All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Benjamin Christianson (1862-1917) - Thief R. F. MN
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

loyane

Germany
73 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2021 :  18:28:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Listers!

Bernt Christianson Gilberg aka Ben/Benjamin Christianson was born in Faaberg Co., Gudbrandsdalen, Norway Oct. 14, 1862. He emigrated in 1882 and married at Alma, Buffalo Co., WI on Mar. 10, 1889 to Mary Jensen, nee Urness, born in Hafslo Co., Sogn, Norway May 15, 1853, emigrating in 1862 to Wanamingo, Goodhue Co., MN. Her 1st husband Paul Jensen was a merchant at Red Wing, Goodhue Co., MN but they divorced, and Mary moved to Mondovi, Buffalo Co., WI.

Benjamin was for several years a store clerk, first in Mondovi, Buffalo Co., WI and later at Boyd, Chippewa Co., WI, but in 1900 the couple moved to Thief River Falls, Pennington Co., MN where we find Ben in 1905 as a merchant. In 1910 he is recorded as «living from own income», but the 1911 city directory lists him as a «deputy Register of Deeds».

What then happened I don’t know!

Benjamin Christianson is buried in the Oak Park cemetery at Mondovi, WI - having died in 1917, but I am unable to locate a death record for him neither in MN nor in WI! His wife Mary is said to have moved in 1920 to Minneapolis, MN where she died May 2, 1935. She had one son who was from her 1st marriage.

Having been a merchant and later a deputy Register of Deeds I presume there should be some documentation about him in Thief River Falls, MN. Maybe the local newspapers might have something on him - maybe an obituary or a notice of where he and Mary may have moved…?

I would be very happy if someone can please help me locate further information about the destiny of Benjamin Christianson.

Thanks a million in advance!

Very sincerely yours,

Lars E. Oyane

jkmarler
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
7765 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2021 :  23:37:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Pennington county newspapers are on "Old Fulton History" So far I have only found a 100 year look back mention published Wed 10 Jan 2001 page 9 col 3 in a column called "Turning Back the Times" from The Times and St. Hilaire Spectator which says "1901 One Hundred Years Ago--K.M. Hanson and Benjamin Christianson formed a partnership to open a general store here."

Thief River Falls Tribune, 15 July 1921 page 8 col 3 "Society News"
'The spacious lawn at the home of Mrs. Ole Finberg was the scene of a pretty afternoon party on Thursday when she entertained a number of friends in compliment to her sister Mrs. Ben Christianson of Minneapolis who is her guest for the summer...."

Thief River Falls Times, Thursday 17 Aug 1916 page 5 col 3 "Mr and Mrs Ben Christianson who had been visiting with friends and relatives in this city for several weeks, left Wednesday for their home in Gulfport, Miss."

There is a death index for the state of Mississippi in Ancestry which contains a Ben Christianson in the year 1918 in Harrison county which is the county Gulfport is located in.

Mrs. Ole Finberg appears to be a woman named Anne Ulnæs. Is that name familiar to you?

Edited by - jkmarler on 17/04/2021 00:08:54
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 16/04/2021 :  23:59:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Benjamin in 1909, Mary is mentioned

Benjamin Christianson
in the U.S., City Directories, 1822-1995
Name: Benjamin Christianson
Residence Year: 1909
Street Address: 115 Conley ave N Mary
Residence Place: Thief River Falls, Minnesota, USA
Publication Title: Thief River Falls, Minnesota, City Directory, 1909

https://ibb.co/FbGvRSz

Edited by - AntonH on 17/04/2021 00:01:30
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2021 :  00:07:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thursday,- July 10, 1919 THIEF RIVER FALLS TIMES
Mrs, Annie Finberg, Mrs. Fannie Christianson and Miss Carrie Urness, who were called to Gerry last Monday to attend the funeral of their brother-in-law, returned to their respective homes in this city last Thursday.
Go to Top of Page

loyane

Germany
73 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2021 :  00:48:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear Jackie, lyndal40 and jwiborg for wonderful news!

I am indeed impressed. Yesterday Mary Hill Masterson and today Ben Christianson!

So he and Mary retired to Mississippi, probably for health reasons, but now there is a question whether his exact date of death can be found?

There were many siblings in this Urness family, but I guess I have more-or-less control over the other ones.

* Anna Urness Finberg (1857-1937) had retired from Marshall Co., MN to Thief River Falls, MN in 1914

* Carrie Urness (1859-1941) lived in Minneapolis, MN

Mrs. Fannie Christianson must be a relative on Ben's side?

Thanks again for great information. This challenge is just about solved...

Very sincerely yours,

Lars E. Oyane
Go to Top of Page

AntonH
Norway Heritage Veteran

USA
9216 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2021 :  01:34:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
There is a death index for the state of Mississippi in Ancestry which contains a Ben Christianson in the year 1918 in Harrison county which is the county Gulfport is located in.

Ben Christianson
in the Mississippi, U.S., Index to Deaths, 1912-1943
Name: Ben Christianson
Race: White
Death Date: 1918
Death Place: Harrison, Misissippi, USA
Certificate Number: 29472

https://ibb.co/BVjMs0p

Death Index

Edited by - AntonH on 17/04/2021 01:55:18
Go to Top of Page

loyane

Germany
73 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2021 :  11:06:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear lyndal40 and other Listers!

Thank you very much for referring the MS state death index. I already contacted a good friend of mine in Salt Lake City, UT who told me the death records from MS are not online, and the only way he could see to get an exact death date, would be by purchasing a death certificate. But how long would that take...?

Maybe an obituary or a death notice can be found, either in Thief River Falls, MN or in Mondovi, WI?

Thanks again for your great assistance in this matter!

Very sincerely yours,

Lars E. Oyane
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article