All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Bygland and Evje Farms Vassenden
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

halvelm1
Medium member

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2021 :  01:00:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Am I correct there is a Vassenden farm in Evje (hornes) parish and a Vassend farm in Aasdal/Bygland parish? What is Setesdalen in Bygland? What sogn would it be in?

Larry H

Hopkins
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
3351 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2021 :  13:56:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the Familysearch.org Research WIKI it informs that both Evje and Bygland have published bygdebøker and the WIKI gives a list of the farms included in each of those works.
https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/Evje_Parish,_Aust-Agder,_Norway_Genealogy
https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/Bygland_Parish,_Aust-Agder,_Norway_Genealogy

Setesdal is easily found online -
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Setesdal
Go to Top of Page

halvelm1
Medium member

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2021 :  19:22:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This information was very helpful. I had the 1915 Evje parish Bydgebok which includes Vassenden, but could not find much that helped. I understand a new one will be released soon. Not aware of the other books. I use familysearch frequently, but have not learned to use the resources beyond the Bapt/Marriage records, and not familiar with their WIKI entries. There are people added to the tree in family search involving Vassend in Bygland and Setesdalen (which I assume is the same as Setesdal) which I could not document. It could come from one of the books or the 1664-1666 clerical/civil census mentioned in the refs

Larry H
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2021 :  20:03:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Vassend and Vassenden should be the same farm.
It's located on the southern tip of the freshwater lake Byglandsfjord. Byglandsfjord is part of the river Otra.
Vassenden directly translates to "the water end".

Click to enlarge

Edited by - jwiborg on 25/02/2021 20:25:04
Go to Top of Page

halvelm1
Medium member

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 25/02/2021 :  23:16:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are a number of Vassendens listed in the Evje Hornnes kirkeboker, but it does not seem to appear on any Evje parish lists of farms. Several entries say "Vassend in Aardal", but most just state the farm usually as Vassenden or Wassenden. Is it possible part of the farm could be so far west it is in Evje? Does the variation in spelling Vassend vs Vassenden mean anything?

Larry H
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2021 :  00:20:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aardal church is just 5 mins north of the Vassenden farm I pointed out on the map. Vassenden is under the district of Aardal church.
The dotted line just below Vassenden shows the current border between Evje & Hornes municipality and Bygland municipality.
The Vassenden on this map is the Vassenden in Aardal parish in Bygland municipality. There is no other in Setesdalen.
The term "parish" does not exist today. The borders might have been slightly different from todays municipality borders. Old censuses shows Vassenden in Aardal in Bygland.
Evje and Aardal are neighboring districts in this remote countryside of Setedalen. People married across these two districts, and the wedding was often held in the bride's church.

Edited by - jwiborg on 26/02/2021 08:48:40
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2021 :  00:23:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by halvelm1

Does the variation in spelling Vassend vs Vassenden mean anything?

The difference between Vassend and Vassenden are the same as the difference between "water end" and "the water end"...

Edited by - jwiborg on 26/02/2021 08:58:16
Go to Top of Page

halvelm1
Medium member

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2021 :  18:52:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the full explanation! I can see why just the farm name would be written when there is only one Vassend farm and the parishes and churches are so close.

Larry H
Go to Top of Page

halvelm1
Medium member

USA
90 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2021 :  22:43:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Correction to my 2/25/21 post. Wassenden /Vassend is not included in the 1915 Bydgebok.

Larry H
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article