All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Munkestoe Farm Oyestad, Aust-Agder
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

ToreL
Advanced member

Norway
818 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2020 :  19:32:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lyndal40

This is likely the marriage of the parents. Boye is unusual enough that I do not get many hits on the name in Aust-Agder.

Boje Sorensen
in the Norway, Select Marriages, 1660-1926
Name: Boje Sorensen
Marriage Date: 26 feb 1764
Marriage Place: Tromøy, Aust-Agder, Norway
Spouse: Anna Jacobsdatter
FHL Film Number: 123695

First record under 1764.

https://www.digitalarkivet.no/kb20070614640308

One important piece of info is missing from the transcription; the record says that the groom Bøje Sørensen is from Arendal, where the candidate born in 1739 was found. I believe that the recotd also says something about where the bride came from, but I can't read it.

Edited by - ToreL on 07/09/2020 19:34:34
Go to Top of Page

halvelm1
Medium member

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2020 :  19:36:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lyndal40

Regarding unnamed Boyesen in https://www.digitalarkivet.no/kb20070702630549
I believe I had looked at that entry, but discounted it because it clearly said son, but perhaps since no given name was entered (I am assuming it was not faded) it could be a mistake. However, May 1773 Bapt. means she was 14-1/2 at confirmation not 16? This could be seen as a one year error and possible?

Larry H
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2020 :  19:40:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It might be useful to look at a Bygdebok for more information. My great great great grandfather Lars Aanonsen Bråstad was born in Øyestad in 1797. I found some information about him in this Bygdebok.

Title
Øyestad Bygdebok
Author
Kjell J. Bråstad
Call Number
948.12 Oe 9 B72

Edited by - AntonH on 07/09/2020 19:41:57
Go to Top of Page

ToreL
Advanced member

Norway
818 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2020 :  19:56:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is the confirmation entry. To me it looks like Anne Elisabeth was confirmed in 1785, which would make her just 12 years old if the 1773 baptism is the right one. She would also be terribly young at her wedding.
Go to Top of Page

ToreL
Advanced member

Norway
818 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2020 :  20:29:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bøje and Anna also had s daughter Anna Elsebeth baptized at Tromøya Nov 5 1769. That matches later records much better.

Familysearch Original (Or the other way around...)

Edited by - ToreL on 07/09/2020 22:43:24
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2020 :  22:18:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice find Tore, I think that you have the correct child.

As much for my benefit as anything, here is a list of the children.

Jacob 27 Mar 1766 Tromøy

Sara 17 Sep 1767 Tromøy

Anna Elsebeth 5 Nov 1769 Tromøy

Unknown 7 May 1773 Øyestad

Søren 10 Dec 1775 Øyestad
Go to Top of Page

halvelm1
Medium member

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2020 :  01:18:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You guys are doing all the work! Tromoy is a different parish - explains why I couldn't find Anne Elisabeth in Oyestad. Perhaps I can find Erich Christensen in Tromoy. Sara Madsdatter must be correct mother of Anna Jacobsdatter since Anna named a daughter Sara. I had a few pages from the Øyestad Bygdebok,
Author Kjell J. Bråstad. I will have to look at them again, but they were poor copies and not the correct farms. Is it possible to view this book on line?
What is the Call Number 948.12 Oe 9 B72 used for, regular library loan?
It would be nice if someone converted the books to searchable pdfs, seems like there would be a market, but maybe copyrights prohibit.

The 5 Nov 1769 Tromoy parish Anne Elisabeth seems to fit all the facts. Concur with good find Tore.

Larry H
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2020 :  01:48:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
What is the Call Number 948.12 Oe 9 B72 used for, regular library loan?

This is a reference I grabbed from my Family Tree. I probably used this book at the University of Minnesota, Wilson Library.

I see the book is now filed under "TC Wilson Library General Collection DL596.O92 B74 1981 "

I used the book at the library but it is possible that you can obtain access to it with an interlibrary loan.

The book is probably available online to those with a Norwegian iP address but I do not have that or a VPN with a Norwegian IP address.

Edited by - AntonH on 08/09/2020 01:50:02
Go to Top of Page

ToreL
Advanced member

Norway
818 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2020 :  04:26:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Øyestad bygdebok is in two volumes. Here is some info on the first volume from a Norwegian library. The two volumes are also available online at the Norwegian National Library www.nb.no for Norwegian IP addresses.

I have access, but from the little search I have done, I have found nothing of direct relevance about these people. It looks like they were cotters or farmhands; some bygdebooks unfortunately have very little to say about these.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2020 :  05:46:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ToreL

quote:
Originally posted by lyndal40

This is likely the marriage of the parents. Boye is unusual enough that I do not get many hits on the name in Aust-Agder.

Boje Sorensen
in the Norway, Select Marriages, 1660-1926
Name: Boje Sorensen
Marriage Date: 26 feb 1764
Marriage Place: Tromøy, Aust-Agder, Norway
Spouse: Anna Jacobsdatter
FHL Film Number: 123695

First record under 1764.

https://www.digitalarkivet.no/kb20070614640308

One important piece of info is missing from the transcription; the record says that the groom Bøje Sørensen is from Arendal, where the candidate born in 1739 was found. I believe that the recotd also says something about where the bride came from, but I can't read it.

That is the first iteration of their engagement, there is likely 3 mentions and there is one on 26 Feb that is a bit more clearly written
Go to Top of Page

halvelm1
Medium member

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2020 :  20:01:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ToreL

Thanks for taking a look in the Oyestad books. I am not surprised there is nothing there. Years ago I did find some people referenced in the 3 volume under Skarpnes and the second volume under Natvig for another branch of the family. I ran it thru the translation program and got a crude idea of what was said. Some interesting goings on, fist fights, property acquisition etc. I will have to impose on someone for a better translation at some point.

Larry H
Go to Top of Page

halvelm1
Medium member

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2020 :  22:35:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Boye Sorensen it turns out was the first of 6 siblings also to be found in the 1634-1927 index. I noted Soren was a bodker which has some possible connections with two other events. First that Erich Christiansen and Ane Boiesdatter lived at a place called Bodkerbugten where daughter Ane Sophie was born. This place at Stranda under Asdal (1801 Census #1574), I thought was an abandoned wheelwright shop that housed farm workers and miners, but perhaps it was still in use to the trade. I don't know what Erich did; he died before the census year. The other connection is to a later ancestor Katrine Larsdatter (1859, Oyestad) who married Karl Olaf Knudsen who owned a carriage works in Arendal.

Larry H
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2020 :  22:34:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bødkerbugten means "Barrel-maker bay" or "Cooper bay".
The name likely comes from the barrel-makers who lived there and produced barrels for the nearby iron ore mine.

Go to Top of Page

halvelm1
Medium member

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2020 :  18:39:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tnanks for the clarification. I mixed up bodker, thought it was a wheelwright, not a cooper. I can't trust my memory for these Norwegian words, I should have looked it up. Glad to know about the iron ore mine. I knew about the miners there, but didn't know what kind of mine. Have a lot of miners among my ancestors - Roraas, Kongsberg and then to coastal areas. Is this migration discussed anywhere?

Larry H
Go to Top of Page

halvelm1
Medium member

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2020 :  18:57:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
jwiborg -
Thanks for nice clear map. Many of the farm names, I note, are still used today on road maps. I assume the iron ore mine was inland. Was it around Braastad? I also, spotted Nedenes on map near Natvigveien, I was confused about that because I knew it was an old term for Aust-Agder. Now I see it was correctly used as a farm name in the church books.

Larry H
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article