather than a location. Also, a case where a (.) period was before Corporal when listed after the patronymic. In the scanned images of church records it always comes after the patronymic like a farm name. The occupations of several of these men indicate there was a smelter there. Could Corporal be an industrial area near the mines? Any military in that area?

Larry H
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2020 :  20:45:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by halvelm1

I have a question about the nature of this area of Sor Trondelag. In the 1801 census it is divided into parish and another area I believe to be a more rural area on the outskirts. The ancestors I am researching apparently migrated to this area and later moved on to work in the Kongsberg silver mines. What kind of mines were in Roros in the mid 1700's? Did the miners live on farms or housing associated with the mines? From searching the churchbooks it seems when they moved to Kongsberg they only attached Roros or Roraas to their name rather than a farm name. One unusual name used as a farm name is "Corporal". Anyone familiar with that place?

Unrelated question - would Mogn an Moen be considered separate names, or Moens a corruption of Mogn?

It was copper-mines in Rĝros
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2020 :  23:28:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jkmarler

My rough translation worked to death in the mine. Beg corrections from forumites.

Correct, Nicolai Olsen Jĉger fell and died in the mine
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2020 :  23:36:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I am trying to trace the ancestors of Nicolay Jaeger # 2299 in the 1801 census (Kongsberg, Syde-banen, No. 461) and his first wife. Nicolai's first wife was Kiersten (Kisti) Mogensdatter, Roraas. Nicolai's full name was Nicolai Olsen Jaegers as used in most of the church records. I have established a list of his, and his brother Peder's children, with the godparents. One son Lars is in the 1801 census #1875 at Sandsvaer Moen No. 349. From this list I have speculated that his mother may have been Abellone Catherine Nicolaisdatter, Lyindt or Anne Magrethe Mognsdatter and father Ole Mogensen Roraas. Kiersten's father also may be Mogn Olsen Roraas. Because of limitations in Rorass church records have been unable to prove anything. Many names spelled Moen in Rorass, most In Konsberg spelled as Mogn. Corporal shows up used as farm name with Moen spelling in Roraas.

Recidence in Kongsberg 1801; Skyde-banen todays Skytebanen, shooting range. The area is today a residential area
Go to Top of Page

halvelm1
Medium member

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2020 :  01:21:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After my 15/07 post and the tip that copper was mined in Roros. I found quite a bit of info on the internet. Including the following site: https://www.lifeinnorway.net/roros-mining-history/

Thanks all

Larry H
Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2020 :  00:09:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks for your help. I did not have any links because I am picking up work I did 15-20 years ago. I was working from old print-outs and notes. I need to familiarize myself with the Digitalarkivet of today and it's search capabilities.
One new item from these links is the possible name of a daughter of Nicolai - Margrethe Maria apparently born around 1800 with second wife. Is this is from her death & burial records? Must have died before census.

The other new info is Nicolais Olsen Jaegers death in 1802. Can anyone translate the cause of death?

I have found his wife's (Kirsten Mogensdatter) birth (22 June 1749) in the Roraas church book, so I am now pretty sure her father was Moens Olsen Corporals despite the different spelling of Mogns. Curiously, most of the spelling in Kongsberg books was Mogn/ in Roraas books Moen.

Mogens Olsen, corporal in the army. Kirsten Mogensdatter was Mogens daughter.

Go to Top of Page

Kċarto
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
5861 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2020 :  19:04:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was a fortress in Rĝros, Korthaugen Skanse, established 1711. The fortress had two walls. The only remainings of the fortress today is "Krutthuset" the Gunpowder-house build 1747 link

The miners were free from military service
In war-times against Sweden officers were send to Rĝros to support the local volunteers, as in 1718 (The great Scandinavian war) -1808 and 1814

I also believe Corporal was a family name, very strange and rare

Edited by - Kċarto on 24/07/2020 19:14:39
Go to Top of Page

halvelm1
Medium member

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 29/07/2020 :  01:03:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am still unsure of how to treat Corporal as a military title or unusual family name. Seems to be too many of them in the churchbooks to be military. I had also been thinking it was a section of Roros where miners lived and may have been used much as a farm name. The link from Kaarto is very good -- provides a number of great photos and historical info. Wondering if a good map of Roros circa 1750 also exists to download. One of the Corporals, Ole Moensen Corporal, would have been born circa 1705, so perhaps he was involved with the wars mentioned and adopted the Corporal as a name. I haven't been able to link him to my Moens Olsen Corporal.

Larry H
Go to Top of Page

halvelm1
Medium member

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2020 :  00:15:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I found 3 people (maybe brothers) named Corporal in the 1701 Roros male census. This would mean the name was in use before the war in 1678 and not military. The 1701 census is a good source since it is searchable.

Larry H
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article