All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Peter Falk and son Christian Falk
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2021 :  17:25:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In following the thread at Brukernes eget forum, Per.H.Skaug has posted the marriage of Hans Pedersen Varen whose father is listed as Peder Jørgens Veien. And the Hans and his wife in 1875 Census. All from Edøy.

Good try tho, as I also thought it had great potential

Marriage

https://www.digitalarkivet.no/view/327/pv00000006544268

1875 Census

https://www.digitalarkivet.no/census/person/pf01052358000158

Go to Top of Page

Caroline Falk
Starting member

United Kingdom
27 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2021 :  17:47:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jwiborg

Did he steal some candles?

Messrs. Allsopp and Sons' pale-ale brewery at Burton-on-Trent

Yes yes yes! this is my Christian. I have saved this to my Tree. Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2021 :  20:20:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lyndal40

In following the thread at Brukernes eget forum, Per.H.Skaug has posted the marriage of Hans Pedersen Varen whose father is listed as Peder Jørgens Veien. And the Hans and his wife in 1875 Census. All from Edøy.

Good try tho, as I also thought it had great potential

Marriage

https://www.digitalarkivet.no/view/327/pv00000006544268

1875 Census

https://www.digitalarkivet.no/census/person/pf01052358000158

Sigh. Some days you get the bear, some days the bear gets you.

Edited by - jkmarler on 14/04/2021 23:50:50
Go to Top of Page

Caroline Falk
Starting member

United Kingdom
27 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2021 :  09:46:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you everybody. This is such a helpful site. I have been struggling with the search for Christian Falk (1841) for such a long time, years in fact. Sometimes I felt like giving up and then I get inspiration from complete strangers who are kind enough to take the time to look at the search. Again, thank you.
I have done the DNA test and I hope one day somebody in the Norwiegian area of my ancestry will be looking for their English links! I'm over here!! near Portsmouth in the UK.
It would definatly be a celebration!
There seems to be two lines of Christian Falk born around the right time. 1841 in Christiansund, lots of suggestions have come in for Christian August Falk, but it cant be the correct one as my Christian Falk remained in England after he got married in 1868, he became a Police constable and died a tragic death under a train in1908. Christian August Falk married in Norway in 1870. A close match, but not the right one. I will keep looking for him and hopefully something new will turn up.

Edited by - Caroline Falk on 11/05/2021 17:45:30
Go to Top of Page

Caroline Falk
Starting member

United Kingdom
27 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2021 :  17:46:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
in his wifes Bible it is written that Christian was born in 1841 but no date.
On the marriage certificate(1868) he is occupation is a Mariner , and his father is Peter.
On his Police register his place of birth is Christiansund Norway. I believe this has been renamed Kristiansund, which confused me a little.
On the first census (1871) that he is mentioned in, his place of birth is agan Christiansund Norway.
also, In the 1881 it says he is now a Naturalised British Subject.
I dont believe he ever returned to Norway as he had two sons. his untimely death was written about in the Paper as a tragic accident in 1908. He was hit by a train.
it is very kind of you to show an interest. I admit it can get a bit confusing when I search the Norwegian ancestry sites, but slowlyI am learning!
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2021 :  19:09:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wish you luck in your search. It was a good idea to have Karina Huseby start a search thread in Digitalarkivet (Arkivverket user forum), the more searchers the better. I was quite hopeful that the large group of searches on that site would be able to solve the mystery, but they gave it a good try.

Edited by - AntonH on 11/05/2021 19:31:16
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2021 :  19:19:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now that you have done your DNA test, have you got any matches with any norwegians?
If you trace their family tree, you can find a common ancestor.

Edited by - jwiborg on 11/05/2021 19:19:56
Go to Top of Page

Caroline Falk
Starting member

United Kingdom
27 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2021 :  15:30:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have added my ancestry.com DNA test results to FTDNA as suggested by someone on the Norwegian Geneology Facebook page so hopefully it will increase my results!
Go to Top of Page

Caroline Falk
Starting member

United Kingdom
27 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2023 :  12:52:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy new year!!
On the trail of Christian Falk from Norway!
My brilliant contact in Norway, working on this story for over a year, has been collecting data surrounding my DNA matches and has turned up trumps! A Eureka moment for me after almost 20 years of ancestry research.
So many mistakes I made by following the wrong Christian(without proper varification) in the romantic hope he was the one I was looking for have been disappointing. Leading me to delete from my tree back to Christian marrying his Elizabeth Biggs in1868. Along with the entires made in the front of the bible, I know from 1868 forward I had the right guy and was able to verify this with Census and certifications, along with newspaper articles and help from other members on the tree that gave me valuable snippets to add to my collection. I reached out to many many matches and now I feel confident to share the findings that would never have been discovered had it not been for the DNA matches and to the kindest of others who also took the test. I have also uploaded my DNA to Geni.
Christian Falk was not his real name, it was in fact Iver Einerson. He must have changed his name at the time of becoming a Naturalised British Subject. Quite possibly this was because he had committed a crime or had fathered illegitimate children, also a crime in Norway. He did indeed come from the area of Norway mentioned in later Police service reports and articles.
He was a member of the sea military (Navy) and jumped his ship The Vogt, skipper Selmer and became a deserter 8 aug 1865 in Swansea UK. He then took a new name Christian Falk, it was most likely a schoolfriend or neighbours name. There are lots of documents on the Geni website that can be opened. They are hard to read, but I am getting help to translate them, so will add this to the site. There is an actual Christian Falk from quite a renowned family in the area so that may be why he chose it. They have their own story.
I have much to learn about him and new searches to make prior to 1868 with the name Iver Einersen. The Norwegian system is very difficult to read, but I have help now which has been amazing.
Iver/Christian has family in Norway and there is a particular lady now living in Trondheim who has also taken the test and she has Iver in her tree, along with other DNA matches.
This lady had been researching her ancestry with the help of family members for the last 50years! Always drawing a blank on Iver/Christian at the same time in history that I also drew a blank. She had almost given up on him as had I. Then up pops this DNA idea and thankfully lots of people (if they choose to) all over the world are entering their details. Iver/Christian is the brother to her Great grandmother! She and I have been exchanging out Tree stories and some photos, it has been so satisfying after all these years. What is also remarkable, is that my contact in Norway found out that she lives 10mins from him in Trondheim and he visited.
The world is not so large after all.
Never give up!
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2023 :  17:34:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOW, great news Caroline. Amazing what you have accomplished.
Go to Top of Page

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 18/01/2023 :  20:26:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A reminder to all genealogists that you cannot be protected from an ancestor who wishes to lie...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article