All Forums | Main Page | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 NORWEGIAN GENEALOGY
 General genealogy
 Svend Knudsen, Jarlsberg Printer/Holmestrand
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LSnider
Starting member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2021 :  02:37:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi,
This is a continued investigation into my Knudsen family line. Svend Knudsen, born 1843, married Vilhelmine Karlsen, and was a printer. According to family "lore" he bought the Holmestrand newspaper in 1879, and changed its name to, Jarlsberg. In 1888, he sold part of the paper to a consortium, but continued to run it. He died in 1892, and his widow then ran the newspaper. In 1903, she sold the rest of it. I have tried contacting the paper, to no avail. Does anyone have any suggestions? I would like to see if they have any old papers from that time period with his name on it, showing he was the editor/owner, and possibly old photos of either him, or his wife.

Thank you for any assistance.

Leah Snider

ToreL
Advanced member

Norway
818 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2021 :  11:55:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From what I find in the book Norske aviser 1763-1920, the newspaper did not change its name until 1902/1903. The name before that was Holmestrandsposten. Here is a short obituary from 1892.
Go to Top of Page

ToreL
Advanced member

Norway
818 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2021 :  12:06:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Vestfoldmuseet/vestfoldarkivene appears to have a collection of old issues of Holmestrandsposten. (Link) Unfortunately, they seem to be from 1895 and onwards.

Edited by - ToreL on 08/05/2021 19:51:58
Go to Top of Page

jwiborg
Norway Heritage Veteran

Norway
4961 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2021 :  00:56:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Taken from the book Holmestrand og omegn : en historisk oversigt.
Author G. Graarud
Published: Kristiania: Forlaget Norge, 1907

In 1843, printer Fredrik Fredrik Juell established a printing house in cadastral numbers 62 and 63a, where he published Holmestrandsposten.
The first issue was published on September 3, 1843, but the first volume is counted from 1844, so that the newspaper celebrated its 50th anniversary in 1894. In 1848, a partnership was formed for the newspaper's operation with Juell as publisher until 1856, when the printer Johan Christian Eriksen took over the newspaper until his death in 1860. During his illness and death, there was a halt in the newspaper's publication, so that, among other things, the supervisory board meetings could not be advertised. The next owner of the newspaper was the printer A. Gran, in Broforsgården, until 1873, when the printer J. Erichsen from Drammen took over. Already in 1879 he had to sell the printing house to the printer Svend Knudsen from Drammen. He improved the printing press considerably, but when he had to give up his estate in 1888, a partnership was formed again, which bought the printing press and the publishing rights to the newspaper. Knudsen took over the operation, and after his death on November 30, 1892, his widow took over. In 1903, the newspaper and the printing house were sold to cand.jur. Jens Ludvig Stub, the newspaper's name was changed to Jarlsberg, and from now on there was more life in the business. Stub died by drowning on a sailing trip in 1904, and the business was sold to the current owner Sigurd Normann b. 1874.

Printer and merchant Svend Knudsen bankruptcy

Norsk Kunngjørelsestidende, Thursday, December 1, 1887

Printer and publisher of Holmestrandsposten Svend Knudsen passed away on Wednesday after a long illness, 49 years old. The deceased was for about 20 years employed at Drammens Tidende's printing house, and then 13 years ago he bought the newspaper Holmestrandsposten with associated printing. He was a good, hard-working man according to Drammens Tidende.

Nedenæs Amtstidende, Friday December 9, 1892
Go to Top of Page

LSnider
Starting member

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2021 :  01:52:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi Tore & Jan Peter,

Thank you both SO much for this information about my great-great grandfather, "the printer." It is wonderful to see both an obit & facts about what happened with the newspaper. This clarifies the family "lore" with some factual information & gives me a much clearer picture about the man in question. These pieces of info, really flesh out his life a bit more, and that means a lot to me. I appreciate the help & the translations, too!

Leah Snider
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Norway Heritage Community © NorwayHeritage.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000
Articles for Newbies:

Hunting Passenger Lists:

An article describing how, and where, to look for passenger information about Norwegian emigrants
    1:   Emigration Records - Sources - Timeline
    2:   Canadian Records (1865-1935)
    3:   Canadian Immigration Records Database
    4:   US arrivals - Customs Passenger Lists
    5:   Port of New York Passenger Records
    6:   Norwegian Emigration Records
    7:   British outbound passenger lists

The Transatlantic Crossing:

An article about how the majority of emigrants would travel. It also gives some insight to the amazing development in how ships were constructed and the transportation arranged
    1:   Early Norwegian Emigrants
    2:   Steerage - Between Decks
    3:   By sail - daily life
    4:   Children of the ocean
    5:   Sailing ship provisions
    6:   Health and sickness
    7:   From sail to steam
    8:   By steamship across the ocean
    9:   The giant express steamers

Search Articles :
Search the Norway Heritage articles

Featured article